2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

He mentioned him when he ran off everyone he's seen a lot of. As for Schnell, I wonder if they are pushing him to 2nd round with big overslot?  All along, Hostetler has seemed to know who they were likely to get in 2nd round.  If they go underslot with first pick, makes me think someone like Gilbert (another guy Nick listed as seeing a lot)

I feel like trying to force a guy down is so risky unless we know that Detroit, KC and Tampa don't want him because they will all have bigger bonus pools and more picks in front of us. 

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Considering I was just stalking Schnell's high school team to see how big they were because Hostetler said the teammates of the guy they looked at were big.....yes, please let this be over soon. 

😆😆😆

4 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

New pipeline mock draft just came out

https://www.mlb.com/news/casey-mize-still-favorite-for-no-1-draft-pick/c-279050910

The don't have Bohm going #3 any more. 

Edit: Also they drop a bomb saying Nick Schnell could be a back up option. Hopefully we are scouting him to try to get him to float to our second rounder and not as a first rounder. He is a popup 5 tool talent that could be like that Trout thing of not getting much exposure because of the weather, but that would be a crazy rise all the way to #4. 

That's funny you say that because I was listening to a podcast very recently, I can't remember which one, and someone mentioned his name.  Just said the name, nothing else, and I thought it was interesting that I had never heard of him before.

It would be a real shock, if the Sox took a high school outfielder, for their first pick. Very odd that Mayo suggested the Sox could take Schnell, "as another option" for their first pick. I'm curious, between the two Gator candidates, whom would you select, Singer or India?

At this point it appears to be Singer/Madrigal and either has merit. India would be an interesting underslot option as I feel he compares favorably to Madrigal with more positional flexibility. What I'm really looking forward to are the 2nd and 3rd picks. There should be some excellent options to select from including names like Beer, De Sadas, Steel Walker or maybe even someone like Heinkens drops to the 40s. Can't wait.

13 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

So there has been a ton of talk about the Giants going underslot with a HS pitcher. If Bart and Madrigal are both available at 4, who would you guys want?

Draft is in a few days and no one is locked in, so many names being discussed for top 5 (Mize, Bart, Madrigal, Bohm, Singer, India, Liberatore, Stewart) I'd guess they fall Mize, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, Singer but could definitely see a HS P go at 2, 3, 5, and MAYBE 4, I'm hoping for Madrigal at 4 or Singer if he's taken, Schnell is too big a reach for me even if it means saving $ for Murray (Which can be a disaster), etc.

Some interesting draft buzz from MLB Prospects Pipeline regarding Indiana HS OF Nicholas Schnell:

The first time the left-handed-hitting outfielder with very good tools across the board is mentioned is with the White Sox at No. 4 overall. They have been one of many teams to scout Schnell heavily of late. This isn't Chicago's Plan A, because even the biggest Schnell fans don't see him as the fourth-best player in the class. But he is a backup plan, a money saver that would allow the White Sox to be aggressive with other potential tough signs later on in the Draft. And they wouldn't consider him if they didn't like the Louisville commit's potential.

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-2018-mlb-draft-news-from-callis-mayo/c-277888816?tid=167757330

12 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't really understand much of the negative reaction to Brady Singer in here. If that's who they choose, I'm totally fine with it. I've seen Fulmer mentioned in here in comparison. Those guys aren't similar at all. Fulmer didn't even throw strikes in college. Singer doesn't walk people and has ideal 6'5 frame and could likely get to 200 pounds or so. 65 FB with tons of life and movement, really good slider graded as plus as well. Needs to work on 3rd pitch. Some reliever risk I guess because of the delivery but I think he's a starter. He could also be in the big league rotation at some point in 2019. I think the pick is going to be one of Singer or Madrigal at this point and I also think we should be happy with either. 

I personally think Singer is the most polished arm in this Draft and rate him above Mize, maybe doesn't throw as filthy of a pitch but much more sound, mechanics are a slight worry, especially at 4 but he's the top arm to me

Both of them should have an ETA of 2020

10 hours ago, mac9001 said:

After reading all the futuresox pieces I can't tell who i want anymore in round 1, so I'm just going to root for Beer in round 2. Just give me two solid collage bats with 1 & 2 and I'll be satisfied. 

Finally a sensible man who realizes how many young arms are already in place, yes you can never have enough arms but no reason to keep taking that high, especially if the talent isn't there

5 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Some interesting draft buzz from MLB Prospects Pipeline regarding Indiana HS OF Nicholas Schnell:

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-2018-mlb-draft-news-from-callis-mayo/c-277888816?tid=167757330

That is nuts that he could be the pick at 4. It would have to be a huge discount and it would make the rest of the draft really interesting. 

10 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

New pipeline mock draft just came out

https://www.mlb.com/news/casey-mize-still-favorite-for-no-1-draft-pick/c-279050910

The don't have Bohm going #3 any more. 

Edit: Also they drop a bomb saying Nick Schnell could be a back up option. Hopefully we are scouting him to try to get him to float to our second rounder and not as a first rounder. He is a popup 5 tool talent that could be like that Trout thing of not getting much exposure because of the weather, but that would be a crazy rise all the way to #4. 

L-Ville commit too, but has no business going even top 25, let alone 4...still rooting for the faster moving better hitting college bat Beer in Round 2 but Schnell is obviously an option

Just now, GenericUserName said:

That is nuts that he could be the pick at 4. It would have to be a huge discount and it would make the rest of the draft really interesting. 

Maybe the White Sox thinking in this draft is that it is better to get two top-30 talents (using saved money from No. 4 at No. 46) than one top-five player and another top 50-player. 

Maybe they LIKE Singer/Madrigal/others but don't LOVE them and see the above strategy as a better use of resources.

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

Maybe the White Sox thinking in this draft is that it is better to get two top-30 talents (using saved money from No. 4 at No. 46) than one top-five player and another top 50-player. 

Maybe they LIKE Singer/Madrigal/others but don't LOVE them and see the above strategy as a better use of resources.

It would be an interesting strategy. The Yankees may be doing something similar because it sounds like they are on Grant Lavigne in the first and that would be a big reach for a HS guy too. 

I wonder if there is some sort of us trying to zig while everyone else zags going on. It seems like so many teams want safe college guys in the first that maybe they are overvalued and good HS guys are getting pushed down, so we'll take that opportunity to go HS heavy with the draft. 

15 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Only think Schnell is in play if Singer and Madrigal are gone (not likely but possible), would definitely allow them to be more aggressive

I prefer Madrigal to Singer but I think Hahn and Co. prefer Singer, we'll see

I assume they expect MIze to be gone