2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will commit a minor felony if this happens.

Taking Singer over one of Madrigal/Bohm would make me unhappy. Kind of feel like they would pounce on Bohm given the latest draft tendencies.

3 minutes ago, Dunt said:

Probably just more smoke, but worth keeping an eye on...

My draft board would look like:

1) Mize if available, highly unlikely

2) Nick Madrigal

3) Brady Singer

4) Bart or Bohm

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yes. Please save us Philly.

If you look at the Phillies current window of contention, a college SP on the fast track to the majors makes a lot of sense for them. Singer could replace Eflin then Sixto Sanchez could eventually replace Arrieta when his contract is up. Would be a seriously interesting development for the Sox.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree, but get this weird sense Singer is their guy for whatever reason.

I'm curious what the last few years have looked like as far as late mocks go, and who the Sox end up taking.  Like was their a consensus guy the publications had us on, and was that guy taken if available?  I feel like the Sox have kept it close to their vest over recent years.

Just now, DirtySox said:

I'm curious what the last few years have looked like as far as late mocks go, and who the Sox end up taking.  Like was their a consensus guy the publications had us on, and was that guy taken if available?  I feel like the Sox have kept it close to their vest over recent years.

raBBit mentioned this the other day, but I don’t recall anyone connecting us to Burger last year.  Don’t recall if anyone connected us to Collins the year before though.

Collins wasn't that big of a surprise, i remember bleacher report having us to them. A little harder at 10 and 11 since they know the board less, but I remember a lot of Corey Ray, Kyle lewis, rutherford, etc.

Last year was a ton of JB Bukauskus, Jarren Kendall, Faedo, etc. and I don't remember Burger ever there.

I understand you want the best players available, but at the same time the Sox need to hit on this pick and I'm not sure I want to risk it on a pitcher (how has Fulmer worked out?). College bats are the safest route to go. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they pass on Madrigal/Bohm.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

I think and have thought that Brady Singer is their guy. If Mize, Madrigal and Singer are somehow off the board though or if they don't want Madrigal, I could be talked into Nick Schnell at #4. If he were willing to take $3.5 million to be the #4 pick, I'd consider it. That gives them $3 million to play with. You could theoretically sign the 2nd and 3rd rounder for over $2 million a piece or really splurge at #46 and pay someone like $4 million. It's an interesting way to maybe get two top 30 talents instead of a top guy that you might not love anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think and have thought that Brady Singer is their guy. If Mize, Madrigal and Singer are somehow off the board though or if they don't want Madrigal, I could be talked into Nick Schnell at #4. If he were willing to take $3.5 million to be the #4 pick, I'd consider it. That gives them $3 million to play with. You could theoretically sign the 2nd and 3rd rounder for over $2 million a piece or really splurge at #46 and pay someone like $4 million. It's an interesting way to maybe get two top 30 talents instead of a top guy that you might not love anyway. 

Seems way too risky.  Royals have four picks between #4 & #46 and the Indians & Rays have three each.  If you take Schnell at #4 you have to hit on at least one huge over-slot prep piece at #46 for it to make any sense and those teams mentioned above would have multiple bites at the apple to screw our plan over.

But for arguments sake, what guys would we be looking at with our second round if we took Schnell at #4?

I mean, if I took Schnell, I'm much more likely to give 3.5 mill + out to the second round pick and go after Hankins, Gorman, Turang, or Jordyn Adams with round two.

But, as someone else said, the comp teams can easily do that too.

I'd much rather just go India/Bohm/Kelenic/Swaggarty

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems way too risky.  Royals have four picks between #4 & #46 and the Indians & Rays have three each.  If you take Schnell at #4 you have to hit on at least one huge over-slot prep piece at #46 for it to make any sense and those teams mentioned above would have multiple bites at the apple to screw our plan over.

But for arguments sake, what guys would we be looking at with our second round if we took Schnell at #4?

That's what I don't get. Who is going to be sitting there because they required $4 million?

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's what I don't get. Who is going to be sitting there because they required $4 million?

HS guys that thought they'd be top ten or have signability concerns. Hankins, Turang, Adams.