2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

10 minutes ago, tpezz27 said:

Exactly...guesses. Yet people are assuming they all have these sources and assume it's Singer it's Singer because they mocked him there. They don't know!! And there is no way teams would tip their hand as to who they wanted anyway. Makes no sense.

The White Sox have been especially effective at not letting people know who they want the last couple of years. So all the Singer talk might be the best evidence that it's not Singer. Like I've said many times, I'll be happy with Mize, Madrigal, Bohm, or Bart. The only one of those 4 who I'm absolutely sure won't be available at 4 is Bart, and even them, maybe everyone has the "Bart will go 1 or 2" thing wrong, as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

So maybe the Schnell heat the pipeline guys were talking about was us checking out a high upside guy who might fall to our second pick. 

Which, it seems, every writer except Mayo understood. But since Mayo somehow has one of the widest platforms, fans all over are talking about rumors of second rounders going in the top ten. If you look at that last mock, nearly every pick in the top ten has some random names thrown into the paragraph that no one else is talking about at those picks -- and I'm willing to bet those are similar to Schnell in that they're really second rounders that Mayo has heard executives have seen.

12 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Keith Law had the White Soxtaking both Collins and Burdi. Burdi pick was one pick he was adamant about that would happen.

10. Chicago White Sox: Dakota Hudson, RHP, Mississippi State

They could also be in on Blake Rutherford or Corey Ray here. I've heard they're unlikely to take Zack Collins.

26. Chicago White Sox: Zack Burdi, RHP, Louisville

I was told this is a "lock" if Burdi gets this far.

I don’t understand why Mize is almost consensus 1.  I guess taking a pitcher #1 seems like you’re giving away the chance of 4WAR every day for 4WAR every 5th day.  

If I had the first pick every year I think i’d always take the best position player.   2nd pick is a whole different story.  

Just not sold on Detroit going pitcher with the state of their rebuild. 

13 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t understand why Mize is almost consensus 1.  I guess taking a pitcher #1 seems like you’re giving away the chance of 4WAR every day for 4WAR every 5th day.  

If I had the first pick every year I think i’d always take the best position player.   2nd pick is a whole different story.  

Because he's really good. He doesn't walk anyone, strikes out a lot of hitters, and has at least 3 plus pitches to work with. That's better than anything else this draft has to offer because Nick Madrigal is 5'7" or 5'8", not 6'1".

15 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Because he's really good. He doesn't walk anyone, strikes out a lot of hitters, and has at least 3 plus pitches to work with. That's better than anything else this draft has to offer because Nick Madrigal is 5'7" or 5'8", not 6'1".

Yea it makes sense for sure.  I guess I’m just rooting for a curveball draft day where Mize falls to us. 

29 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

WSD is a fraud

He has called quite a few transactions to be considered a fraud. I realize he can be a joke to follow on twitter sometimes but there's really no question that he has someone "in the know" that gives him info.

6 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

He has called quite a few transactions to be considered a fraud. I realize he can be a joke to follow on twitter sometimes but there's really no question that he has someone "in the know" that gives him info.

He had the Shields trade well before anyone. He does get stuff wrong and is sometimes annoying, but it is not like he made a lucky guess with the Shields trade. As you said, someone gave him that info.

I think he lost his source though. On one of the podcasts he said people in the organization were kind of mad he kept getting info so he had to stop. I figure he'll still throw out some hints come trading season, but I doubt he will have the full run down of all the organization's happenings like he did last year. 

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

That's not how WAR works, my friend. It's a counting stat -- so if a pitcher and a position player end up with 4 WAR, they are equally valuable. The pitcher gets more WAR per game than the position player.

4 hours ago, tpezz27 said:

10. Chicago White Sox: Dakota Hudson, RHP, Mississippi State

They could also be in on Blake Rutherford or Corey Ray here. I've heard they're unlikely to take Zack Collins.

26. Chicago White Sox: Zack Burdi, RHP, Louisville

I was told this is a "lock" if Burdi gets this far.

Keith Law does 5 mocks. 3 out 5 mocks he had the Sox picking Collins. 

We live in a golden age of information about prospects. Mock drafts aren’t a skill, it’s passing along rumor and constantly changing information to an audience that demands the frivolous exercise.

Mock drafts are fun to get an idea of player value. If you want them as a tool to understand who is in the know with certain teams, you’ll be disappointed. Enjoy a free big board of hundreds of scouting video and reports.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

That's not how WAR works, my friend. It's a counting stat -- so if a pitcher and a position player end up with 4 WAR, they are equally valuable. The pitcher gets more WAR per game than the position player.

I know how it works, I’m just saying getting impact every day vs every 5 days is something worth considering heavily if you are in the enviable position of having your choice between the best hitter and the best pitcher.  

34 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I know how it works, I’m just saying getting impact every day vs every 5 days is something worth considering heavily if you are in the enviable position of having your choice between the best hitter and the best pitcher.  

But also a pitcher touches the ball every pitch when he does play. A good pitcher can be responsible for 21 outs every 5 days. Meanwhile a position player, especially in the three true outcome era, will only field the ball a handful of times and bat maybe 4 times per game. Considering most of the value of position players is when they are hitting and then in that same 5 day window of the pitcher the hitter will only have a chance to impact a game ~25 times. So really when you think about that relation and not just how many days they play, it is basically a wash. 

57 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It's no cinch Madrigal is there, though, right?
I'm still in the anyone but Singer camp.

He might go #3 to Philly, in which case I see us taking whoever Philly passed on, whether it's Bohm or Bart 

4 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I think he lost his source though. On one of the podcasts he said people in the organization were kind of mad he kept getting info so he had to stop. I figure he'll still throw out some hints come trading season, but I doubt he will have the full run down of all the organization's happenings like he did last year. 

I don't think he lost his source, he mentioned today on the Red Line Radio podcast that he chooses to not leak certain information his way if he thinks it might break the deal. How much the actually gets told is another story, but I do think his source is still viable. 

5 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

He still posts the eye emojis when he knows something but can't say it. He knew of the Q trade before it was leaked.