2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Relevant to  my question, regarding where Singer would rank, on our list of prospect pitchers, since most of you agree that he would be behind all of our top guys, except perhaps Dunning, that would suggest that Brady wouldn't be fast tracked. He could conceivably be stuck in the farm system, for quite a while. There are too many good prospects in front of him. Seems a shame to draft a guy that high, only to have him stuck at AAA. Oh yes, I know, they can trade one, or more of their pitchers. Bottom line, for me, is to take a pitcher at #4, he should have Ace potential. Otherwise, I'd rather pick a position player. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Relevant to  my question, regarding where Singer would rank, on our list of prospect pitchers, since most of you agree that he would be behind all of our top guys, except perhaps Dunning, that would suggest that Brady wouldn't be fast tracked. He could conceivably be stuck in the farm system, for quite a while. There are too many good prospects in front of him. Seems a shame to draft a guy that high, only to have him stuck at AAA. Oh yes, I know, they can trade one, or more of their pitchers. Bottom line, for me, is to take a pitcher at #4, he should have Ace potential. Otherwise, I'd rather pick a position player. 

Highly doubt he’d be stuck. Not an issue.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Bart is going so high because of valuable a good hitting catcher that can actually stick behind the dish is...because it really is rare these days

Mize is no doubt more filthy than Singer but I still feel Singer is the better all around P

How do you reconcile that assessment with the fact that most scouts seem to say that Singer is a #2, or 3 starter? Mize is considered a potential Ace. 

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Who's this year's idiotic last minute faller like Devin Perez or Seth Romero?

(Don't say Heimlich who may not even be picked)

Any chance a top talent falls to 46? Long shot but perhaps Hankins whom I love

Yeah, Hankins, possibly Mclanahan.

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Bart is going so high because of valuable a good hitting catcher that can actually stick behind the dish is...because it really is rare these days

Mize is no doubt more filthy than Singer but I still feel Singer is the better all around P

I’d love to hear what you think makes Singer a better all around pitcher.  From I’ve seen,  Mize has the better arsenal of pitches and similar command.  I feel like it would be hard to make an argument for Singer over Mize and that’s not a dig against Brady.

Just now, Lillian said:

How do you reconcile that assessment with the fact that most scouts seem to say that Singer is a #2, or 3 starter? Mize is considered a potential Ace. 

Potential but I see risk and a good amount of it (not that Singer is risk-free)

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m always skeptical of these draft snippets.   I get some of these prospect gurus have sources within front offices and in the scouting community, but a lot of time the information is purposely misdirection and/or being leaked to drive down prices.  I believe Mize & Bart will go 1-2 because of how strong those specific rumors were.  And while Bohm has been connected to the Phillies, I have yet to here they are enamored with him by any means like the other two teams I mentioned and their targets.  At the end of the day, mock drafts are simply speculation with a pinch of industry gossip mixed in.  I would not be surprised at all to see the Phillies pass on Bohm tonight.

It’s mostly based off of scouting presence. Especially the Bohm thing to Phillies.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I completely agree.

I understand drafting BPA, but if Singer and Madrigal are rated on a similar level (which they should be) then they have to draft to positional player. I'd honestly rather take Liberatore over Singer anyway

Edited by Flash Tizzle

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Not sure either fall that far

Me neither, comps are gonna suck up some of that intrigue. Maybe if they all had deals and didn’t think they’d fall that far but low low chance.

Random draft thought: anyone remember the year (2007?) they were showing different draft war-rooms, most filled to the brim with personnel and computers, only to pan to the White Sox feed, where 5-6people were sitting around a table watching a TV lol. I like to believe we'll come a long ways

Edited by Flash Tizzle

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, Hankins, possibly Mclanahan.

Well, neither of those guys has fallen for the same type of reasons as Romero.

Romero, by the way, has NOT worked out so far, for the same reasons he fell in the drat in the first place.

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

Random draft thought: anyone remember the year (2007?) they were showing different draft war-rooms, most filled to the brim with personnel and computers, only to pan to the White Sox, where 5-6people were sitting around a table watching a TV lol. I like to believe we'll come a long ways

Absolutely...believe it was 2008

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Random draft thought: anyone remember the year (2007?) they were showing different draft war-rooms, most filled to the brim with personnel and computers, only to pan to the White Sox feed, where 5-6people were sitting around a table watching a TV lol. I like to believe we'll come a long ways

I don't know about the war room, but Hostetler has said a few times that we have one of the larger scouting departments. With the rise of analytics and teams like the Astros laying off a ton of scouts I would definitely believe Hostetler too, though it might not be as important now. 

36 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Well, neither of those guys has fallen for the same type of reasons as Romero.

Romero, by the way, has NOT worked out so far, for the same reasons he fell in the drat in the first place.

Yeah, true. Not sure I've read any issues on "character issues" or uh, steroids.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Ahhh two draft threads.  Do I move over to that one right around draft time? Is that its purpose?

We usually have a thread on draft day for discussion.  This has been a very open and general thread for all purposes, this one is more White Sox and draft day(s) focused.  This will probably be closed by this afternoon/evening to streamline things.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

We usually have a thread on draft day for discussion.  This has been a very open and general thread for all purposes, this one is more White Sox and draft day(s) focused.  This will probably be closed by this afternoon/evening to streamline things.

Really hope we end up snagging Madrigal in the draft. I tend to agree with Fangraphs that Singer is largely overrated. I won't be that upset if we end up with Singer, but I think he projects to be a #3/4 starter and not a #1/2.