2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
One thing to keep in mind was Hostetler did say he would have taken Zack Collins 1-1, and he wasn't exactly known for his defensive prowess, but this will be a whole different set of players.

Maybe it's still early but it's too bad there isn't a ARod or Ken Griffey Jr. out there, a no brainer #1.

He would have drafted Collins over Senzel? That would be a bad choice as he is now seen as a top 15 overall prospect.

Remains to be seen, but it would be great to land a truly elite prospect in the 2018 draft.

Edited by steveno89

There is quite a disparity between the early scouting reports on Beer, before he went to Clemson and the current assessments.

Look at how this report described him:

http://www.fueledbysports.com/seth-beer-scouting-report

"Average fielder with a plus arm, has the makings of a future right fielder."

"Talented base runner with plus speed, looks like a guy that could steal anywhere from 10-20 bases a season."

Good stuff from Longenhagen:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longen...cts-chat-815-2/

Nick

12:13 What did you think of Turang, De Sedas, and Gorman at the PG game in San Diego?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:15 Turang is a plus athlete, future plus glove at short for me even with just average hands. Arm is plus. Not sure what kind of impact he's going to have with the bat. I do think he's very difficult to strike out. He ground out a great AB vs Rocker Sunday night. But there's some length there, he pushes the ball the other way an awful lot, not sure there's enough for him to be 1-1 or anything like that.

12:16 De Sedas: Love the raw power from both sides of the plate, looked fine at short during in and out but didn't see enough of it in games to know if he fits there. That's something that will play out next spring but he's got first round tools. Worst case scenario for that kind of power with infield actions is what happened to Luis Curbelo two drafts ago where, once clubs started really watching him, he struggled to hit and fell.

12:17 Gorman was probably the best performer of the last few weeks. Hit in games, homered and doubled the opposite way in the last week, made some nice defensive plays, throws well. Looks great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Good stuff from Longenhagen:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longen...cts-chat-815-2/

Nick

12:13 What did you think of Turang, De Sedas, and Gorman at the PG game in San Diego?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:15 Turang is a plus athlete, future plus glove at short for me even with just average hands. Arm is plus. Not sure what kind of impact he's going to have with the bat. I do think he's very difficult to strike out. He ground out a great AB vs Rocker Sunday night. But there's some length there, he pushes the ball the other way an awful lot, not sure there's enough for him to be 1-1 or anything like that.

12:16 De Sedas: Love the raw power from both sides of the plate, looked fine at short during in and out but didn't see enough of it in games to know if he fits there. That's something that will play out next spring but he's got first round tools. Worst case scenario for that kind of power with infield actions is what happened to Luis Curbelo two drafts ago where, once clubs started really watching him, he struggled to hit and fell.

12:17 Gorman was probably the best performer of the last few weeks. Hit in games, homered and doubled the opposite way in the last week, made some nice defensive plays, throws well. Looks great.

Was just about to post that.

I've been watching a lot of the All American games and it seems like Kelenic makes a spectacular play in the field every game. My favorite guy for the Sox.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
Was just about to post that.

I've been watching a lot of the All American games and it seems like Kelenic makes a spectacular play in the field every game. My favorite guy for the Sox.

Kelenic does play for the White Sox Area Code team I believe too. He's my #1 guy right now as well.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
Also based off almost nothing other then seeing a few games last season, I'm jumping on the Eierman bandwagon.

He was my favorite player in the tournament last year. Reminded me of Tulo. I liked that he didn't seem overmatched by good pitching and had a lot of swagger. To me, he was a significantly better prospect than Burger

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Also recently read where he's been horrible hitting with wood bats the last two summers. I don't think he has a prayer of being a top 5 pick

I'm with you. With how talented this class is shaping up to be, I can't see a super one dimensional player like Beer being taken where the Sox will be picking. This is a good thing.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm with you. With how talented this class is shaping up to be, I can't see a super one dimensional player like Beer being taken where the Sox will be picking. This is a good thing.

Yes. At this point the only reason you take Beer is if you think he's a generational bat. A lot can happen next season for his stock to adjust.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Sox will have the 3rd overall pick at this rate

Good enough for one of Turang, Singer, Rocker (next year's "big 3") or Beer (whom with a strong junior year should be the top NCAA bat available)

I want the Sox to take a BPA approach (as seen with Rodon and Fulmer in '14 and '15) but am rooting for us to take an improved Beer

While his defense is still suspect, a bat returning to freshman year form would be a major get for CWS and likely more safe than a HS prospect (Turang or Rocker) and addresses a system need unlike Singer

This would have been a good year for a comp pick