2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

I am a Beer lover. That bat to me seems safer than any college/High School bat I've seen in recent memory. To me he is guaranteed a 3-5 spot in an order. But yes.. His defense blows. Hopefully he could stick at 1B or LF but even if he can't, his bat will be huge for a DH. What about this Wil Banfield? Now I much prefer taking a college player than a HS player and I honestly don't know much about him.. But everything I read seems great. Seems to be an outstanding defensive catcher with plus bat tools. Now if we somehow far in the 5 pick range, that could be interesting. Thoughts? Anyone know much about him?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 09:43 PM)
Wouldn't you be absolutely thrilled with a draft pick that results in a Paul Konerko like player?

Absolutely, if you are sure seth beer becomes Paul konerko you take him. The problem is that if a corner bat just turns out to be a little bit less but still solid there isn't any other value outside of the bat and a first baseman with a 105 wRC+ is almost a replacement level hitter even though his bat has developed quite good (but not great). That means the bar for such a bat is very high which is why most try to avoid it with a top5 pick.

You only take beer top3 if you are really sure that he is by far the best bat in the draft by some margin.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Sep 2, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
Give me a college hitter (Beer) over a HS arm any day of the week

Hmmm, while I understand what you are saying, I think you need to take each case. With that mindset, you are saying you would have taken Drew Stubbs over Clayton Kershaw. There are hundreds more examples. And while I know there are hundreds of examples of the prep arm flaming out, if you want to draft a guy that is going to be a superstar, there will likely be some risk involved.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
Hmmm, while I understand what you are saying, I think you need to take each case. With that mindset, you are saying you would have taken Drew Stubbs over Clayton Kershaw. There are hundreds more examples. And while I know there are hundreds of examples of the prep arm flaming out, if you want to draft a guy that is going to be a superstar, there will likely be some risk involved.

The fear comes alongside the White Sox track record with high school pitchers. The only successful pitcher the Sox have drafted from high school in the top 5 rounds since 2002 was Gio Gonzales.

One success in 15+ years. The other logic behind it is the "window for opportunity". Seth Beer has a chance to help the roster in 2019. A high school pitcher likely wouldn't be up until 2020 at the very earliest, unless they are a superstar out of the gate.

With that said, just get the BPA and plan on competing for years. If Singer is there, its almost a no brainer at this point. Reminds me of Kerry Wood in his better days.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
The fear comes alongside the White Sox track record with high school pitchers. The only successful pitcher the Sox have drafted from high school in the top 5 rounds since 2002 was Gio Gonzales.

One success in 15+ years. The other logic behind it is the "window for opportunity". Seth Beer has a chance to help the roster in 2019. A high school pitcher likely wouldn't be up until 2020 at the very earliest, unless they are a superstar out of the gate.

With that said, just get the BPA and plan on competing for years. If Singer is there, its almost a no brainer at this point. Reminds me of Kerry Wood in his better days.

If that is the case, they don't exactly have a great record with college hitters either.

The sox haven't tried enough high school pitchers over HS 15 years to have a rightful claim to say they are bad at it.

They have failed with just as many college pitchers.

They have failed with college hitters. They have failed with HS hitters.

HS pitchers are riskier bets and I can't say I'd be thrilled to take a HS pitcher in top 5 over the other types (College P, HS position, College position), but in that 11-25 range I'd be happy to try HS pitchers more. We didn't draft that many HS pitchers because we were too cheap to pay up for them. We drafted a lot of bad college pitchers because we were too cheap to pay for better.

The new structure should help us a lot and get a better sense of how much was bad player dev and how much was poor talent from 2000-2012.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
The sox haven't tried enough high school pitchers over HS 15 years to have a rightful claim to say they are bad at it.

They have failed with just as many college pitchers.

They have failed with college hitters. They have failed with HS hitters.

HS pitchers are riskier bets and I can't say I'd be thrilled to take a HS pitcher in top 5 over the other types (College P, HS position, College position), but in that 11-25 range I'd be happy to try HS pitchers more. We didn't draft that many HS pitchers because we were too cheap to pay up for them. We drafted a lot of bad college pitchers because we were too cheap to pay for better.

The new structure should help us a lot and get a better sense of how much was bad player dev and how much was poor talent from 2000-2012.

It is also where their biggest successes have lied for a long time now.