2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 09:22 PM)
McClanahan with a very rough start. Seems like his velocity was down. As for Bohm, he continues to rake. One thing to keep an eye on is he seems to be making a lot of errors of late.

I wanted to go to that game, I have season tickets to ECU but had practice for my 12 year old AAU basketball team tonight. ECU roughed him up bigtime. 3 inn 6 ERs

Chris Holba pitched against him for ECU and is rising up the charts for the draft. 8-0 with a 1.52 ERA right now. 46 Ks in 53 innings. Scouts are at all his starts now. One other ECU player for the 2019 draft is Bryant Packard. He is hitting .414 with 9HRs so far this year as a sophomore. 23-43 since he came back from a back injury with 7HRs. I have never seen a guy so dialed in. 6'3" and 210 lbs so he has good size already.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:09 PM)
Swaggerty had a pretty good day. Went 3-7 with 1BB 1K 1HBP 2HRs in two games of a doubleheader today.

So should this thread just turn into the daily Bohm & Swaggerty roundup?

Probably. I appreciate the daily updates, especially the quotes from different draft conversations Fangraphs and other outlets have.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:09 PM)
Swaggerty had a pretty good day. Went 3-7 with 1BB 1K 1HBP 2HRs in two games of a doubleheader today.

So should this thread just turn into the daily Bohm & Swaggerty roundup?

Wow.

Couple of observations about Swaggerty:

1.) it looks like he’s been adding some loft to his swing path this year and it’s been working well for him.

2.) I absolutely love his balance and solid base at the plate

3.) He also looks susceptible to high heat and will need to learn to lay off that pitch

Overall, with the little I’ve seen - I like. Low bust probability due to having many tools. Would be nice if he ended up being a lead off CF guy for 6 years of championship ball.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:16 PM)
Couple of observations about Swaggerty:

1.) it looks like he’s been adding some loft to his swing path this year and it’s been working well for him.

2.) I absolutely love his balance and solid base at the plate

3.) He also looks susceptible to high heat and will need to learn to lay off that pitch

Overall, with the little I’ve seen - I like. Low bust probability due to having many tools. Would be nice if he ended up being a lead off CF guy for 6 years of championship ball.

6 years of championship White Sox baseball sounds great to me.

In this quick article about the draft, Scott Merkin says that Hostetler was in Wisconsin scouting a game for a draft prospect earlier this week. Can anyone think of anyone else playing in Wisconsin this last week besides Kelenic? That's what my mind first jumped too, but I could be forgetting someone. Hostetler also said they are down to 8-10 names for #4 at this point. If the Wisconsin thing is Kelenic, that would mean the list probably includes him, Swaggerty, Bohm, and Mize as names we've been connected to plus Mize who everyone says has separated himself.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:39 PM)
In this quick article about the draft, Scott Merkin says that Hostetler was in Wisconsin scouting a game for a draft prospect earlier this week. Can anyone think of anyone else playing in Wisconsin this last week besides Kelenic? That's what my mind first jumped too, but I could be forgetting someone. Hostetler also said they are down to 8-10 names for #4 at this point. If the Wisconsin thing is Kelenic, that would mean the list probably includes him, Swaggerty, Bohm, and Mize as names we've been connected to plus Mize who everyone says has separated himself.

I would be shocked if McClanahan and Gilbert aren't included

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 05:55 PM)
10 errors now for Bohm, fielding percentage near .870. Again not sure what's considered good or bad for a 3b in college but he has seemingly made like 6-8 of those in last few weeks

Yeah, that is not good. As we get closer and he stays in the top group we should get a better read on his defense when the same people view him many times in a row so that they see both good and bad. I almost wonder how much of it is the playing conditions or field being bad. The Fangraph guys were pretty sure he would be at least average defensively.

Whoever said they liked Torres was on to something. Probably if he keeps it up he is probably gone before the second round.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)

Whoever said they liked Torres was on to something. Probably if he keeps it up he is probably gone before the second round.

:headbang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:27 PM)
It was. And it was really interesting to see them talking about looking at college relievers.

Yeah I thought that was the best part and makes sense. It's not just to find the best relievers, but to evaluate how their teams are using them and if they could be starters. ANd the focus on Louisville and Florida with that.

The other part is while last summer and at soxfest there was an emphasis on how they need to spread out their talent more, as it gets closer and in this piece it's clear that isn't THAT much of a concern. They aren't going to pass on a guy in the first 10 rounds that they like just because he's a college outfielder.

But after that, I guess we'll see less logan taylor's, destinos, etc.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)
I feel pretty confident we’re drafting a college bat. Unless Mize somehow falls to us, I expect the pick to be Bohm, Madrigal, or Swaggerty.

On that note, I saw this earlier: