2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 04:12 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3609165:date=Apr 16, 2018 -> 02:30 PM:name=Chicago White Sox)-->
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)
<!--quotec-->I feel pretty confident we’re drafting a college bat. Unless Mize somehow falls to us, I expect the pick to be Bohm, Madrigal, or Swaggerty.

On that note, I saw this earlier:

Does Madrigal really have a red flag? His size could potentially limit his upside, but he’s seems about as safe of a prospect as they come.

I wonder if the presence of both Robert and Basabe take some of the attraction of drafting Swaggerty away...pushing it more towards the middle infield?

With such a high pick in the draft, it shouldn't be a paramount consideration...but Swaggerty has a lot more value in CF than at a corner (see Benintendi).

Kiley McDaniel

@kileymcd

18m

In to see Georgia prep righty Ethan Hankins tonight and there’s heat from all over the first round, one GM and double digit scouting director/special assistant/VP types.

Gonna get some Hankins first hand report soon.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 04:33 PM)
Does Madrigal really have a red flag? His size could potentially limit his upside, but he’s seems about as safe of a prospect as they come.

Maybe size, maybe the injury, maybe he just didn't mention him because he hasn't played? Hard to tell, but its interesting that as much as there are so many good guys at the top of the draft, they all also have something that teams may not like.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 05:32 PM)
Maybe size, maybe the injury, maybe he just didn't mention him because he hasn't played? Hard to tell, but its interesting that as much as there are so many good guys at the top of the draft, they all also have something that teams may not like.

Can't that be said about any prospect though? If you look hard enough you can find a flaw everywhere.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 08:15 PM)
Singer has the psycho factor though that you can't measure

https://twitter.com/KAGS_Colin/status/87437..._site=forthewin

Mize has all the better pitching qualities that you can measure.

Mize is not only above Singer, several other pitchers are also above Singer while Mize has pulled away as the #1 prospect in the class.

I hope the Sox do not select a HS kid with #4. Too much can go wrong with a HS pitcher, and until the organization can prove it actually can develop a good major league hitter, I'd rather they draft a position player that high that is a bit more advanced.

If they want HS guys to try to balance it out, go crazy with the rest of the picks. They have to hit on #4.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:33 AM)
I hope the Sox do not select a HS kid with #4. Too much can go wrong with a HS pitcher, and until the organization can prove it actually can develop a good major league hitter, I'd rather they draft a position player that high that is a bit more advanced.

If they want HS guys to try to balance it out, go crazy with the rest of the picks. They have to hit on #4.

Well said. I don't think we have to worry about them taking a HS pitcher in the first round.

Sounds like Madrigal would be your guy. That floor is pretty high. He should be returning this weekend-ish.

Edited by DirtySox

I would have to be pretty certain that Nick Madrigal could stay at SS in the big leagues to take him at #4

Im all for drafting Madrigal. Above average to plus tools pretty much across the board. I want a guy I know is going to hit at the next level and I have the least doubts about him.

I don't follow the pre-draft stuff as closely as some of you, but I really hope the Sox take a position player with their pick. Yes, you can never have too much pitching, but the Sox do have gobs of pitching. We need more bats.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:25 AM)
I would have to be pretty certain that Nick Madrigal could stay at SS in the big leagues to take him at #4

With guys like DeJong and Senzel getting moved to MI positions, I think there is a strong case to be made that there is now greater possibility of unlikely guys now being playable in those positions due to shifting and the like. And some scouts are adamant he could be a great SS now, he's just at 2b because of the team set-up.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:25 AM)
Im all for drafting Madrigal. Above average to plus tools pretty much across the board. I want a guy I know is going to hit at the next level and I have the least doubts about him.

His small size shouldn't deter teams from selecting him in the top 10. His bat and plate discipline are for real, as is his speed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
With guys like DeJong and Senzel getting moved to MI positions, I think there is a strong case to be made that there is now greater possibility of unlikely guys now being playable in those positions due to shifting and the like. And some scouts are adamant he could be a great SS now, he's just at 2b because of the team set-up.

The only thing I would be worried about with him at SS is his arm strength. Those other guys had the arm, range was the question. Madrigal has better range, but I don't know about his arm.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't follow the pre-draft stuff as closely as some of you, but I really hope the Sox take a position player with their pick. Yes, you can never have too much pitching, but the Sox do have gobs of pitching. We need more bats.

From everything that has been said about the first few picks and connections to the Sox, it looks like we are definitely taking a bat unless Mize falls to us. If that happens then its likely the bats we wanted were taken and he is too good of a pitcher to pass up.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 10:41 AM)
Madrigal certainly seems like the most well rounded player. And hardest for the Sox to f*** up. Though I hate approaching such a high draft pick in this way.

They still can't scout amateur talent very well. Fulmer and Collins were pretty bad picks. Jury's still out on Burger. Even Anderson and Rodon are iffy. They don't have the greatest track record to say the least, so you kinda have to approach it from the "who is most likely to not completely f*** up" perspective. I chalk Hansen up to blind squirrel/nut.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 10:52 AM)
They still can't scout amateur talent very well. Fulmer and Collins were pretty bad picks. Jury's still out on Burger. Even Anderson and Rodon are iffy. They don't have the greatest track record to say the least, so you kinda have to approach it from the "who is most likely to not completely f*** up" perspective. I chalk Hansen up to blind squirrel/nut.

Hostetler has only been in charge of the last two drafts. I think it's a tad early to make any generalizations about Burger or Collins personally. He and his staff did not draft Rodon, Anderson or Fulmer though. I don't think it's fair to say for sure that they can't scout amateur talent. There are some things that they've done in the last two drafts that I don't like but I think it's entirely too early to state anything one way or another.