2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
Perhaps, but we will need to suck pretty hard to be picking in the top 5 next season to have a shot at him or Singer

I think they'll be doing something close to a scorched earth rebuild. I highly doubt they'll go as far as the Astros, but I would be surprised if the Sox aren't a bottom 5 team the next two years at least.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
The 2017 draft appears to be a decent draft year, but 2018 is looking to be better at this point

This year is stocked with college arms, but seems light on high school position players

I think you're right, it does look to be heavier on pitchers. The Sox love their college arms (TA/ Collins being exceptions) in the first round so there should be a good one available at #11.

Edited by BlackSox13

Some scouts are not sure if beer is really as much of a slam dunk at first overall. The bat is huge but some scouts see him more as a 1b rather than a corner of due to a lack of athleticism but definitely strictly as a corner of type.

Now if he hits like rizzo or Goldschmidt at first that wouldn't matter so much but generally teams are a little reluctant to draft a bad defensive corner of/1B at first overall even if he has the best bat. Could be a case like schwarber were you have clearly the best college bat but not really a position.

I think a lot depends on whether you believe if he can at least be solid in a corner. If he is adequate there his bat would play even at first overall but if he is a bad defender who is best served at 1b or DH some teams might like another option. Most teams like versatile up the middle players more nowadays.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Some scouts are not sure if beer is really as much of a slam dunk at first overall. The bat is huge but some scouts see him more as a 1b rather than a corner of due to a lack of athleticism but definitely strictly as a corner of type.

Now if he hits like rizzo or Goldschmidt at first that wouldn't matter so much but generally teams are a little reluctant to draft a bad defensive corner of/1B at first overall even if he has the best bat. Could be a case like schwarber were you have clearly the best college bat but not really a position.

I think a lot depends on whether you believe if he can at least be solid in a corner. If he is adequate there his bat would play even at first overall but if he is a bad defender who is best served at 1b or DH some teams might like another option. Most teams like versatile up the middle players more nowadays.

Well they basically have a season and a half to figure outif Collins is going to stick behind the plate. If not, then I would assume he ends up at 1B.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
I was saying if they view him as a 1B and possibly view Beer as an unathletic 1B it could.

No it won't. The roster of the ml team and current system has no bearing on who gets taken with a 1st round pick. You always take the BPA.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
No it won't. The roster of the ml team and current system has no bearing on who gets taken with a 1st round pick. You always take the BPA.

And it doesn't seem like that'll be Beer honestly if we pick top 5. Not if he is viewed at 1B (just looked at past 4 drafts in the first round). Depending on where we end up picking anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
And it doesn't seem like that'll be Beer honestly if we pick top 5. Not if he is viewed at 1B (just looked at past 4 drafts in the first round). Depending on where we end up picking anyway.

I don't see Beer as being quite as good of a prospect as everyone is making him out to be

The bat and power are certainly legitimate, but he is a well below average runner and fielder, limiting him to a 1B/DH role in the majors

You generally look for for higher upside at the top of the first round, because if the bat is not great he doesn't have much use anywhere else

• 2 months later...

I'm back on the Beer train. It looks like he finished strong since I last checked a few months ago when I was down on him. 16 HR, 64 BB (21.4% rate), 35 ks (11.7% rate), .298 AVG, .478 OBP, .606 SLG. If a team believes he can stick anywhere on the field (whether it be LF or 1B), he could legit middle of the order bat for a while.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
For those who follow college ball more than I, does anyone keep a somewhat up to date mock of the 2018 draft? Curious to see where Beer is slotted these days.

Thanks.

As soon as day 1 is in the books you can expect everyone to release their hot takes just like last year.

For those who follow college ball more than I, does anyone keep a somewhat up to date mock of the 2018 draft? Curious to see where Beer is slotted these days.

Thanks.

You won't be seeing any legitimate mocks for 2018 until late spring of next year. You might get some preliminary draft rankings in Februaryish though.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)

Thanks.

Not in too 3. Oregon St SS is

I think to go first overall beer needs a really crazy season with like a 1300 ops or so. This year he had a good one with a round 1000 ops but for his defensive profile to go first overall he needs to really go crazy with the bat. If he has a season like his 2017 season he might fall to like 7 or 8.

Thanks.

Can't really have a mock draft without knowing the draft order. Do you mean rankings?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
Can't really have a mock draft without knowing the draft order. Do you mean rankings?

They still do mock drafts. Typically they'll run the order as random or based on this year's standings

Example, here is one based on 2016 standings from April. http://www.fueledbysports.com/2018-mlb-mock-draft/

Edited by soxfan49

I think Beer's season was good enough that he will entering the 2018 season as the best pure hitter in the Draft. However, that does not guarantee him being taken No. 1 overall, let alone being in the top 5 or top 10. As this year has shown, Huira, the best pure hitter for 2017, isn't a projected Top 15 pick, largely due to his arm issue. But Beer also has defensive limitations and questions.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Grey is absolutely someone I'd consider with a high pick in 2018. The draft next year as a whole seems far better than this years crop and we're in prime position to take advantage.

#TheTankIsOn

I'm all aboard the Kelenic train.