2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:32 AM)
We are going to get a good player in the second round. There are so many good names in the 40s. Hell, we might be able to get Beer or Luken Baker in the third round at this rate.

Speaking of Baker, he just broke a bone in his leg and will be out a bit. He sure gets injured a lot.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:35 AM)
Speaking of Baker, he just broke a bone in his leg and will be out a bit. He sure gets injured a lot.

Yeah, that's why I thought he would definitely be available in the third. Power like that in the third could be a good pick even if he has injury and contact concerns.

Also, a name that wasn't on the list that we could target: Kody Clemens. He has been on fire lately and he might be able to play short. He has mostly played second because he had TJS, but if we think the arm is healthy and good enough to play short, he could be a steal.

EDIT: Looks like Clemens has actually been playing third this year, so he has the arm and middle infield experience and could offer position flexibility.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 08:30 AM)
For me, the order goes:

1) Mize

2) Bohm

3/4) Madrigal / Swaggerty

Those last two depend on whether our scouts feel Madrigal can stick at SS. If so, he’s an easy #3 for me.

Well having seen very little of all these guys, with my expert opinion (which is what really matters) I would go 1 Mize, 2 Madrigal, 3 Swaggerty 4 Bohm

I really wish there was a high school position player to take underslot at #4. The college bats have risen throughout the process just like they always do. They just have no margin for error. Alec Bohm will be 22 years old in August. If he has any setback at all, then he isn't debuting in the big leagues until he's 24. Madrigal has to stay at SS. Swaggerty is solid too but he just doesn't seem like a guy good enough to go #4. If they could sign their favorite HS position player or even Liberatore for like $5 million, that might be the best play. I'm expecting them to take a college bat at this point though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:52 AM)
I really wish there was a high school position player to take underslot at #4. The college bats have risen throughout the process just like they always do. They just have no margin for error. Alec Bohm will be 22 years old in August. If he has any setback at all, then he isn't debuting in the big leagues until he's 24. Madrigal has to stay at SS. Swaggerty is solid too but he just doesn't seem like a guy good enough to go #4. If they could sign their favorite HS position player or even Liberatore for like $5 million, that might be the best play. I'm expecting them to take a college bat at this point though.

I mean they could try to go underslot with Kelenic or Scott. Both of those guys also have their own problems but they could probably get them underslot and they both have as much upside, if not more, than the three college bats.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)
How many are there if you took only the PA Of the position players with the most games played?

That is what qualifying means. They have at least 3.1 AB/G which is the BA qualification standard. It means that somewhere around 40% of the guys who have played the most in MLB this season meet your "minimum" standard.

High School players aren't really the ones who sign underslot. That is typically a college kid thing where they have greatly reduced leverage as a junior who 99% for sure isn't going back to school.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:05 AM)
High School players aren't really the ones who sign underslot. That is typically a college kid thing where they have greatly reduced leverage as a junior who 99% for sure isn't going back to school.

Royce Lewis went underslot at 1 last year. It's pretty common actually. For example, lets say one of the HS bats knows he's going in the 8-10 range and will make $4 million. They would absolutely sign with the Sox for $5 million saving the team $1.5 million for future picks. Most of these guys are't going to school and they know it.

I think you might be able to get Scott, Kelenic, or Turang for a discount

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:29 AM)
Royce Lewis went underslot at 1 last year. It's pretty common actually. For example, lets say one of the HS bats knows he's going in the 8-10 range and will make $4 million. They would absolutely sign with the Sox for $5 million saving the team $1.5 million for future picks. Most of these guys are't going to school and they know it.

Are there really a lot of examples of going underslot with the top 5, and having that pay off big later on, since these pools have come into play? I hope it's rare the Sox draft up here. To take a guy they don't have as their top available player, so maybe they can get an upgrade around pick 40 doesn't do anything for me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:37 AM)
Are there really a lot of examples of going underslot with the top 5, and having that pay off big later on, since these pools have come into play? I hope it's rare the Sox draft up here. To take a guy they don't have as their top available player, so maybe they can get an upgrade around pick 40 doesn't do anything for me.

Off the top of my head, Correa allowed Houston to pop McCullers with their second pick. Amongst other overslots who haven't made it yet.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:37 AM)

I have said before, but I think the reality of the situation is they don't have true 1, 2, 3 rankings. They'll have similarly ranked players and will take the best deal to have flexibility if they DO have a higher ranked player later on who is a signing concern.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:26 AM)
I have said before, but I think the reality of the situation is they don't have true 1, 2, 3 rankings. They'll have similarly ranked players and will take the best deal to have flexibility if they DO have a higher ranked player later on who is a signing concern.

Assuming health reports check out, I believe Mize is No.1 on the Sox board by a relative margin. He is exactly the type of player they like. College pitcher with insane peripherals and pitchability.