2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
Too much to do at work for me to post Kiley draft snippets in case anyone wants to head that up. Some good stuff in there already.

Here's a good one:

Greg

12:36 Can Madrigal play 3rd on a regular basis? Particularly for a club like Phillies ?

Kiley McDaniel

12:36 I bet he could catch, might even throw a knuckleball do not tell this kid he can't do something; he's plus at 2B with an average arm and 70 speed he can play anywhere

12:37 he may be my new Albies how dare you question either of my tiny adult sons abilities

Re: de sadas

Josh Nelson

12:17 What are your thoughts regarding Nander De Sedas?

Kiley McDaniel

12:18 Covered it in the comments of the rankings article but he didn't hit as much as people thought over the summer (it was .180 or so over multiple events) and hasn't changed that this spring. I should see him shortly after being rained out a few times.

Re: connor scott

Jimmy

12:31 Connor Scott's tools look incredible. What's holding him back from being ranked even higher?

Kiley McDaniel

12:32 Other than staying healthy (all minor stuff), I'm not sure. I think the industry is too low on him and the explanations I'm getting are he only went to a few things last summer, he's had some minor injury stuff this spring and "I haven't heard him mentioned in the top 10 picks" so I think he'll be the guy I'm the high guy on.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
Too much to do at work for me to post Kiley draft snippets in case anyone wants to head that up. Some good stuff in there already.

I asked about Bohm's defense today and here's what I got:

Dunt: You guys believe that Bohm has the ability to stick at 3B, but his defensive numbers on the surface suggest that he hasn’t been great there this season. Where have his defensive struggles come from?

Kiley McDaniel: We don’t use those defensive numbers on big leaguers with professional scorers keeping track so it would be pretty silly to use those on college players in small samples. Some think he won’t be able to play 3B long-term, but I do and I think a majority of scouts do. He’s 6’4, though, so it’s not like it would be a huge upset if he moves eventually.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 01:20 PM)
Only other thing I wanted to bring up from the Kiley chat was him saying one team in the top 5 is seriously considering Bart. He'll probably mention it when they do the mock, but I just thought that should be brought up considering there is a 20% chance its us.

Bart?

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)
Only other thing I wanted to bring up from the Kiley chat was him saying one team in the top 5 is seriously considering Bart. He'll probably mention it when they do the mock, but I just thought that should be brought up considering there is a 20% chance its us.

I would say it's a 50/50 chance it's us, otherwise he would have said top 3.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:02 AM, JoeCoolMan24 said:
QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)

I would say it's a 50/50 chance it's us, otherwise he would have said top 3.

So I don't think it was us. In the fangraphs mock they mention Bart being connected to the Giants. 

32 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Former Sox pick Bryce Montes De Oca is a senior this year so has no option but to sign, apparently has control issues but still has great velo and makeup, wonder if CWS bites again

Wonder where he goes

Pitching Statistics

Year Team W L ERA APP GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER BB SO WP HP OBA
2016   0 0 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 0.1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000
2017   4 5 4.28 15 12 0 0 0 61.0 43 40 29 42 61 6 11 .207
2018 MIZ 4 2 2.64 8 8 0 0 0 44.1 24 14 13 25 51 2 4

Wonder where he'd be in CWS signed him, BIR? W/S?

Player Wire

https://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2018/

Interesting mock, although seems to be outdated

See a lot of siblings of prospects: Kolek, Kingham, Naylor

Personally hope CWS goes underslot at #4 with a HS INF (De Sedas, Turang, Gorman) but wouldn't mind Mardigal or local boys Kelenic or Thomas
Few interesting HS arms I like are Hankins, Rocker, and Liberatore

Going underslot early allows to overpay HS guys later on while still grabbing top talent

https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/craiglambert50/mlb/mock-draft/2018/

This mock seems much more up to date. Also, I wouldn't worry about the Sox at 4. From what it sounded like on the RLR episode with Hostetler they are definitely trying to go under slot with the pick. I think any of the three college bats who will be there would be willing to go at least slightly under slot. 

54 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

This mock seems much more up to date. Also, I wouldn't worry about the Sox at 4. From what it sounded like on the RLR episode with Hostetler they are definitely trying to go under slot with the pick. I think any of the three college bats who will be there would be willing to go at least slightly under slot. 

Not majorly into either of Bohm or Swaggerty although I do like Madrigal, but maybe a "reach" for a college pitcher like Singer or HS INF like HS INF like Gorman or Turang (Hahn said he was targeting a college P or HS INF this winter) would sign underslot

Going off this mock I'd love a haul of either Singer, Madrigal, or Turang in the first with either De Sedas or Thomas in the second, and either Naylor or Beer in the third
Should be a fun, productive draft

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

From the two interviews Hostetler has given over the last week, I think they're going to go slot and take a college player.  I will say I think Kelenic is more likely than anyone is suggesting.

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

From the two interviews Hostetler has given over the last week, I think they're going to go slot and take a college player.  I will say I think Kelenic is more likely than anyone is suggesting.

I've been thinking the same on Kelenic.  I reckon that would be an under-slot opportunity.  Though that's hard to say since his stock is kind of all over the place due to how little he's played.

23 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I've been thinking the same on Kelenic.  I reckon that would be an under-slot opportunity.  Though that's hard to say since his stock is kind of all over the place due to how little he's played.

I feel like they are trying to keep quite on the Kelenic front. If he has less hype for the top of the draft then its more likely he will be willing to sign under slot. 

I really think their top four is Mize, Bohm, Madrigal, & Swaggerty in some fashion.  Those guys all fit perfectly in our rebuild timeline.  I don’t see the Sox taking a HS arm at 4th overall and quite frankly I don’t think there is a HS bat with enough upside to pass on those four college guys.

13 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I would love this pick

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really think their top four is Mize, Bohm, Madrigal, & Swaggerty in some fashion.  Those guys all fit perfectly in our rebuild timeline.  I don’t see the Sox taking a HS arm at 4th overall and quite frankly I don’t think there is a HS bat with enough upside to pass on those four college guys.

I would say thought that it is probably easier to keep scouting of a HS guy quiet because the analysts probably aren't out there as often because they can't scout the other players on the team as much. I mean we didn't think Royce Lewis was going 1-1 until a few weeks, if not less, before the draft.