2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

I'm hoping the pick at 4 is either (In no particular order):

Mize (No way he falls to 4)

Swaggerty (They finally get their Benintendi, could be a fast riser)

Scott (Very toolsy but can rake)

Kelenic (The Sox connection is there)

Stewart (Curveball is disgusting)

On 4/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, GenericUserName said:

https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/craiglambert50/mlb/mock-draft/2018/

This mock seems much more up to date. Also, I wouldn't worry about the Sox at 4. From what it sounded like on the RLR episode with Hostetler they are definitely trying to go under slot with the pick. I think any of the three college bats who will be there would be willing to go at least slightly under slot. 

They even joked about how Hostetler HAS to say they are wanting to go under-slot, and even joked he would be fired if he ever said they planned to go overslot for someone. He said his answer to that question every time will be underslot, no matter what. So don't let that answer affect anything.

5 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I'm hoping the pick at 4 is either (In no particular order):

Mize (No way he falls to 4)

Swaggerty (They finally get their Benintendi, could be a fast riser)

Scott (Very toolsy but can rake)

Kelenic (The Sox connection is there)

Stewart (Curveball is disgusting)

Who is Scott? Don't recognize that name...

Am worried about our young pitching. I get the notion of BPA but with Rodon and Hansen hurting and Giolito and Fulmer struggling, I would use 4 on a polished college pitcher. If Mize is gone (and if he isn't its probably due to arm issues), I would be focused on Brady Singer or Logan Gilbert, two big (6'5") fireballers who have had great success over last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Am worried about our young pitching. I get the notion of BPA but with Rodon and Hansen hurting and Giolito and Fulmer struggling, I would use 4 on a polished college pitcher. If Mize is gone (and if he isn't its probably due to arm issues), I would be focused on Brady Singer or Logan Gilbert, two big (6'5") fireballers who have had great success over last couple of years.

I don’t think Fulmer’s struggles change any of the calculus.  Ultimately we need to convert three of Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Hansen, Dunning, & Cease into top of the rotation starters.  Rodon will be in the mix for a while as well.  We can always sign a veteran mid-rotation starter if needed to backup.  And if we can’t develop a #5 starter between the guys I listed and all our other pitching depth, then we have larger problems at play.

Therefore, definitely take BPA at #4 so unless Mize suddenly falls, that player should hopefully be a position player.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Who is Scott? Don't recognize that name...

Connor Scott, HS OF, Florida

He was considered probably a back of the first round type guy before the season, but he has really taken off. He is this year's Austin Beck, but he has faced better competition. He goes to the same HS as Kyle Tucker and they have similar swings. He is a possible plus hit/plus power and he already has 70 speed. He is probably below Kelenic in current ability and safety of hitting projection, but he offers higher upside because he is already faster and he has a big frame at 6'4" that is yet to fill out while Kelenic might actually be mostly maxed out. 

6 hours ago, JoeCoolMan24 said:

They even joked about how Hostetler HAS to say they are wanting to go under-slot, and even joked he would be fired if he ever said they planned to go overslot for someone. He said his answer to that question every time will be underslot, no matter what. So don't let that answer affect anything.

It was less the question and more him talking about the strategy will pool manipulation. He knows how deep this draft is and with the 6th highest pool we can be in a position to take advantage of that. With how uncertain drafting is, we are probably better off taking a slightly lesser talent underslot if we like someone who we think will fall rather than go overslot with someone who is just barely BPA. 

5 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Really pessimistic that the Sox will take the right guy at No. 4 if that player is a hitter. I'd honestly rather them take the consensus best hitter available using various draft publications. 

I'm pretty sure last year if we had done this we would have ended up with ... Burger...

17 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I'm pretty sure last year if we had done this we would have ended up with ... Burger...

It probably would have been Jeren Kendall from Vanderbilt, who the Dodgers ended up drafting. He has been brutal this year and his contact issues (well document prior to the draft) are very present. 15 games and 26 Ks.

Yeah, Vasil was confirmed by is school's trainer to have injured his throwing elbow, though they didn't say how badly. It sucks for him because he was trending up and was looking like a mid to late first round pick. An elbow injury this late in the process will probably scare a lot of teams off.

EDIT: Trainer said he felt tightness in his forearm and they believe it to just be an elbow strain. He will get an MRI and will be shut down for 3-4 weeks if its confirmed as just a strain. Considering he is a northern guy, he might actually have a couple starts left once he gets back. It will be interesting to follow this. 

Also, I know HS stats are less than useless, but Law said Torres ended up going 5 innings, striking out 14, walking 2, and allowing one ball in play. 

Edited by GenericUserName

https://247sports.com/mlb/scouting/Article/MLB-Draft-April-Big-Board-1-17--117665782

Top 17 for the draft from 247 sports. Two other 17 player lists will be released in the next two day to bring the total to the top 51.

Nothing really surprising in this one, at least for where we will be picking. He does signal more doubt about Bohm at third, but I feel like he has always been pretty low on his defense. Also probably lower on Scott while being higher on Rocker and India. 

29 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I know the Sox are not getting Mize, so I just want one of the 4 college hitters. Madrigal is still my preference, but I can't say I'd be upset with Swaggerty, Bohm, or Bart. It's really a nice position to be in. 

The Sox drafted 2 1b with their 1st two picks last year. Collins fielding has been a concern since he was picked 1st in 2016. I would be upset if they think Bohm is the best player at #4. He may very well be, but it would still disappoint me knowing that they didn't think anyone at a more premium position was good enough.

14 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Longenhagen prospects/draft chat:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-on-short-rest/

Also:

Greg
12:02
Any new draft buzz in the top 10 since your updated list and mock?
Eric A Longenhagen
12:02
I think we'd mock Swaggerty #2

Which probably means Brom drops to #4?

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which probably means Brom drops to #4?

Or Madrigal.  I'm really starting to favor him. I'm a proponent of BPA, but I keep coming back to "where does he fit exactly?" How do we convert him to catcher?

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1