2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

I dislike idea of Swaggerty more and more every day 

Dave: Kiley, Swaggerty’s average has dipped below .300 now, well off what he hit last year.  Is he trying too hard to hit for power? And how concerned should teams be about how he’s hitting right?

2:34

Kiley McDaniel: Swing is more power-focused and he’s a little stronger and he also had a weeks long spell (when I first saw him this spring) when he was out of sync and off balance. Some clubs are a little worried about this performance but others point out that he’s hot again now (I’ll see him next week to get a better sense), while other teams are worried about some maturity issues. Eric and I know the specific instances the teams are citing, so we aren’t just taking their word for it, as we’re careful not to spread rumors about player’s makeup, especially right before what could be (but hopefully isn’t) their only payday.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

From everything I see on Madrigal, he is a guy who is probably around a 45 today, with a ceiling around 50, maybe 55.  The other guys (Bohm, Swaggerty) probably grade more like 35 to 40 now, but a 60 ceiling.

That is a tough call, and it is why Hostetler makes the big dollars.

Personally I think Madrigal's ceiling is higher, but I understand why most wouldn't feel that way. I appreciate the general grade as well, but I was more looking for tool grades on Bohm. I imagine Madrigal is something like 60 hit 40 power 70 speed 60 field 55 arm.

If I had to guess for Bohm, I'd say something like 55 hit 70 power 40 speed 50 field 60 arm? Does that sound too high or low anywhere?

The Sox front office may be feeling a little cautious about their first pick this year. A high floor guy like Madrigal would be safer than the rest. With six CF in the minors now I hope Swaggerty isn’t being looked at. If not M, then Carter Stewart or Liberatore?  

17 minutes ago, Baker said:

The Sox front office may be feeling a little cautious about their first pick this year. A high floor guy like Madrigal would be safer than the rest. With six CF in the minors now I hope Swaggerty isn’t being looked at. If not M, then Carter Stewart or Liberatore?  

Gonzalez, Robert, Basabe, Booker, Rutherford, Polo?

Also, my preference right now is Madrigal followed by Bohm. I think one of the two at least will make it to 4, maybe both. I'm intrigued by both.

10 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Also, my preference right now is Madrigal followed by Bohm. I think one of the two at least will make it to 4, maybe both. I'm intrigued by both.

Same.  If neither make it to 4, I think I'm hoping for an under-slot Kelenic at this point.

Relative to the Madrigal discussion.

Kingery ascent, Albies doing his thing, Altuve, Gennett, Pedroia's career, Cesar Hernandez, Luis Urias killing Triple-A at age 20...how many is it gonna take before we stop caring that a guy is short if it's otherwise clear he's just good?

Buster Olney
@Buster_ESPN
Mookie Betts: 22 extra-base hits, 13 walks, 13 strikeouts.

Edited by DirtySox

I think the sox board looks something like this

1 - Mize (has seperated himself from the pack)

2- Madrigal (best college hitter, "safe" a "fast riser" and even though you go for BPA fits a need in the system that is lacking depth at MI)

3- Shane McClanahan (Best college LHP, throws smoke has a very good change up and developing slider, seems like something the sox staff has had more than a fair bit of success with recently and again fits an org need while still being very reasonable for #4, outside of Rodon, the system is barren of TOR LHP; Clarkin profiles as a back of the rotation type and is currently struggling, Guerrero Might develop into a Clayton Richard type and Flores is holding his own at A+ but doesn't feature TOR stuff. I don't see them going prep with their first pick.

4- India (I think he has a slightly lower ceiling than Bohm but can stick at 3B and possibly MI seeing as hes spent a ton of time at SS for Florida and just a higher floor in general while being able to provide value outside of his bat. Conservatily the sox may have a log jam at 1B between the major league roster Abreu, Davidson, Delmonico and our top prospects Sheets, Collins(possibly) Burger(that injury is no joke) and Yurchak. Bohm doesn't offer the the defensive specturm as India and I think the sox would be better afforded with "safer" college hitters.

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Its in another thread, but someone said Joey Bart

He'd be an interesting selection.  The hit tool is somewhat questionable, but the defensive side isn't in question at all.  I reckon he could be a slight under-slot savings as well.

26 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He'd be an interesting selection.  The hit tool is somewhat questionable, but the defensive side isn't in question at all.  I reckon he could be a slight under-slot savings as well.

Just yesterday Kiley mentioned that Bart is in play for the Giants @2, Reds @5, Mets @6, but didn't mention anything about us. 

10 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Just yesterday Kiley mentioned that Bart is in play for the Giants @2, Reds @5, Mets @6, but didn't mention anything about us. 

Not that surprised, the writers will have different team sources they trust.

It will be interesting to see how kiley's mocks fare this year after leaving a team/scouting again.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not that surprised, the writers will have different team sources they trust.

It will be interesting to see how kiley's mocks fare this year after leaving a team/scouting again.

I really want to trust Kiley and Eric more than Law after Law said that whole thing about his sources not lying to him while Kiley and Eric said they knew scouts did that and used that misdirection to get even more information. 

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

I really want to trust Kiley and Eric more than Law after Law said that whole thing about his sources not lying to him while Kiley and Eric said they knew scouts did that and used that misdirection to get even more information. 

I don’t put much stock into anything Law says. He lets his arrogance get in the way of his work.

11 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I don’t put much stock into anything Law says. He lets his arrogance get in the way of his work.

That's a shame. Law is usually first to identify when there is much higher industry consensus on a player than media consensus.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-5-3/

2:08    
James: Why is Greyson Jenista not a first round lock? Are teams worried about his position/glove?
2:08    
Eric A Longenhagen: ANd swing

2:26    
Joe: Keith Law had Atlanta taking Nolan Gorman in the draft today. Have you heard much about that connection?
2:26    
Eric A Longenhagen: No, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I’d have him with Oakland right now.

2:29    
Vander: Who are the prospects that the Reds have been most heavily scouting for pick #5? Are they interested in Kelenic?
Eric A Longenhagen: College bats and Singer

Tim: Whats the lowest Hankins and Vasil can go due to injuries? Any chance they fall to the second round?
2:31    
Eric A Longenhagen: The cluster of HS pitching in rd 1 was pretty tight and injuries have moved them toward the back of the group, so yeah I think they both could slip into the comp round and maybe one of them gets to rd 2.

2:40    
Wisco Badger: 15 a reasonable floor for Kelenic?
2:40    
Eric A Longenhagen: I bet someone pops him before that.

2:54    
Jacob: Nolan Gorman’s body has given some people pause about where he plays. Could he possibly end up at a corner OF spotto keep up his prospect value rather than 1B?
2:55    
Eric A Longenhagen: Yes, and I agree he’s backed up a little bit in this regard, but the chances of a team/Gorman fixing it and keeping him at third are still pretty strong.

3:00    
Jacob: Connor Scott has had some injuries thus far. Do you think that will drop him to the 2nd round? Is there a chance that he turns into a Austin Beck / Heliot Ramos toolsy OF that could hit for 50 grade or better power?
3:00    
Eric A Longenhagen: We think he fits in the 15-30 range and a lot of it is going to depend on who saw him healthy

3:21    
Roger: How large is the gap between Trevor Larnach and guys like Jenista, Pompey and Steele Walker? Which OF bat excites you the most?
3:22    
Eric A Longenhagen: Larnach has huge, effortless power. I’m off Pompey. Jenista is more tooled-up than Walker but I feel better about Walker getting to his power. I’d go 45 FV on Larnach (gap) Jenista and Walker (gap) Pompey

3:29    
Joe: What % chance do you give Mize going 1-1
3:29    
Eric A Longenhagen: 75

3:32    
Larry: Is Brady Singer trending back up?
3:32    
Eric A Longenhagen: His start against Mize was great and he’s the name we keep hearing that teams in the top 10 would run to for safety if their board blows up.

3:33    
Talkin sports with the boys: Who’s the best college bat that slips to the back of the first round?
3:34    
Eric A Longenhagen: Hmmmm, college bats don’t often slip unless they have contact issues. I guess Swaggerty could slip but not that far. Maybe Eierman

Where's Larnach projected to go? I was hoping that the White Sox might be able to get him if they get Madrigal (or honestly even if they don't, he has good power numbers with under 20% Ks). It would also be crazy if the White Sox ended up with Madrigal and Hankins, considering they were both in 1-1 discussion at points this year.