2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

1 hour ago, bmags said:

That BA list has some great names to watch around the white sox second round pick. At 49 (which is where I think we pick? I may screw this up) they have will banfield listed, the top HS catching prospect.

Up and around it include JT Ginn (i like a lot, but big project), Griffin Conine, Joe Gray, Alek Thomas, Seth Beer, etc.

So if I got this right I think our picks are 4, 46, 81, 108, then its normal (so 138,168,198, etc.)

As for that second rounder, there are a ton of good guys. Xavier Edwards who sounds like a more athletic HS version of Madrigal, Joe Gray who kind of sounds like Jason Heyward, and Mike Siani who probably has the same profile (plus arm/defense/speed with questions about the bat) as Luis Basabe. 

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

So if I got this right I think our picks are 4, 46, 81, 108, then its normal (so 138,168,198, etc.)

As for that second rounder, there are a ton of good guys. Xavier Edwards who sounds like a more athletic HS version of Madrigal, Joe Gray who kind of sounds like Jason Heyward, and Mike Siani who probably has the same profile (plus arm/defense/speed with questions about the bat) as Luis Basabe. 

Thanks! I know I'm on the internet and could have googled it, but you know, in the middle of writing and easily distracted already.

Totally agree on Edwards. Low power but totally a profile we are lacking. Should add that Torres was 55 on BAs list.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Thanks! I know I'm on the internet and could have googled it, but you know, in the middle of writing and easily distracted already.

Totally agree on Edwards. Low power but totally a profile we are lacking. Should add that Torres was 55 on BAs list.

Yeah, I just thought he would be gone by our pick. Him and Jordyn Adams seem like they have a lot of talk of them getting picked in the back of the first or the comp.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Yeah, I just thought he would be gone by our pick. Him and Jordyn Adams seem like they have a lot of talk of them getting picked in the back of the first or the comp.

Edwards or Torres with second pick would be awesome. Throw in Pinklington as someone who could also slip to mid 40s. 

20 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What if the Sox were able to get Jonathan India under slot? If we are going underslot, do we prefer him to Kelenic?

If the Sox can be sure he goes underslot, I would take a combo of underslot on India and overslot on a HS pitcher with pick #45.

I'm still hoping for Bohm or Madrigal, but India/Kelenic underslot paired with a HS pitcher at #45 would make me just as happy.

I'm all aboard the india train, really this is a year where it feels like having pick 2-7 is no different. India at #4 under slot and going heavy at #45 with a prep player would be fine by me or if someone like Eierman dropped. 

India's offensive profile reminds me of Daniel Murphy, and the fact that if he can't stick at SS means he will be able to at 2B/3B excites me as well. I'm with Law let him play SS on the farm if it doesn't work out you can always move him, he appears to have a great chance to be a major league contributor. With the depth this system has and the failures of the past the sox need to be able to produces regulars as well.

At this point, I think my top three are (1) Mize, (2) Madrigal and (3) Bart. I don't like Swaggerty's contact issues despite facing mediocre pitching and I am too worried about Bohm's defensive future to be confident enough to take him fourth overall. I love Madrigal because he just produces, and that is the most important indicator in my mind for future success. I don't care that we have Anderson/Moncada. Madrigal could always play third base or hell even left field. And I have really become high on Bart. By all accounts, he is a terrific defensive catcher with plus raw power. That profile at the catcher position is extremely valuable. 

Joey Murray is a pitcher at Kent State that statistically is on par with Mize and Singer. Good size and excellent track record yet no one seems to mention him among top draft candidates. Check him out.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How do India’s tool compare to Bohm’s?  I get the lack of track record is concerning, but good god his 2018 numbers are absolutely insane.  If the tools are legit, he suddenly becomes a solid underslot option.

I believe Bohm’s main question is his ability to stay at 3B whereas India’s is his lack of track record/legitimacy of power/blah results with wood bats. 

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Homers for Bohm and India today

Could be the best 3rd baseman in college is Luke Reynolds on Southern Mississippi. Hits from left side. Very under radar but higher OPS than India and huge power numbers.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Could be the best 3rd baseman in college is Luke Reynolds on Southern Mississippi. Hits from left side. Very under radar but higher OPS than India and huge power numbers.

He looks to have had a weird path where he took a couple of years off of playing. So he's a 23-year-old Junior this season. I don't see him mocked in any 1st RD drafts yet.

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He looks to have had a weird path where he took a couple of years off of playing. So he's a 23-year-old Junior this season. I don't see him mocked in any 1st RD drafts yet.

Looks like he lost a year of eligibility when he transferred to Southern Miss from Miss State. He doesn't appear on any mocks that Ive seen but looks like someone the White Sox would be interested in.

Another good day for India, 3 for 5 with his 15TH HR. How much of a factor is his playing in the SEC, the number one NCAA conference? It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season.

Edited by Lillian

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He has had a quality season, no doubt. I wonder how much his age will count against him though, as 23 is considerably old for a prospect to just be entering the minors. 

I wouldn't use a first or second round pick on him given the age.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Another good day for India, 3 for 5 with his 15TH HR. How much of a factor is his playing in the SEC, the number one NCAA conference? It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season.

India is likely playing himself into the top 10 picks for sure at this point, maybe even higher? 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

He has had a quality season, no doubt. I wonder how much his age will count against him though, as 23 is considerably old for a prospect to just be entering the minors. 

I wouldn't use a first or second round pick on him given the age.

Yeah, look at what Brent Rooker did last year and he was still only a comp pick. Even Bren Spillane this year is going crazy and BA has him at 164 in their top 500. Reynolds is all the way down at 401. So maybe he'll end up going in the 7-10 round area for a senior sign type discount. 

David Wildman is one of our writers at The Loop Sports. He recently published an interview that he did with Hostetler and there is some interesting draft stuff in there. It sounds like he's taking an extended look at Jarred Kelenic: https://theloopsports.com/2018/05/05/white-sox-director-of-scouting-nick-hostetler-talks-draft-prospects-and-ice-cream/

TLS: Are you able to tell me if you have a list right now of potential targets at number four overall?

NH: Yeah we do, we’re probably at about seven or eight right now. Seven comfortably. There is another one that we’re looking at that could fit there as well, depending on how the season goes and the weather breaks, we could finally get in there and get us some good looks. So we’re about seven or eight right now that we’re digging our teeth into, and like I said before, so I’ll say it over and over again, with my staff I can essentially focus on all of this. What we do from a first pick I can sink my teeth into that, I trust my guys that they’re going to get all the right information on anything extra that we need for those later picks.

The Loop Sports: The draft is in a little over a month. Where would you say you guys are right now?

Nick Hostetler: We’re still with the northern kids. We’re still evaluating those guys. For really the first and second time just due to the weather. With the warm weather guys we’re running some different guys in there now just to get a different opinion. It’s kind of more of the monitoring situation now with the warm weather guys, we feel really good where we’re at with the amount of looks we’ve had, and we feel comfortable that even if the draft were today, we feel really good where we’re at as far as our evaluation process.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I assume he's talking about Kelenic. As for Kelenic, he supposedly had a great weekend in front of a ton of scouts.

Yea.  I believe Klaw mentioned that he looked really good.  Unsure if he has a write-up.  Not an insider.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

David Wildman is one of our writers at The Loop Sports. He recently published an interview that he did with Hostetler and there is some interesting draft stuff in there. It sounds like he's taking an extended look at Jarred Kelenic: https://theloopsports.com/2018/05/05/white-sox-director-of-scouting-nick-hostetler-talks-draft-prospects-and-ice-cream/

TLS: Are you able to tell me if you have a list right now of potential targets at number four overall?

NH: Yeah we do, we’re probably at about seven or eight right now. Seven comfortably. There is another one that we’re looking at that could fit there as well, depending on how the season goes and the weather breaks, we could finally get in there and get us some good looks. So we’re about seven or eight right now that we’re digging our teeth into, and like I said before, so I’ll say it over and over again, with my staff I can essentially focus on all of this. What we do from a first pick I can sink my teeth into that, I trust my guys that they’re going to get all the right information on anything extra that we need for those later picks.

The Loop Sports: The draft is in a little over a month. Where would you say you guys are right now?

Nick Hostetler: We’re still with the northern kids. We’re still evaluating those guys. For really the first and second time just due to the weather. With the warm weather guys we’re running some different guys in there now just to get a different opinion. It’s kind of more of the monitoring situation now with the warm weather guys, we feel really good where we’re at with the amount of looks we’ve had, and we feel comfortable that even if the draft were today, we feel really good where we’re at as far as our evaluation process.

I read this and think "yeahh I'm gonna guess actual teams aren't vaulting players up and down their draft board with each week's performance"