2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

13 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It seems a lot of people have soured some on Bohm. Why? 70 grade raw power with a 15%ish walk rate and under 10% K rate sounds good to me.

Probably because the major defensive questions. Several scouts say he should be able to stay at third, but right now he looks bad there.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Probably because the major defensive questions. Several scouts say he should be able to stay at third, but right now he looks bad there.

I think I trust the Fangraphs guys more than anyone else out there, and they seem to be the highest on his defense.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Still on the Liberatore bandwagon here. Bart, Singer and Bohm round it out for me.

I like Liberatore, but I think the Sox almost certainly go with a college player that will be quicker to the major leagues at #4 overall. Mize is the only sure player that should be off the board as of right now. 

I'd be good with Singer/Madrigal/Bohm

22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox haven't been scouting Liberatore's last few starts that have been full of scouts/execs from teams picking in the top ten. I personally think he's a stud but Sox aren't taking him. 

High school arms are just so risky at the top of the first round, I don't necessarily blame them for passing in favor of college talent. See Tyler Kolek as a recent disaster example. 

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Still on the Liberatore bandwagon here. Bart, Singer and Bohm round it out for me.

I prefer Stewart because he has a 70/80 pitch in his curveball and he has better stuff than Liberatore, who is probably a better pure pitcher. 

Jim Callis mock draft at pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456

He links the Sox to the college hitters but says they are also on Singer, McClanahan and Kelenic. 

4. White Sox: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State

Chicago figures to pick from the same group of hitters as Philadelphia, though it also is looking at Singer, South Florida LHP Shane McClanahan and Wisconsin high school OF Jarred Kelenic.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jim Callis mock draft at pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456

He links the Sox to the college hitters but says they are also on Singer, McClanahan and Kelenic. 

4. White Sox: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State

Chicago figures to pick from the same group of hitters as Philadelphia, though it also is looking at Singer, South Florida LHP Shane McClanahan and Wisconsin high school OF Jarred Kelenic.

Interesting.  I was wondering if the Kelenic connection was there. From what I've gleaned in Law/Kiley chats, it sounds like Kelenic is a back-up plan for many of the teams picking at the top. Perhaps as an underslot option. I do like that McClanahan is still mentioned.  I'm not averse to Singer, but the upside on Shane is tantalizing. Feels like the type of pitcher that is right up the White Sox alley as far as cleaning up and fixing command issues.

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Interesting.  I was wondering if the Kelenic connection was there. From what I've gleaned in Law/Kiley chats, it sounds like Kelenic is a back-up plan for many of the teams picking at the top. Perhaps as an underslot option. I do like that McClanahan is still mentioned.  I'm not averse to Singer, but the upside on Shane is tantalizing. Feels like the type of pitcher that is right up the White Sox alley as far as cleaning up and fixing command issues.

I feel like we might be in on Kelenic more than people think. Hostetler mentioned getting to see a guy now that its warm and that was almost definitely Kelenic and there was another interview where he made inference to what could only have been Kelenic. 

Edit: Also for anyone who didn't read the article, the group the Phillies are looking at that was mentioned was Bohm, Bart, India, Madrigal, Swaggerty. So our board is basically Bohm, Bart, India, Madrigal, Swaggerty, McClanahan, Singer, Kelenic, which fits the 7-8 Hostetler keeps mentioning. 

Edited by GenericUserName

Man this is really tough.  Bohm is super intriguing to me, but after that there are a ton of question marks.  Really think cutting a huge underslot deal with India or Kelenic might make the most sense assuming Mize & Bohm are already off the board.  If we have to go full slot, I’d probably go with Madrigal or Singer in that order.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Man this is really tough.  Bohm is super intriguing to me, but after that there are a ton of question marks.  Really think cutting a huge underslot deal with India or Kelenic might make the most sense assuming Mize & Bohm are already off the board.  If we have to go full slot, I’d probably go with Madrigal or Singer in that order.

I would hope Singer would be an underslot deal. Getting him would already be disappointing enough. I think India on a huge discount (like 11th or 12th pick money) is the best play if the first 3 picks are the nightmare scenario of Mize, Madrigal, Bohm, much like what happened to the Sox last year at 11. If any of those three are available, the Sox should take them. Beyond that, I'm for a huge India underslot or a smaller McClanahan underslot. I'm starting to warm to the idea of Bart since the org is finally showing some ability to develop a hit tool. I'd be very disappointed walking away from the 4th pick with Singer, Kelenic, or Swaggerty.

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I would hope Singer would be an underslot deal. Getting him would already be disappointing enough. I think India on a huge discount (like 11th or 12th pick money) is the best play if the first 3 picks are the nightmare scenario of Mize, Madrigal, Bohm, much like what happened to the Sox last year at 11. If any of those three are available, the Sox should take them. Beyond that, I'm for a huge India underslot or a smaller McClanahan underslot. I'm starting to warm to the idea of Bart since the org is finally showing some ability to develop a hit tool. I'd be very disappointed walking away from the 4th pick with Singer, Kelenic, or Swaggerty.

Sounds like the Reds are all over Singer at #5, so I doubt you get him underslot.  India taking #10 pick money would give us roughly $2M to play with.  In a deep draft with very few elite talents, that makes the most sense IMO.  Having said that, I’m starting to get a bit worried there will be several teams in the 4 to 10 range looking to make underslot deals with India.  That could hurt our negotiating leverage and I’m only taking India at #4 if we get significant savings.