2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Do what the Astros did:  go prep, lowball the offer, do not sign, come back at #5 in a stronger draft next year (presuming that's still the rule).

And if he signs, you'll be way underslot and be able to use that premium in later rounds.

Edited by GreenSox

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That will only drive down his signing bonus, lol.   Plus we can give him one of those contracts that guarantees big league playing time in 2019/20.

Then we go Beer, Thomas (overpay) and Kyler Murray rounds 2-4 and WIN THE DRAFT.

Beer is very unlikely to last through the first round. He finished with terrific stats and plays in a tough conference. But then, I said that the other day.

Edited by Lillian

Finished 0 for the weekend. He's a definite pass for me (and no, not due to the particular weekend).  Still not sure what separates him from someone like the lead off hitter on his team. Lack of striking out is great, but weak contact doesn't help you much either.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Finished 0 for the weekend. He's a definite pass for me (and no, not due to the particular weekend).  Still not sure what separates him from someone like the lead off hitter on his team. Lack of striking out is great, but weak contact doesn't help you much either.

Shrug.  Slumps happen.  I'm still all aboard the Madrigal train. I'm still sold on his tools across the board with some optimism on the power potential.  I reckon it's going to come down to him and Singer at this point.  Though to be honest Kelenic is still an intriguing option.

Has anyone else gotten to the point where you don't really like any of the prospects at the top of the draft? I don't know if its just because we know the pick is one of five so we have more time to sour on each one, but at this point I feel like I'm not going to be happy with any of the possible picks.

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not to sound like I’m bashing Madrigal...but is not concerning that pretty much all of the 2-6 part of ORegon St’s lineup has video game like #’s?

Trevor Larnach is in first round consideration, Cadyn Grenier is likely to go in the first three rounds, and Adley Rutschman is one of the top prospects for 2019. Why would that be concerning?

8 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Trevor Larnach is in first round consideration, Cadyn Grenier is likely to go in the first three rounds, and Adley Rutschman is one of the top prospects for 2019. Why would that be concerning?

1st, I fully admit that I don’t follow college baseball so I could be very ignorant in my observations. Not afraid to admit that...

But when I saw the Oregon st offense it threw up a red flag for me. Weak competition? favorable hitting environment? My 1st instinct when I see 5 guys (Kwan has great #’s too) in a batting order that seemingly rarely get out is that something has to be up. Maybe team stats like this are more common than I’m aware of, but just seems almost too good to be true that all 5 guys are that good of hitters. 

I wont be upset with a Madrigal pick, but as I said earlier it’s definitely not a good year to have the 4th pick. The high end talent in this draft is lacking. Hopefully we can make up for it with a good haul of overall talent 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

1st, I fully admit that I don’t follow college baseball so I could be very ignorant in my observations. Not afraid to admit that...

But when I saw the Oregon st offense it threw up a red flag for me. Weak competition? favorable hitting environment? My 1st instinct when I see 5 guys (Kwan has great #’s too) in a batting order that seemingly rarely get out is that something has to be up. Maybe team stats like this are more common than I’m aware of, but just seems almost too good to be true that all 5 guys are that good of hitters. 

I wont be upset with a Madrigal pick, but as I said earlier it’s definitely not a good year to have the 4th pick. The high end talent in this draft is lacking. Hopefully we can make up for it with a good haul of overall talent 

What is the critique here though? College baseball is heavily regionalized and has a concentration of talent like other sports. High school stats would be against weaker competition and you’d find even non future draft picks with great numbers.

its why scouts exist, and many college players are judged just as much over their wood bat leagues and team USA competition, there are many different looks of these players.

Yes, except Bonds, with that juiced, super human body, had the ability to wave that bat around, like a tooth pick. And he was choked up, on the bat, as well.  That hitch would not be recommended for little guys.

Regarding the competition; One would have to think that the disparity of the various conferences would significantly affect the relative performances of players. A guy from one of the best conferences, who could put up great numbers, would have to be more highly regarded than a player, who put up similar numbers, agains lesser competition. That is why I so highly regard India's performance, this year. The SEC is probably the toughest conference in college ball.

Edited by Lillian

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, except Bonds, with that juiced, super human body, had the ability to wave that bat around, like a tooth pick. And he was choked up, on the bat, as well.  That hitch would not be recommended for little guys.

Here's a little guy, hands on the knob. There's no shortage of great hitters who had a hitch

Ricky Henderson may not have been tall, but he was hardly a "little guy". He was very strong. I would compare him more to Moncada, except probably stronger. He was one of the best built baseball players, in history. Madrigal is a runt, compared to Henderson:

http://www.baseballcardbust.com/2013/05/rickey-henderson-1992-score-dream-team.html

Edited by Lillian

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

What is the critique here though? College baseball is heavily regionalized and has a concentration of talent like other sports. High school stats would be against weaker competition and you’d find even non future draft picks with great numbers.

its why scouts exist, and many college players are judged just as much over their wood bat leagues and team USA competition, there are many different looks of these players.

Like I said, more of a slight flag that raises a question than a real critique. I don’t think it’s crazy question though. As you said, it happens in other sports. And in other sports players get overdrafted because their production was elevated surrounded by other great players. Is it not possible Madrigal saw a lot of fastballs hitting 4th surrounded by a bunch of guys with near .400 OBP’s?

I just looked at the hitting stats for the conferences, in which Madrigal and India play, respectively. India had the best numbers of anyone in the SEC, which is arguably a tougher conference. There were a few other guys, who outperformed Madrigal, in the relatively weaker, PAC 12 Conference. 

1 hour ago, credezcrew24 said:

Lol. The only "rule" expressed about a hitch is by anti-hitchers. Try harder the next time

Fine - you're using an exception to disprove a rule... someone with the bat-speed and strength of Bonds overcame it, a little guy like Madrigal should be able to as well.  You got me.
Mike Trout wasn't a top 5 pick; therefore top 5 picks don't matter.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Like I said, more of a slight flag that raises a question than a real critique. I don’t think it’s crazy question though. As you said, it happens in other sports. And in other sports players get overdrafted because their production was elevated surrounded by other great players. Is it not possible Madrigal saw a lot of fastballs hitting 4th surrounded by a bunch of guys with near .400 OBP’s?

Very skeptical that protection is ever a thing. But if that's the type of theory we are going off of, isn't it equally likely that having the leadoff hitter so consistently on base as madrigal is, he is causing the pitcher to be in the stretch more often and thus "inflating" the stats of these other hitters? 

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I was on the Madrigal bandwagon, despite the lack of power, until I read the word "hitch."
A lot of flaws in the upper environs of this draft.

You read "hitch" from a website I've never heard of, despite him being graded as having one of the best hit tools in this draft class by all notable, reputable, respected publications, and now he's a no go?

Edited by DirtySox