2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

8 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

He said regardless of position! That means its a position player, right ?! And the first thing he says is it doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues, so the first person he thought of was Madrigal! White Sox are drafting Nick Madrigal confirmed!

It does sound like he is talking about Madrigal, in that context. If that is the case, perhaps the 2020 infield will see Madrigal at 2ND, Anderson at SS and Moncada at 3RD. Works for me. Madrigal becomes the lead off hitter, and Moncada moves to the middle of the order, providing that much needed left handed presence. Those are 3 very speedy guys and 2 of them with power.

Now, you stick Eloy, Collins and Abreu in there, and yes I want Abreu extended, and you have plenty of run production. Davidson could still be the DH, as you have Collins and Moncada to provide the LH hitting balance. Who plays CF and RF would be the only unanswered questions and the Sox have plenty, from which to choose. Heading the list would be Robert, unless he needs more time. Adolfo is my favorite for RF. Then there are all of the other guys who could vie for a spot. Gonzales, Basabe and Rutherford come to mind. Oh, the possibilities. I can't wait. It all makes watching this losing season, more tolerable.

Lillian, you do realize they have more payroll flexibility than any organization in baseball over the next 2-3 years, right?

There’s no way they do this without adding 4-5 veteran players from outside the organization over the next couple of offseasons.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lillian, you do realize they have more payroll flexibility than any organization in baseball over the next 2-3 years, right?

I'm more surprised she's already giving up her Eloy to 1B idea. :lol:

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

I'm more surprised she's already giving up her Eloy to 1B idea. :lol:

That is still a possibility, depending upon whether, or not, they resign Abreu, what they do with Davidson and how fast the crop of other young outfielders develop. 

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no way they do this without adding 4-5 veteran players from outside the organization over the next couple of offseasons.

I understand that. I'd like to see them use some of that financial flexibility, to resign Abreu. Then, they might think about locking up some of these young guys, if they develop, as anticipated. And then, there is the bullpen. I want a "lights out" pen. Hopefully, they can accomplish that internally. However, if not, that might be a good place to spend the money. Those guys rarely require long term contracts, to which JR seems adverse.

Edited by Lillian

Lillian, some of those veteran bullpen contracts were eye-raising numbers this offseason...and those were just set-up guys who weren’t even “elite” in the opinions of most.

It does seem like a lot of those relievers were off the board early, whereas the position players got left holding the bag at the end with no suitors.  With Andrew Miller’s health concerns, he would seem to be one huge red flag.  That means Kimbrel becomes far and away the #1 target, but 5-10 teams will be kicking the tires of him.

Wade Davis, Greg Holland, Addison Reed, Morrow (Cubs), Nicasio, Bryan Shaw, Jake McGee, Swarzak, Cishek, Kintzler, Hunter, Neshek all got paid pretty handsomely this offseason.

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Madrigal and Singer are very much arguable as the BPAs where the Sox are picking. Not sure where you are getting the sentiment that the top of the draft is prep heavy other than maybe Liberatore.

Madrigal certainly is; Singer is on some boards.  But both have kinks that will have to fixed or worked around.  India, Bohm,  Bart, Swaggerty - none seem like true top 5 talents. 
Looks like a good year to get BPA via leveraging the draft and getting the value in later rounds or punt the choice into next year's draft.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lillian, some of those veteran bullpen contracts were eye-raising numbers this offseason...and those were just set-up guys who weren’t even “elite” in the opinions of most.

It does seem like a lot of those relievers were off the board early, whereas the position players got left holding the bag at the end with no suitors.  With Andrew Miller’s health concerns, he would seem to be one huge red flag.  That means Kimbrel becomes far and away the #1 target, but 5-10 teams will be kicking the tires of him.

Wade Davis, Greg Holland, Addison Reed, Morrow (Cubs), Nicasio, Bryan Shaw, Jake McGee, Swarzak, Cishek, Kintzler, Hunter, Neshek all got paid pretty handsomely this offseason.

You have a point. Any of these free agent contracts can become financial albatrosses. In any case, I'm sure that the front office will find some place to spend that money. There are always the injuries, particularly to pitchers and some of the "can't miss" prospects, may indeed miss.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

He said regardless of position! That means its a position player, right ?! And the first thing he says is it doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues, so the first person he thought of was Madrigal! White Sox are drafting Nick Madrigal confirmed!

He also said “it doesn’t matter if we just drafted it” so Bohm confirmed!

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, it COULD be India or Bohm, but almost all of the talk has been about drafting a player that plays either SS or 2B...and we haven’t heard India’s name mentioned much or even at all in connection with the Sox recently.

In all seriousness, India just seems like a total White Sox pick.  The underslot part of it would not be typical, but viewing him as a potential SS when the rest of the scouting community doesn’t would qualify.  So far with Hostetler at helm, we’ve drafted a catcher & 3B in the 1st round both viewed as likely 1B long-term by many experts.  Could see the same thing here except thinking India can be a SS while the vast majority see a 3B.  Hopefully I’m wrong, because I think Bohm & Madrigal are both superior prospects.

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Madrigal certainly is; Singer is on some boards.  But both have kinks that will have to fixed or worked around.  India, Bohm,  Bart, Swaggerty - none seem like true top 5 talents. 
Looks like a good year to get BPA via leveraging the draft and getting the value in later rounds or punt the choice into next year's draft.

You lose all negotiating leverage by punting the pick into next year and you lose a year of development time.  Seems like a risky proposition to take this early into our rebuild.  Just cause it worked out for the Astros one time doesn’t automatically mean it will work for us.

18 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Lot of notable names, I guess Reinsdorf goes round 35-40

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-draft-class-mlb-legacies-notable-names/c-277804970?tid=167757330

Larry King's sons and Alek Thomas notable Sox connections as well, didn't realize how highly thought of Thomas is, would love him in the second round if somehow he is still there, mixed ratings

Alek Thomas is a first round lock

June 1

Florida (Singer, India) vs Columbia, 12 PM CT

South Florida (McClanahan) vs Oklahoma State, 12 PM CT

Auburn (Mize) vs Northeastern, 1 PM CT

Oregon St (Madrigal) vs Northwestern St, 9:30 PM CT

Chances to watch some of the prospects, unless of course the pitchers aren't going.

Just curious but what became of Bryce Turang? Lots of buzz as top 5 and possible 1.1. Unless he is injured or really played poorly, why has he fallen off the map? Based upon what I have read, he strikes me as a reasonable comp to Madrigal...smooth middle IF who can run, flash leather and hit at top of lineup. The fact that he is LH hitter is also a plus. Anybody know where he got off to?

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Just curious but what became of Bryce Turang? Lots of buzz as top 5 and possible 1.1. Unless he is injured or really played poorly, why has he fallen off the map? Based upon what I have read, he strikes me as a reasonable comp to Madrigal...smooth middle IF who can run, flash leather and hit at top of lineup. The fact that he is LH hitter is also a plus. Anybody know where he got off to?

Still first-round caliber player, but not 1-1 or near the top 10 anymore. Didn't have a great summer with the bat and people began to question whether he could hit in the majors.