2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

14 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Fangraphs finally released their 2018 draft rankings. Lots of interesting stuff there. They gave Madrigal a 70 hit tool grade, along with 70 speed, 60 field, 50 arm, 50 (game) power, 45 (raw) power. Those are all future grades, of course, but the game power grade being higher than the raw suggests that they also feel the hit tool is so good that it will carry the power numbers with some XBH production that you might not expect from his raw power. They're also really high on Larnach in comparison to most places.

I really like both Madrigal and Larnach. I was hoping he'd be around for pick number 2, but sounds like he's a late 1st rounder at worst.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Interesting the game power is higher than the raw power. Don’t see that very often. 

Game power refers to in game power production such as XBHs, where raw power refers to how far/hard the player can hit the ball when he squares it up. To me, this suggests that they think the hit tool will carry his power production beyond what you'd expect from seeing the raw power.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I really like both Madrigal and Larnach. I was hoping he'd be around for pick number 2, but sounds like he's a late 1st rounder at worst.

I know that feel. I identified Larnach before anyone was really talking about him as a first rounder and hoped that he was a guy who would fly under the radar, but that the Sox would notice him while scouting Madrigal and nab him at 46. Now it looks like he could go as high as the early teens.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Fangraphs finally released their 2018 draft rankings. Lots of interesting stuff there. They gave Madrigal a 70 hit tool grade, along with 70 speed, 60 field, 50 arm, 50 (game) power, 45 (raw) power. Those are all future grades, of course, but the game power grade being higher than the raw suggests that they also feel the hit tool is so good that it will carry the power numbers with some XBH production that you might not expect from his raw power. They're also really high on Larnach in comparison to most places.

How'd I miss this? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

They just put out the tweet and guide explaining it, so really we got on it a couple hours before it was officially out. 

I love it.  Also for the folks that are obsessed with lists, it contains where they would rank in a top 100 MILB prospect list at the moment.  See below.

image.png

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Also worth noting is that Singer is no where on that list.

Yea.  Singer is pretty divisive across publications. 13th on Fangraphs' list, 4th on Baseball America's, 2nd on MLB Pipeline's. Law not sure, since I'm not an Insider. But I'm well aware that he thinks he's a reliever, so I'm guessing 20 to 30ish.

Edited by DirtySox

13 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I like Madrigal, but a huge part of me fears he is Kevin Newman redux. 

Well according to Fangraphs, he's like Kevin Newman if Kevin Newman was about a full grade better at just about everything.

Starting to wonder if Josh Stowers is high on a White Sox draft list somewhere.  He's been on a tear lately, and checks off some White Sox boxes. From Chicago. Mount Carmel high school. Plays at Louisville which the Sox frequently draft from. Patient approach. More walks then strikeouts. Speedy, 33 SB's this year. Chance to stick in CF with solid tools across the board.  Current slash line of .343/.471/.564.

Last: 148

Josh Stowers

4YROF

Notes:

School: Louisville
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 208 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Scouting Report: Buried on a star-studded Louisville roster his first two years, Stowers flashed hints of greatness batting in the bottom of the Cardinals order his sophomore season, hitting .364 in the College World Series en route to a more prominent role this spring. Louisville's best remaining position player, Stowers has batted in the top of the order and started in center field all season, slashing .311/.451/.483 with five home runs and 31 stolen bases in 37 attempts. The 6-foot, 205-pound righthanded hitter marries a plus hit tool with above-average speed and at least average power. Early in the season, Stowers struggled with a more pull-heavy, uppercut swing, but his numbers rebounded as he switched back to a more up-the-middle approach. While an everyday center fielder for Louisville, Stowers profiles as more of a left fielder in pro ball with a below-average arm. He doesn't have one key carrying tool, but the sum of his parts gives him upside.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Glad to hear Hostetler say they haven’t even discussed Moncada & Anderson being locked in at 2B & SS at the major league level as a factor when discussing potentially drafting Madrigal.  That is 100% the right approach. 

Hostetler is fibbing. 

Couple other thoughts from great podcast:

- still yet to hear Hostetler mention anything about Singer's stuff. It's all about his competitiveness

- definitely questions amongst Sox scouts about Madrigal's power. One scout thought he could put on weight still