2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
The Orioles, I should have known. It looked like the rest of the deals involved some pretty significant players.

The Orioles have traded their pick almost every year. This guy was traded in 2012 along with a "low level minor leaguer" for a round A pick. He literally was a -1 WAR player through 55 games at the time of the trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
If the White Sox think he's a left handed Frank Thomas, taking him #1 wouldn't be considered stupid 20 years from now if they were correct. But a guy who could be Carlos Correa wouldn't be bad either. The thing is, Beer's bat will probably be ready by 2020. A HS SS probably will not, and you are going to have to trust the White Sox developmental team.

A lot will happen between now and the draft. It will be interesting to see how they are lined up by the gurus next June.

I agree with all of this. If Beer's bat is that damn good I have no issue picking him that high. But that's something we have to trust our scouts on.

If the White Sox think he's a left handed Frank Thomas, taking him #1 wouldn't be considered stupid 20 years from now if they were correct. But a guy who could be Carlos Correa wouldn't be bad either. The thing is, Beer's bat will probably be ready by 2020. A HS SS probably will not, and you are going to have to trust the White Sox developmental team.

A lot will happen between now and the draft. It will be interesting to see how they are lined up by the gurus next June.

Yup. Again, the dude was putting up incredible numbers as a freshman. Even with a subpar sophomore year with extremely bad luck, he still put up sick numbers. The sox have already proven with their recent picks they advocate hit tools, power and high OBP and not so much about defensive accolade. Do I necessarily agree with it? Not really, but that also doesn't mean they can't improve with the glove. Burger and Collins for example were not drafted because of their defense. Again, if the draft were held today, I'm probably not picking him. It just seems like posters are more "in the now" from who has helium in regards to prospects.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
Yup. Again, the dude was putting up incredible numbers as a freshman. Even with a subpar sophomore year with extremely bad luck, he still put up sick numbers. The sox have already proven with their recent picks they advocate hit tools, power and high OBP and not so much about defensive accolade. Do I necessarily agree with it? Not really, but that also doesn't mean they can't improve with the glove. Burger and Collins for example were not drafted because of their defense. Again, if the draft were held today, I'm probably not picking him. It just seems like posters are more "in the now" from who has helium in regards to prospects.

I'd much rather roll with a top arm or up the middle prospect like SS or CF if drafting in the top 3 picks. Most solid mlb first baseman should rake already, they are not hard to find.

Drafting that high we should be looking for a potential franchise player at a key position. I don't see Beer being that pick, because he offers zero defensive value if the bat is not stellar.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
I'd much rather roll with a top arm or up the middle prospect like SS or CF if drafting in the top 3 picks. Most solid mlb first baseman should rake already, they are not hard to find.

Drafting that high we should be looking for a potential franchise player at a key position. I don't see Beer being that pick, because he offers zero defensive value if the bat is not stellar.

That is not what I was arguing and again, the sox aren't valuing defensive accolades like you are. If Beer puts up numbers even better than his freshman year, are you changing your tune? I'm firmly on the Turang train as I've mentioned several times and as fathom said, Kelenic is getting alot of buzz currently. It's going to depend if the sox want a kid ready 4-6 years down the road or one 2-4 years. Hell, noone has even mentioned pitching yet which would be a complete 180 from all of this.

I just find it funny considering you were one of the many here wanting Beer months ago (even have an avatar propping him) and now all of a sudden changing your tune.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
So is Beer basically Pat Burrell?

That is actually an interesting comp. Beer of course was the first freshman ever to win the ACC player of the year award.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
That is not what I was arguing and again, the sox aren't valuing defensive accolades like you are. If Beer puts up numbers even better than his freshman year, are you changing your tune? I'm firmly on the Turang train as I've mentioned several times and as fathom said, Kelenic is getting alot of buzz currently. It's going to depend if the sox want a kid ready 4-6 years down the road or one 2-4 years. Hell, noone has even mentioned pitching yet which would be a complete 180 from all of this.

I just find it funny considering you were one of the many here wanting Beer months ago (even have an avatar propping him) and now all of a sudden changing your tune.

I'll admit I changed my tune on Beer when I finally realized he was likely limited to 1B. And I'm not against drafting a 1B prospect in the first round, but most drafts have at least two elite talents and I'm not taking a bat-only guy at 1-1 or 1-2 unless my scouts are certain he's the greatest power bat in years. Maybe Beer is that guy (although I'm doubtful), but if you take him it better be based on merit and not on his potential signing bonus.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
Maybe Beer is that guy (although I'm doubtful), but if you take him it better be based on merit and not on his potential signing bonus.

Now that, I'm in complete agreement with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
So is Beer basically Pat Burrell?

Maybe in regards to power and plate discipline but IMO Beer has less swing and miss and I value his LH bat. Did Burrell play college ball with aluminum bats?

QUOTE (rodh @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Maybe in regards to power and plate discipline but IMO Beer has less swing and miss and I value his LH bat. Did Burrell play college ball with aluminum bats?

He did, but he was arguably the most dominanting freshman bat in NCAA history.

Nicknamed "Pat the Bat", his 1996 season was one of the best in college baseball history. He hit a home run in his first game in Orange, Green and White and tallied 5 in his first 6 games. He became the first Freshman in NCAA history to lead the nation in hitting with a .484 batting average. He totaled 23 home runs and 64 RBI's as the Canes advanced to the Championship Game of the College World Series, where he became only the 3rd player ever to win the CWS' MVP award when his team did not win the title. He was named a 1st Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball and Baseball America.

The third baseman followed that with 21 home runs, 76 RBI's and a .409 average in 1997, once again winning All-American honors. He toured with Team USA, hitting 12 homers in 34 games and was named Summer Player of the Year by Baseball America. In 1998, Pat missed 38 games due to a back injury, but still compiled 17 HR's with 47 RBI's with a .432 average, leading the Canes to the CWS for the 3rd straight year. He became the only Hurricane to win the coveted Golden Spikes Award, presented by USA Baseball as the nation's Top Amateur Baseball Player! His .886 career slugging percentage ranks 2nd all-time in NCAA history, and his .442 career batting average is 7th all-time, both school records. In the U.M. record books, he is 2nd in career home runs (61), 2nd in total bases (465), 5th in RBI (187), and 4th in walks (170).

The Jimenez trade and Rutherford/Robert acquisitions (not to mention Burger and Sheets) somewhat mitigate the need for a corner bat.

If you draft a college hitter, he better have the athleticism and versatility of a Bryant, rather than, say, Schwarber. Not even sure guys like Javy Baez and Happ have the ceilings we're looking at.

In an ideal world, you bring in guys like Correa or Lindor that could stick at SS, but also play 2B and have the requisite power for third as well...and obviously could play OF, with the best being able to man center.

Jose Ramirez right now is the model, Zobrist in his prime, what Merrifield does for the Royals, etc. Basically, a 900+ bat with the potential to play above average defense at multiple positions.

Right now, in that category, we have Moncada and Anderson...and you can make a strong argument for Leury Garcia. In terms of dynamic tools, you can add Luis Robert for the outfield, and Micker Adolfo when he signed (lacking the foot speed.) The jury is still out on Rutherford defensively.

Back to the subtopic, Y.Sanchez and Garcia are the most likely players to get that comp pick back from a contender...Nate Jones is too expensive and injury riddled. Or Avi Garcia, but you'd prefer blocked MLB talent back in return.

Finally, whoever scouted Justin Turner and Chris Taylor for the Dodgers, they deserve a huge signing bonus to come over to the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
Finally, whoever scouted Justin Turner and Chris Taylor for the Dodgers, they deserve a huge signing bonus to come over to the Sox.

I want to say Logan White, who now works for the Padres

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
And I'm not against drafting a 1B prospect in the first round, but most drafts have at least two elite talents and I'm not taking a bat-only guy at 1-1 or 1-2 unless my scouts are certain he's the greatest power bat in years. Maybe Beer is that guy (although I'm doubtful), but if you take him it better be based on merit and not on his potential signing bonus.

I feel he is one of the best all around hitters to come along in College in the last few years offering contact rate, walks and power. Is there a reason he cannot play the outfield? He appears athletically capable with a good arm and with repetition and coaching he could develop into at least an average defender.

This is one report on Beer from senior year of high school...

Seth Beer’s Scouting Report

Hitting

Beer has excellent bat speed and serious power potential, but right now he needs to focus on hitting line drives to all fields and stop trying to pull the ball every time. Looks like a future leadoff or two-hole hitter.

Fielding

Average fielder with a plus arm, has the makings of a future right fielder.

Baserunning

Talented base runner with plus speed, looks like a guy that could steal anywhere from 10-20 bases a season.

Seth Beer’s Pro Comparison

Brandon Nimmo – New York Mets

http://www.fueledbysports.com/seth-beer-scouting-report

Harrelson would love him just for being from Georgia...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
This is one report on Beer from senior year of high school...

Fielding

Average fielder with a plus arm, has the makings of a future right fielder.

Baserunning

Talented base runner with plus speed, looks like a guy that could steal anywhere from 10-20 bases a season.

http://www.fueledbysports.com/seth-beer-scouting-report

So why the projections to 1B or is that a generalization being made about him? Besides highlights I haven't seen him in a game situation so has anything changed since high school? Even in his highlights at Clemson he still looks athletic.

QUOTE (rodh @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
So why the projections to 1B or is that a generalization being made about him? Besides highlights I haven't seen him in a game situation so has anything changed since high school? Even in his highlights at Clemson he still looks athletic.

Weight gain/training table and ACC workout facilities?

I only consider beer Top3 when he truely has another monster year and is far and away the best college hitter. If he has another good year like last season (1000 ops) he is good but not top10 talent.

But if he has a 1200 ops like in his first year his bat might be so good that position doesn't matter so much. But at a 1000 ops he is just another good college bat he might be a corner of best case and 1b/DH worst case. If I get beer with a 1000 ops and a shortstop with a little 950 ops the choice should be pretty easily against beer. But if he truely dominates and is heads and holders above any other college hitter he might be worth taking a shot.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 07:38 PM)
I only consider beer Top3 when he truely has another monster year and is far and away the best college hitter. If he has another good year like last season (1000 ops) he is good but not top10 talent.

But if he has a 1200 ops like in his first year his bat might be so good that position doesn't matter so much. But at a 1000 ops he is just another good college bat he might be a corner of best case and 1b/DH worst case. If I get beer with a 1000 ops and a shortstop with a little 950 ops the choice should be pretty easily against beer. But if he truely dominates and is heads and holders above any other college hitter he might be worth taking a shot.

Scouting reports I have read indicate that Beer is a 1B/DH as a professional and will not stick in the outfield. I'm not sure I want to role the dice with a top 3 draft pick on a bat only player. We have plenty of time to scout and decide what the best possible option is. I'm not ruling out Beer, but I feel he's unlikely to end up being our selection.

From what I've heard (mostly what I remember from Belinsky tweets), the 18 prep class looks really good. They always look good the year before, but seemed unqualified.

I think we are sitting well by being bad this year. Beer isn't so good it makes or breaks the year (this is one of those posts that could come back to haunt me).

If you gave me the choice between the next Frank Thomas and the next Mike Trout, I am taking Trout every time as he can alter a game on multiple levels. But what it all comes down to is scouting. What are they telling you?

One thing to keep in mind was Hostetler did say he would have taken Zack Collins 1-1, and he wasn't exactly known for his defensive prowess, but this will be a whole different set of players.

Maybe it's still early but it's too bad there isn't a ARod or Ken Griffey Jr. out there, a no brainer #1.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
One thing to keep in mind was Hostetler did say he would have taken Zack Collins 1-1, and he wasn't exactly known for his defensive prowess, but this will be a whole different set of players.

Maybe it's still early but it's too bad there isn't a ARod or Ken Griffey Jr. out there, a no brainer #1.

If there were, though, we might see some more apparent tanking from our tanking brethren, making it harder to get that spot anyhow.