Sox a finalist for Derek Holland

DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
TR Sullivan ‏@Sullivan_Ranger 3m3 minutes ago

Derek Holland's suitors are still the Pirates and the White Sox

Please pass on this one Mr. Hahn. It's going to be ugly enough at Guaranteed Rate Field next summer. Don't make me watch Derek Holland pitch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Please pass on this one Mr. Hahn. It's going to be ugly enough at Guaranteed Rate Field next summer. Don't make me watch Derek Holland pitch.

What if he has a surprisingly good year and we can flip him for something at the deadline though? They have to start anticipating that kind of thing as well with a rebuild.

I'm ok with it. As of now: Quintana Rodon Gonzalez Shields Holland would be whatever. Fulmer should start the year in Charlotte.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
I'm ok with it. As of now: Quintana Rodon Gonzalez Shields Holland would be whatever. Fulmer should start the year in Charlotte.

Former highly though of prospect, injury struggles, going to a team that keeps its pitchers pretty healthy, with a guy in Charlotte who could step in to replace him at the trade deadline if he gets off to a good start? Correct format and appropriate use of resources.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
What if he has a surprisingly good year and we can flip him for something at the deadline though? They have to start anticipating that kind of thing as well with a rebuild.

I think Avi Garcia has a better shot at a GG than Derek Holland has of becoming good enough some team will flip a decent prospect at RH for his services.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
At first I thought this was referring to Greg Holland, I was very confused.

Derek Holland would be a great signing, you need someone to start, and if he does well, flip him at the deadline.

Holland can't require much to sign on a one year deal

What do we really have to lose?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
At first I thought this was referring to Greg Holland, I was very confused.

Derek Holland would be a great signing, you need someone to start, and if he does well, flip him at the deadline.

Guys like Holland, Jarrod Parker, and Tyson Ross on short term deals can be mutually beneficial for them to rebuild their value for FA next season and the Sox get a lottery ticket that they could cash in on July 31st.

I get signing rehab projects and hoping to get something, but this is a guy who first of all is always hurt. OK, you get fortunate and he's healthy. Secondly, gives up a lot of home runs. Not good where the Sox play. Third, throws very few groundballs. Again, not good on the southside of Chicago. He's the kind of guy who is behind the eight ball if things go his way.

There has to be someone out there to if it all goes right, has a decent chance of success. Holland just needs too many miracles to get something of value for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I get signing rehab projects and hoping to get something, but this is a guy who first of all is always hurt. OK, you get fortunate and he's healthy. Secondly, gives up a lot of home runs. Not good where the Sox play. Third, throws very few groundballs. Again, not good on the southside of Chicago. He's the kind of guy who is behind the eight ball if things go his way.

There has to be someone out there to if it all goes right, has a decent chance of success. Holland just needs too many miracles to get something of value for him.

Is Doug Fister an option? He is a groundball pitcher

None of this even matters to a rebuilding team with one and possibly two holes open in the rotation. Holland serves as a filler until a younger pitcher is ready or, the off chance Holland pitches well enough to be traded. Worst case scenario is he s***s the bed and the Sox release him. No harm no foul.

Meh, I actually think it would be a decent pick up. Especially if Q is gone.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Meh, I actually think it would be a decent pick up. Especially if Q is gone.

Trade Q

Sign Holland and Fister to one year deals. If they do well they might be trade worthy at the deadline.

Regardless we still need some bodies to eat innings for us next year

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
None of this even matters to a rebuilding team with one and possibly two holes open in the rotation. Holland serves as a filler until a younger pitcher is ready or, the off chance Holland pitches well enough to be traded. Worst case scenario is he s***s the bed and the Sox release him. No harm no foul.

I understand that. I am not against signing these types of projects. But, there has to be some way you can hope for success. Derek Holland, when healthy, isn't the kind of guy who profiles very well at the Rate. I would rather the Sox spend resources on guys, who if everything goes right keep the ball in the park, throw groundballs, strike people out...Those are guys other teams may give up prospects to acquire.

After the contracts that guys like Rich Hill and Brandon McCarthy got, I don't think injury is even that big of a deal anymore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
I understand that. I am not against signing these types of projects. But, there has to be some way you can hope for success. Derek Holland, when healthy, isn't the kind of guy who profiles very well at the Rate. I would rather the Sox spend resources on guys, who if everything goes right keep the ball in the park, throw groundballs, strike people out...Those are guys other teams may give up prospects to acquire.

I get ya DA. I just see this guy for what he is, a filler. Just like Dickey and Colon are for Atlanta while the Braves wait for their young pitching talent to become MLB ready.

Then you cut him, big deal. The guys with a decent chance of success are probably have much better suitors

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't see how a 1 year, $3m (Latos-esque) contract can hurt us. This pretty much implies that Quintana is close to being dealt.

No, but the reality is it's just pissing it away. Again, I don't have a list of guys, but there should be others who maybe strike people out or throw groundballs when everything is right. Those are the types to take chances on. Not some guy whose style doesn't fit the ballpark when he is 100%, which he probably will not be or Texas doesn't let him go.