Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Dude I'm as excited as I've been in years. To me it feels like the early 90s again. Sox are loading up on young talent and if they can get a few studs out of like they did then it will set them up for a great run in the next decade.

I get that you're disappointing to see favorites go but ripping the bandaid off has long been overdue on this roster.

This times a million. southsider2k5, I have had no reason to watch the White Sox past May in the last several years. At least now there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I'll gladly sacrifice April and May baseball for a team that down the road could have sustained success (a term Hahn likes to use a lot). That's the goal. I support that goal 100%. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen but they are making the right moves as of now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
To me, the big thing about this is we got three guys who could be high upside. Yes, bust risk exists, but getting three high caliber players is fantastic. I like this haul as much, if not more, then the Red Sox haul and the combo makes me feel better then Sale in isolation. Still, a lot of work to go and obviously a lot of risk in what the club is doing (but hey...not like we are defending divisional champs or anything, haha).

Very nice to see us, seemingly, take a very distinct and clear direction. I'm curious to see what else happens...Q obviously is most intriguing.

I want to bold this because I think this is very important. Hahn had discussions with the Nats before and probably at least had an idea of what he could pull from them for Adam. He probably has a similar idea with Q and some other teams. I bet Q goes for some bats and when you put the packages of all 3 together it looks even better than the deals did separately.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
Huh? If they really want they have massive chips left in Q and Rodon to trade for position players. This is what a rebuild looks like you get the most value you can, regardless of position, and sort it out later.

Good call. While Q seems like a lock to get some offense back, the Sox adding pitching could make Rodon a guy to get even more prospects back. Maybe not likely but possible

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m6 minutes ago Maryland, USA

I'm fascinated by how jubilant White Sox fan base is over the early stages of the rebuild. They truly wanted clear direction to embrace

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 11m11 minutes ago Maryland, USA

Here's something you haven't heard in a bit: If/when this deal goes through, White Sox would have a Top 10 farm system in baseball

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 14m14 minutes ago Maryland, USA

They also are coming off of an excellent 2016 Draft class and international signing period

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 16m16 minutes ago Maryland, USA

White Sox are about to add the No. 1 (Moncada), No. 3 (Giolito), No. 30 (Kopech) and No. 38 (Lopez) prospects per http://MLBPipeline.com

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Dude I'm as excited as I've been in years. To me it feels like the early 90s again. Sox are loading up on young talent and if they can get a few studs out of like they did then it will set them up for a great run in the next decade.

I get that you're disappointing to see favorites go but ripping the bandaid off has long been overdue on this roster.

The idea was supposed to be fix the problems in the organization. They didn't and they have used up two of our three chances to do so. We didn't get quantity in either deal. This is a worst case scenario.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Top Ten farm system. Almost has to be.

I don't think many systems can boast about having the best pitching and position player prospects in baseball. Just based off that alone, we're top 10, if not top 5. We lack depth in position player prospects, but I think Q can help with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
See that's the fun part. We would need an insane amount of luck just to get the staff back to where it was, and then you still don't have any position players. That isn't helping this franchise at all.

I get that and lets be clear prospects are just that...prospects. Even if they were position players. What Hahn did was get max value for Eaton and got at least equal value for Sale. True, no position prospects are really involved, but the bounty they got for Eaton was simply too good to pass up. I suspect the Sox are going to add some position players to the pipeline as well. The games are not over.

Shoot, this is the most excited Ive been about the Sox in a long time and hell I loved Sale and Eaton, but we gotta rebuild this ship. I figure about the time the Blackhawks are a bottom feeder the White Sox will be back rolling. With the Bears who the hell knows about them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
I don't think many systems can boast about having the best pitching and position player prospects in baseball. Just based off that alone, we're top 10, if not top 5. We lack depth in position player prospects, but I think Q can help with that.

It's reasonable to say the Sox at pitching prospects are what the north sides were at shortstop a few short years ago

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Cowley's been out of the beat for a while, but he thinks these moves are more indicative of Hahn running the show.

Couple of things:

This paradigm shift is all Rick taking the reigns.

Nobody will say this, but moving Chris and Adam was also about the clubhouse culture change.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m6 minutes ago Maryland, USA

I'm fascinated by how jubilant White Sox fan base is over the early stages of the rebuild. They truly wanted clear direction to embrace

I like the rebuild but can I just say there will be no jubilation come April when they can't even sell out Opening Day? When we get into the thick of its it's going to get scary ugly. Those who pay close attention in the winter make a fanbase not.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
I would think it's has to be higher than the #15 number thrown out.

I think it was close to that after yesterdays trade where the Sox probably acquired 3 of their top 5. Now they have 5 of their top 7.

To me its:

1. Moncada

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Kopech

5. Collins

6. Fulmer

7. Basabe

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
I get that and lets be clear prospects are just that...prospects. Even if they were position players. What Hahn did was get max value for Eaton and got at least equal value for Sale. True, no position prospects are really involved, but the bounty they got for Eaton was simply too good to pass up. I suspect the Sox are going to add some position players to the pipeline as well. The games are not over.

Shoot, this is the most excited Ive been about the Sox in a long time and hell I loved Sale and Eaton, but we gotta rebuild this ship. I figure about the time the Blackhawks are a bottom feeder the White Sox will be back rolling. With the Bears who the hell knows about them.

Is Yoan Moncada, the #1 overall prospect in baseball, who plays 2B, dead? Last time I checked he's now a White Sox.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
I like the rebuild but can I just say there will be no jubilation come April when they can't even sell out Opening Day? When we get into the thick of its it's going to get scary ugly. Those who pay close attention in the winter make a fanbase not.

If you're scared about dropping to 15,000 tickets a game from 20,000 tickets a game and your ballpark holds 38,000 - you are not thinking this through. If you're scared about your tv ratings dropping and your TV ratings are 30th/30 teams, you are not thinking correctly.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)

Not exactly like fans were showing up in droves last season. Sox were 26th in attendance. Only a few spots from the bottom.