Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Dude I'm as excited as I've been in years. To me it feels like the early 90s again. Sox are loading up on young talent and if they can get a few studs out of like they did then it will set them up for a great run in the next decade.

I get that you're disappointing to see favorites go but ripping the bandaid off has long been overdue on this roster.

Same...if you can't be excited about Moncada and Giolito in 2017, not to mention Anderson and Rodon...just don't know what can be said.

Returning the same team with say, Carlos Gomez or Beltran...would accomplish what exactly?

Sure, some fans are going to be pissed off and pout, but this is the most exciting since post 2008 with Danks/Floyd/Alexei/Beckham/Viciedo and MVP Quentin (almost), 2003-2006, #1 farm system in 2000 and then the two waves of talent in the late 80s and late 90s that turned into playoff teams.

We're interesting and relevant again. New manager, new team leaders finally.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
I like the rebuild but can I just say there will be no jubilation come April when they can't even sell out Opening Day? When we get into the thick of its it's going to get scary ugly. Those who pay close attention in the winter make a fanbase not.

This is going to be a miserable few years. And now I don't even see a light at the end of the tunnel. Apparently we didn't learn the lesson that you need get who can hit and catch the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
If you're scared about dropping to 15,000 tickets a game from 20,000 tickets a game and your ballpark holds 38,000 - you are not thinking this through. If you're scared about your tv ratings dropping and your TV ratings are 30th/30 teams, you are not thinking correctly.

Yea it's at the point where things can't really go lower, and if they do, it doesn't really even matter to the bottom line.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
I like the rebuild but can I just say there will be no jubilation come April when they can't even sell out Opening Day? When we get into the thick of its it's going to get scary ugly. Those who pay close attention in the winter make a fanbase not.

Alot of these guys unlike the Cubs prospects at the time though are nearly ready to play. If not this year then next year. But the top 2 guys wont take much time at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
One position player in, and Eaton out. I don't see the net gain here.

So the alternative, Kenny, is to continue to try to plug guys in and hope for lightning in a bottle (and fail) and continue to win 78-82 games, miss the playoffs and not get a good draft pick out of it? Oh, and still have no one show up in the park come July/August? No thanks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
The idea was supposed to be fix the problems in the organization. They didn't and they have used up two of our three chances to do so. We didn't get quantity in either deal. This is a worst case scenario.

I must say, I give you credit for staying consistent in re: your depth argument.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
Nobody will say this, but moving Chris and Adam was also about the clubhouse culture change.

Radio personalities echoed this all day yesterday. I think Bernstein or Rozner called them the "duck dynasty" guys. A lot of hate for Eaton on the radio, a lot of people calling his hustle "fake hustle". I don't know about any of that but there were times I would see Eaton loafing it on a groundball, even if he sprinted to first base whenever he walked.

Basabe? I get your point, but I think it is too soon to tell. I am happy with the pieces we have gotten back, but there needs to be more to come to help the offense. There is a lot of time though, this rebuild is not going to be done this week.

Agreed. We are set for pitching as one can be but utterly starving for position players, especially outfielders. But we just traded our best one who could've been part of the future.

One thing I will say is that we sold as high we probably could've with Eaton... just wish it would've been for a position player headliner.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Is Yoan Moncada, the #1 overall prospect in baseball, who plays 2B, dead? Last time I checked he's now a White Sox.

I believe he's still alive. Dude, you don't need to argue with me about things. I love the direction. Moncada is a beast. I am 100% fine with both trades, even though I am not over the moon about players 3 and 4 we got for Sale. But 1 and 2 could be ridiculously good.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Agreed. We are set for pitching as one can be but utterly starving for position players, especially outfielders. But we just traded our best one who could've been part of the future.

One thing I will say is that we sold as high we probably could've with Eaton... just wish it would've been for a position player headliner.

Come on guys. Can't judge our overall team until all moves are done. I trust Rick. Quintana will be traded for bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
This is going to be a miserable few years. And now I don't even see a light at the end of the tunnel. Apparently we didn't learn the lesson that you need get who can hit and catch the ball.

OK dude. You're seriously the biggest buzzkill ever right now. And no one (or very few) are buying what you're selling. Take your s***ty rhetoric and hit the Log Out button, IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Dude I'm as excited as I've been in years. To me it feels like the early 90s again. Sox are loading up on young talent and if they can get a few studs out of like they did then it will set them up for a great run in the next decade.

I get that you're disappointing to see favorites go but ripping the bandaid off has long been overdue on this roster.

I hated watching a team of hasbeens and bums who played fundamentally poor baseball the last few years. I literally can't remember enjoying the Sox less than what I have during the past couple of years. Exception was the first month or so of last year. They were awful to watch....and nothing to really look forward to in terms of long-term progress / hope.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
So the alternative, Kenny, is to continue to try to plug guys in and hope for lightning in a bottle (and fail) and continue to win 78-82 games, miss the playoffs and not get a good draft pick out of it? Oh, and still have no one show up in the park come July/August? No thanks.

We HAD to get position players. That is what got us into this mess in the first place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)

This is fair, but loading up on arms means you have tradeable assets to get proven, MLB ready bats when the roster is ready to compete for real.

I like it.

No reason to compete right now.

1) Not close

2) AL is stacked

3) Cubs are loaded & Champs

Take some lumps until the balance shifts towards the NL in a few years and we can reasonably compete in the AL.

Imagine yourself 9 months ago during the Drake LaRoache saga. You got all these guys for just Sale & Eaton. Wow.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)

And in 5 years, when we are ready to win the series...we will have a lockout (I'm somewhat serious when i post this).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)

The last few years have been miserable, so basically nothing new. At least I'll no longer feel like I'm watching a product that is stuck in quick sand.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
We HAD to get position players. That is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Was Q in this trade? Or do they still have the best available SP on the market available to trade for a slew of positional players?

We're trading away 2 aces. They need pitching to refill.