Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Hey great. Did you notice the emphasis on position players that they brought in? Did you notice the half a billion dollars they spent in free agency?

Doesn't matter. A minor league asset is an asset. Particularly pitchers. The Cubs had a plethora of SS. A plethora of pitchers is nearly as valuable.

AND MONCADA

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
https://mobile.twitter.com/AldoSoto21/statu...8799744/photo/1

Cubs 2014 VS Sox 2016 prospect rankings.

Awesome to see and more to come. Would love to add just some high ceiling hitters for Q. I'm so excited just waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Seeing this and knowing there's more how can one person here be upset?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
We needed position players. We needed to target those types of players. Some pitching is fine. Almost all pitching is terrible. That is our problem now. How is that fixing anything? I mean apparently the plan is to keep doing the exact same thing we have been doing, but it is great because it will be new players doing it? Blah. I hate this so much.

Braves of the 90s. Braves of the present. Pitching talent and depth with defense can win games just like hitting and defense does. Besides, why does it matter what position these guys play? If we truly build up a cache of pitching like ATL has, trade it for guys you need.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
Trading Sale & Q, we had no pitching. You can't just do the exact opposite. What you need is an infusion of talent and RH just got three guys in this trade who all profile as major leaguers, two of which profile as potential front of the rotation guys and the other could be a starter or a closer. That is fantastic. Oh and again, this is just one move...nothing is done yet and they also will have money to add.

Yep, and I bet the centerpiece to the inevitable Quintana deal will be a top position player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
No, it isn't. We still haven't fixed the main problem in this franchise.

Yes, we have. We have a plan and Rick Hahn is clearly in charge. Both of the club's biggest problems solved. Also, the Duck Dynasty club is dead. Third biggest problem.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
Come on, you know what the Sox are doing now isn't what they have done previously. You're better than that.

I see your point, I really do. BUT, as been mentioned, there is still work to be done, and none of us know what was on the table. Are you suggesting the Sox take a lesser deal if it meant position prospects were offered, and not pitching? In my eyes, when you are talking about top tier prospects, you take the talent, worry about the position later.

With all of the position players out there, there are plenty of smarter deals. I have littered multiple threads with all kinds of names that made more sense for the White Sox. A deal with Washington can include a Gio or Lopez, but you have got to bring back a Robles too, even if means you take less than a Dunning at the 3rd player. At the end of the Red Sox deal, don't bring back a reliever, bring back a position player of some sort.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
They still acquired Arrieta developed Kyle Hendricks. Because they didn't focus on pitching, they had to spend a truckload of money for Jon Lester, and hope a guy like John Lackey doesn't suck. Yes, they won the World Series, but they're either going to have to give a truckload of money to Arrieta or trade some of that position player depth for... you guess it, pitching. Like what just happened today. Soler for Wade Davis. It goes both ways dude. The Sox can trade pitching for position players in the future, as well as sign big time position player free agents.

That half billion was worth it just for Heyward's motivational speech in Game 7, lol.

Bryce Harper, Kershaw and Trout are $400 million players by themselves. The game is changing. The only way we can ever make a free agency run again is clearing the decks.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
I guess this means we get to see more Avi Garcia.

who cares, it's a rebuilding year and you need 25 men on the roster. Worst case he sucks and he gets DFA in July. Best case he actually turns into a 2-3 WAR starter and he's part of the rebuild.

He never should have been trotted out their last year when they were trying to contend, now it doesn't matter and in fact because he's still got a non zero chance of not being a pumpkin they should trot him out there. If he helps them lose, who cares. If he helps them win, great. Either way it's fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
You'll be used to it soon enough.

I'm still not sure why you don't think this is a GOOD thing. They NEED to suck for a couple of seasons to get good players. That's how this game works. We're not going to outspend the contenders in payroll.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero