Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
A rotation of:

1. Rodon

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Kopech

5. Dunning/Adams/Hansen/Fulmer

The White Sox have never had a rotation with that much potential. Ever. Obviously not all these guys will reach that potential, but you can't tell me you don't find that at least a little bit intriguing. There are still plenty of pieces they can move for hitters. Give it time and judge the offseason when pitchers and catchers report next year. Hahn isn't done yet.

Disagree. This is the definition of overhyping. Our current rotation had far more "potential" in the sense that you had Q/Sale/Rodon plus the Adams / Hansen / Fulmer of the world. Odds of any of the guys we get being better then Sale / Q is pretty slim. Not knocking who we got as I'm a fan of what we are doing...but this is the epitome of overrating things. Definitely more depth to the rotation, but our rotations were never the problem (back end sure). OF course I don't get very excited over Adams / Fulmer (hoping they prove me wrong).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
I have said for months that if you went this direction you had to do it right, and build your position players. In the two biggest deals of the off season, they have probably came out even. It is a huge failure so far.

Are you letting your position that the Sox can't rebuild cloud your judgment?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
I have said for months that if you went this direction you had to do it right, and build your position players. In the two biggest deals of the off season, they have probably came out even. It is a huge failure so far.

Yes. Nothing spells failure more than when you acquire the #1 and #3 rated prospects in all of baseball.

I'm surprised by ss2k5 calling this a failure but I think we need to wait.

Our rebuild will not work regardless if the only contributors in 2018 were from trades and not our own development.

Best news of day is bucket saying there is a big change internally. They are finally serious about something. They need to be good at it. Or else we will just be where we are now, getting lucky on 4 guys and garbage all around it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)
Hahn echoes what has been said here.

They are interested in the best possible packages, doesn't matter the position.

In other words, they're holding a full-scale firesale and don't expect to compete until 2020. They'll worry about the starting lineup for 2018 next winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)

You could flip these same three guys for more than you could Eaton

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
It's always best to sell high on guys like Eaton. Most underrated thing about this is that Hahn needs praised about his contract negotiations that allowed him to nail this off-season (signing Sale, Eaton and Q to controllable contracts a couple years ago)

As long as Hahn gets a couple more high-tier position player prospects this winter, he's going about this the right way. You can't win via free agency and trades when you're not a marquee franchise with deep pockets.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Disagree. This is the definition of overhyping. Our current rotation had far more "potential" in the sense that you had Q/Sale/Rodon plus the Adams / Hansen / Fulmer of the world. Odds of any of the guys we get being better then Sale / Q is pretty slim. Not knocking who we got as I'm a fan of what we are doing...but this is the epitome of overrating things. Definitely more depth to the rotation, but our rotations were never the problem (back end sure). OF course I don't get very excited over Adams / Fulmer (hoping they prove me wrong).

This is a great point.

I was also hoping they would target more position players, not so much pitching.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
In other words, they're holding a full-scale firesale and don't expect to compete until 2020. They'll worry about the starting lineup for 2018 next winter.

I'd say 2019 and 2018 if we are WAY ahead of schedule like the Cubs were. So far the first two moves are pretty incredible.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
You could flip these same three guys for more than you could Eaton

Eh. I think one thing we have learned this winter is that on the trade market, prospects are worth less than ever before. It seems like it takes more and more of them to get deals done. These guys have to turn into actual star major leaguers before they will have real value.