Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
And my guess is Quintana - who has value between Sale and Eaton, Frazier, Jones, Jennings, Robertson and Melky are all gone soon.

Yeah, and if they get a bunch of position player prospects in the coming weeks are all these doom and gloomers going to come back and say "Oh s***, maybe I should have waited more than 24 hours and two trades before freaking out"

Everyone but Greg knew what we were getting into with a full on rebuild. All kinds of prospects will be making their way into the system over the next few years, its not going to be all pitchers.

The only issue with b****ing about the lack of bats we have acquired so far is that this organization, to this point, has shown no proclivity in terms of being able to develop any of it outside of Tim Anderson (so far). Would we rather trust this organization to work with young talent that it at least has shown to be capable of developing, or to take a shot that it can develop a bat? I wouldn't have been one to mind getting another hitter, and I expect we will, but it's not like we are getting a Turner or someone of that ilk. We already got the top prospect bat out there, but that was also our best trade piece.

The market for Eaton is different than the one for Sale anyways. There's a spot for Sale on any team. There isn't for Adam.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:17 PM)
Can you imagine it if the Sox with a minuscule payroll decided to go balls to the wall and sign Bryce Harper? Almost a zero chance of it actually happening, but the payroll commitments will be so small at the time, I really expect the Sox will be in on him to some degree.

Did I read that Machado is a FA in 2018? If so and we are dreaming I could see him at 3B for the White Sox.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
Right, I hope so. I liked 14 draft too though.

14 is producing well so far. Outside of the obvious (Rodon), you have Adams, Lechich, Peter, Clark, and Robbins all doing well. Two or three of those pieces might even end up ML contributors.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
Jacob Larsen @jakelarsen

@CSNHayes @BaseballAmerica @jimcallisMLB The return on Eaton leaves me speechless.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 1m1 minute ago

Jim Callis Retweeted Jacob Larsen

Me too.

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt 49s49 seconds ago

@jimcallisMLB @jakelarsen I wasn’t speechless. My reaction involved some very loud, profane expressions of incredulity.

I think they only got slightly more for Sale than what they got for Eaton. Pretty crazy, but that's what happens when a team gets backed into a corner with no other options. I'm sure if Hahn held out on Boston he could've gotten Groome thrown in instead of Diaz.

while i agree with the fact that we have been horrendous at developing position players, there are two things that are currently giving me some comfort. 1 - we aren't done yet, and 2 - there has been a clear shift in philosophy in our evaluation of young hitters in the last year or two, and I think it will certainly be for the better in the future

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
We had good pitching. That wasn't the problem.

Seriously? We still had 17 starts by guys like Shields, Latos and Danks (I will leave out Gonzalez as he was actually decent). If we replace those with quality pitchers in the back end, we easily could have 4-5 more wins in 2016.

We had quality pitching, but it was top heavy. Our bullpen sucked. In Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Burdi, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, Adams and Stephens we have a bunch of guys with number 1-3 starter potential, and a couple more solid BP arms. If you could field a rotation like that, you all of a sudden have the rotation quality and quantity of the Mets or the Indians, whose offense does not impress me.

We're not done yet, we still have Q, who could easily get us 2-3 high end positional prospects, Frazier and Jones who could get us a couple more. Add it to a core of Moncada, Anderson, Collins, and Basabe then we have an offense that's easily better than the Mets or Indians, FA signing not yet considered.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (TRU @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:33 AM)
You have multiple posts in here so far saying you know nothing about these prospects, your opinion is meaningless in regards to these trades based off that alone. You don't even know anything about what we got so how can you have an opinion one way or the other?..

You wont find anyone not named SS2K5 who doesn't think the Sox KILLED IT with the Eaton trade. The guys on MLB network are floored the Nats gave up so much. Just got a ESPN push notification "Jim Bowden says Adam Eaton deal "Was a very lopsided trade" in favor of Chicago; Praises Lucas Giolito"

The Sox have the #1 overall prospect (Position Player) and the #3 overall prospect (Starting Pitcher).. Unbelievable there is a single complaint out of anyone at this point in time.. TWO TRADES IN, f***

I hope for the best. I've read red flags on all the stars we've acquired. I hope for the best like I said. I just don't understand except for southsider all the backing of the front office on here and assuming we've made 2 great trades.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:49 AM)
Seriously? We still had 17 starts by guys like Shields, Latos and Danks (I will leave out Gonzalez as he was actually decent). If we replace those with quality pitchers in the back end, we easily could have 4-5 more wins in 2016.

Considering some of the horrific pitchers we threw out there last year, the Sox made Danks the scapegoat. He wasn't any worse than some of the bums who pitched for us including Shields. Danks should try a comeback next season with somebody. He's not THAT OLD. See if there's life in that arm.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
while i agree with the fact that we have been horrendous at developing position players, there are two things that are currently giving me some comfort. 1 - we aren't done yet, and 2 - there has been a clear shift in philosophy in our evaluation of young hitters in the last year or two, and I think it will certainly be for the better in the future

Agreed.

I cannot believe this return. Giolito is the #3 prospect in the entire game. Lopez #13. Dunning was the Nat's first rounder just last year. All of that for Adam freaking Eaton. Thank God for advanced stats showing that the slappy, oft-injured outfielder was a +6 fWAR last year. Also, you know Dusty Baker loves his grind factor. The Sox will wake up tomorrow with the top system in all of baseball and three huge assets left in Quintana, Frazier, and Robertson to deal off. The future is much brighter today than it was 2 days ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
I hope for the best. I've read red flags on all the stars we've acquired. I hope for the best like I said. I just don't understand except for southsider all the backing of the front office on here and assuming we've made 2 great trades.

Well our inept front office has already acquired 4 of the top 38 prospects in baseball, including #s 1 and 3. We still have the best pitcher available to move as well, its hard not to be pleased with what they have done so far.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Christopher Crawford ‏@Crawford_MILB 32s32 seconds ago

Giolito and Lopez are (obviously) the headliners, but Dunning was a personal favorite from last year's draft. 60 FB, 60 CH, improving SL.

Yeah, he and Hansen are nice pieces to have in the lower levels

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
I cannot believe this return. Giolito is the #3 prospect in the entire game. Lopez #13. Dunning was the Nat's first rounder just last year. All of that for Adam freaking Eaton. Thank God for advanced stats showing that the slappy, oft-injured outfielder was a +6 fWAR last year. Also, you know Dusty Baker loves his grind factor. The Sox will wake up tomorrow with the top system in all of baseball and three huge assets left in Quintana, Frazier, and Robertson to deal off. The future is much brighter today than it was 2 days ago.

Robertson has to prove he's 100% and get his crisp cutter and confidence back....then you deal him, rinse and repeat (theoretically) with Nate Jones.

Frazier, Abreu and Cabrera...you wait and listen, but it's hard to imagine Melky being worth a whole lot more than dumping that salary, opening up playing time (lowering the team record, likely, for a May/Engel/Tilson/Avi Garcia/Coats) and creating more and more salary flexibility.

Then again, look at the money going to Morales, Beltran, Carlos Gomez...a 2-3 month rental will probably fetch more than selling him off now, but, then again...you save an extra $6-8 million if you act now. And it's not like they can turn around and invest that money into going over the cap on international prospects at this point.

Maybe they can find a bargain or two in Korea, Japan or Cuban from the "older/veteran" guys. Then a couple of "scrap heap/rehab" guys like Holland...and hope to replicate the success with Loaiza/Humber/M.Gonzalez and flip them (ala Cubs).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
Watching MLB network, they are really hard on nats but not for reasons I like. Basically trashing Eaton and saying WAR is nothing.

If Eaton played for Yankees he'd be a god.

Are they saying WAR is nothing, or that WAR inflated from defense at a non premium position is a red flag?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
Although in the second half of this season, Giolito's FB was 92-96 and he got pounded with that pitch (at the MLB level, at least). Before that, yeah...upper 90's. Interestingly, he was quite effective with the rest of his off-speed repertoire, which is the key to any "stuff" pitcher moving from thrower to pitcher.

Lopez actually passed Giolito in the eyes of many observers and throws almost as hard.

Hopefully Cooper can figure out a way to smooth out Giolito and Spencer Adams, who almost becomes forgotten now after being one of the few gems of the system a year ago.

My post was in reference to Lopez. Greg asked why his signing bonus was something ridiculously low like $18k.