Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

Wow...Hahn is moving fast. Eaton and Sale gone...two people in Laroche gate moved (also two of our three players with most leverage). Would have figured Nats would have been in on Robertson, but this looks like a very nice deal. Figured we'd target more pitching. With Eaton moved, I have to think Q is on the move as well.

I would have liked Robles in this deal, but can't take major issue with who we are getting back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
It doesn't help solve the problem we have now, at all. Our position players have been awful. As of now, we have set ourselves up to have the exact same problem we have now, but only if all goes right. If it doesn't, we won't have offensive or pitching.

We have plenty of trade chips left to get position players.

Two of the top 10 RHP prospects in baseball isn't bad. Not sure what Dunning is going to be, back end guy or in the pen, but good pick up.

It appears the strategy is to focus on guys that are fairly developed and take a lot of the projection out of the hands of the scouting department. It probably cost a bit in terms of quantity, but a lot less risk in a deal like this than one that includes guys a long ways from their ceilings.

This is as solid of a haul as the White Sox were going to get. Yes, he was a 6 WAR player but he is tapped out on potential. Defensive metrics can very strongly year to year as well. We got two top 30 prospects.

I am so pleased with the start of this offseason.

You can make the case that with these two trades the White Sox have the best system in baseball. I would say we could only half done with the sell off.

I get that these are only prospect but I have always been of the fandom that its always easier to watch a young team fail then an old team.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Two of the top 10 RHP prospects in baseball isn't bad. Not sure what Dunning is going to be, back end guy or in the pen, but good pick up.

It appears the strategy is to focus on guys that are fairly developed and take a lot of the projection out of the hands of the scouting department. It probably cost a bit in terms of quantity, but a lot less risk in a deal like this than one that includes guys a long ways from their ceilings.

Nationals were using Dunning as a starter

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Pitchers. Great. f*** you, Hahn.

Pitching is the most volatile and in-demand need in the game, whether starters or relievers. Andcwe have the minor league development staff along with Cooper that theoretically excel in that area.

One only needs to go back through 1998-2001 BA prospect lists to see how many busted from our #1 system in baseball. Once Sale was gone, it was natural for Eaton to go, and we already knew their system intimately.

We can turn Eaton (who was Santiago...a low low draft pick) and a waiver claim in Q into one of the Top 3-5 farm systems in baseball. Logical enough. Just need to hit on at least 60% of the Top Ten names.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Pitchers. Great. f*** you, Hahn.

Pitching is the most volatile and in-demand need in the game, whether starters or relievers. Andcwe have the minor league development staff along with Cooper that theoretically excel in that area.

One only needs to go back through 1998-2001 BA prospect lists to see how many busted from our #1 system in baseball. Once Sale was gone, it was natural for Eaton to go, and we already knew their system intimately.

We can turn Eaton (who was Santiago...a low low draft pick) and a waiver claim in Q into one of the Top 3-5 farm systems in baseball. Logical enough. Just need to hit on at least 60% of the Top Ten names.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)

It's crazy how much value we got back from Hector Santiago.

Giolito and Lopez is awesome. I don't know squat about DUnning, but Gio is elite and Lopez, while probably not quite as his level, is a damn good prospect.

If Dunning is ANYTHING worth mentioning I love this trade.

I am actually LESS excited about the other trade w/ Sale because I am not over the moon about player 3 and 4 in that deal, though 1 and 2 could be special.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Robertson, Jones, and Frazier can bring something back too. Not anything top 50, but something.

Jones, I agree with. Robertson and Frazier are not bringing back top end talent. Both guys have zero surplus value. Hell Dan Jennings might be the next most valuable trade piece we have after Q and Jones.