Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
Frazier and Cabrera absolutely must be moved. The others we can be a little more hesitant on if we want.

They aren't blocking anyone of consequence and will probably have more value at the deadline, so they only need to be moved if you feel like you are getting something decent back.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
Sox are doing well. The system just moved into the top 10, let's see if we can move it into the top 3 with a Q trade.

1. Moncada 65

2. Giolito 65

3. Kopech 55/60

4. Lopez 55

5. Fulmer 50

6. Collins 50

7. Adams 50

8. Burdi 50

9. Dunning 50

10. Basabe 50

We got 10 50 grade+ prospects now. We should have around 15 when this is all said and done. We're gonna have the best system in the game.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
They aren't blocking anyone of consequence and will probably have more value at the deadline, so they only need to be moved if you feel like you are getting something decent back.

Guys who are under control for 1 year and who could qualify for compensation if you traded for them now will not be worth more at the deadline.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
And Frazier, and Jones, and Abreu...who will likely stick around and Jones might be upgraded to closer to max out his value if it's not high enough already as a set up guy. That's risky, as he might not succeed there...but we have no way of knowing what if anything has been offered yet for him.

Robertson and Cabrera get you salary relief, mostly.

Outside of Jones, I think people are way overestimating what teams will pay for a load of maxed out players. I mean the return for Frazier last year wasn't even that great if you think about it, why would it even be close to what we paid last year? Robertson had a bad year last year. Sure I can look at it and pick out why I think he rebounds, but is anyone out there going to pay up for that chance? Eh. Melky is going to get you garbage unless you pick up his salary.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
While the sox need positional players, this seems like a damn good haul for Adam. Totally selling high-which the Sox haven't done for years. The Sox still have Q, Robertson, Jose, Frazier, et al to add offense.

Jones!

I've b****ed about the Sox more than anyone the last year but there's no reason to b**** about these guys just being pitchers right now. We still have a lot of pieces to move and one is an elite one. Now that we actually have a f***in direction for once lets let Rick finish this off...and he's doing a tremendous job gathering talent so far.

Don't stop now boys.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
While the sox need positional players, this seems like a damn good haul for Adam. Totally selling high-which the Sox haven't done for years. The Sox still have Q, Robertson, Jose, Frazier, et al to add offense.

Damn right it's a good haul. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy. Two of these pitching prospects (Gio, Lopez) are big time and in looking up Dunning he's not exactly a scrub, he looks like a very nice prospect as well. This trade is amazing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
I've b****ed about the Sox more than anyone the last year but there's no reason to b**** about these guys just being pitchers right now. We still have a lot of pieces to move and one is an elite one. Now that we actually have a f***in direction for once lets let Rick finish this off...and he's doing a tremendous job gathering talent so far.

Don't stop now boys.

For now get best possible talent. Remember when people complained Cubs had too many SS

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)

Don't stop now boys.

Our direction so far is to hope that we can get to the same point that we just were. All pitching, no hitting. That is a f***ing terrible direction.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)

Don't stop now boys.

I would be perfectly content having the best rotation in the game all made of players who are 1st year arbitration or cheaper, the best 2b in the game, Tim Anderson, and a handful of actual high priced free agents to build the rest of the lineup.

People are overthinking the rebuild if you're worried about not getting position players at the moment. Up until this coming deadline the goal should be to acquire as much talent as possible. The chips will fall into place after that. If in 2 years our "problem" is that we have too much talented young pitching it can be solved pretty easily. Starting pitching is always easy to move later.

Gotta say, this trade is impressive. Feels like an overpay on the Nats with both Giolito and Lopez. Eaton I think played a little above his head this year, and while I'll miss him, I see why the Sox moved him.

I gotta say I find it funny that Drake's two biggest supporters are now both off the team. I'm sure it played less than a 1% role, but it is ironic.

Nats fan:

I am so excited about Eaton. He is a really good ball player and under control for a long time. Disappointed it was this pricey. Giolito...I just don't fully believe in him and think he has high bust potential. Dunning...wasn't sure what to make of him. Lopez had stuff and including him hurt!

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/5/16/1...sity-of-florida

Dunning, currently ranked 60th in mlb.com’s top 100 [2016 draftees], may be heading towards a second round selection. The knock on Dunning of his breaking ball is one that is not an issue that is not going to hold him back for long at the next level. Overall, when combining his fluid motion, early to mid 90’s fastball, good changeup, Dunning has the tools to be a middle to back end of the rotation starter.

Sounds like he has a solid grasp on his changeup as well, which the Sox love.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
Our direction so far is to hope that we can get to the same point that we just were. All pitching, no hitting. That is a f***ing terrible direction.

Huh? If they really want they have massive chips left in Q and Rodon to trade for position players. This is what a rebuild looks like you get the most value you can, regardless of position, and sort it out later.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)

Don't stop now boys.

EXACTLY. This is a great haul and Hahn is doing a fantastic job. If there was a winter meetings GM award, everyone in baseball would say Rick Hahn is winning it.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
People are overthinking the rebuild if you're worried about not getting position players at the moment. Up until this coming deadline the goal should be to acquire as much talent as possible. The chips will fall into place after that. If in 2 years our "problem" is that we have too much talented young pitching it can be solved pretty easily. Starting pitching is always easy to move later.

Exactly...Braves did just that not too long ago

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)

If down the line the Sox have too much pitching and not enough good position players its easy to trade from a stock of pitching depth. Almost EVERYONE could use pitching. The talent haul for Eaton here is ridiculous. Get the papers signed before the Nats come to their senses.