Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
@JeffPassan 52s52 seconds ago

In 30 hours, White Sox have added six excellent prospects and still have Quintana, Abreu, Frazier, Robertson to deal. Rick Hahn, doing work.

He will get a couple more hitting prospects. We now have more talent and a deep farm to make trades in a couple years when we just need that extra hitter.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
Oh, you know what.. you're right. You just convinced me. Actually, you should keep responding to every Sox fan who loves this deal. You'll change all of our minds eventually. :lol:

At best they got two superstars, 6+ WAR players, in Basabe and Moncada. Basabe will probably never pan out but his upside in a best case scenario is massive.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Which we have not done in any sense. We still don't have any position players.

And to think I was the one jumped for jumping to conclusions, lol.

You trade Q, Jones, Frazier, Cabrera and draft the next two years in the Top 3 ( and everyone RAVED about Hostetler, right?) and then you also don't sign a position player after 2018, then it's time to start complaining.

Not to mention we still have Abreu and can start peddling fliers like Gonzalez or Holland while we wait a year on the pitching to develop. Hell, maybe Lawrie, Davidson, Saladino or Garcia take off...or Engel, Coats or May surprise with no pressure on them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
So what would you have liked to seen done? From a big picture standpoint.

We needed position players. We needed to target those types of players. Some pitching is fine. Almost all pitching is terrible. That is our problem now. How is that fixing anything? I mean apparently the plan is to keep doing the exact same thing we have been doing, but it is great because it will be new players doing it? Blah. I hate this so much.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
I watched around 10 entire games last year because I couldn't stand to watch a franchise with no balls and no direction.

I promise to attend 15 games this year to support a franchise that's not scared to take some risks to compete for the long haul.

For sure, I'll be going to the games in Seattle this year after skipping out for the first time last year. The games are usually in July and August, would love to see Kopech and Yoan when they come!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
The net of our two biggest trade chips and we got one future star position player (at best) for one current one. We got a lot of pitching. There is no reason to celebrate this as a "plan".

Pitching depth in org was way overblown. Both Fulmer and Adams saw their stock plummet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
We needed position players. We needed to target those types of players. Some pitching is fine. Almost all pitching is terrible. That is our problem now. How is that fixing anything? I mean apparently the plan is to keep doing the exact same thing we have been doing, but it is great because it will be new players doing it? Blah. I hate this so much.

Uh, this is a 180 from that.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
How long did the Cubs rebuild take? And how long will they be a dominant force?

Hey great. Did you notice the emphasis on position players that they brought in? Did you notice the half a billion dollars they spent in free agency?

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
This times a million. southsider2k5, I have had no reason to watch the White Sox past May in the last several years. At least now there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I'll gladly sacrifice April and May baseball for a team that down the road could have sustained success (a term Hahn likes to use a lot). That's the goal. I support that goal 100%. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen but they are making the right moves as of now.

I'm with you!! Just heard MLB TV to have a press conference on the trade around the 6:00PM hour. Didn't say central or eastern time.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)

Trading Sale & Q, we had no pitching. You can't just do the exact opposite. What you need is an infusion of talent and RH just got three guys in this trade who all profile as major leaguers, two of which profile as potential front of the rotation guys and the other could be a starter or a closer. That is fantastic. Oh and again, this is just one move...nothing is done yet and they also will have money to add.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
No, it isn't. We still haven't fixed the main problem in this franchise.

You just compared this offseason to the previous half decade of half measures. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. This isn't anything like what they have been doing. This isn't bringing back Paulie for one more rodeo or trading for the corpse of Griffey or Youkilus.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Hey great. Did you notice the emphasis on position players that they brought in? Did you notice the half a billion dollars they spent in free agency?

They still acquired Arrieta developed Kyle Hendricks. Because they didn't focus on pitching, they had to spend a truckload of money for Jon Lester, and hope a guy like John Lackey doesn't suck. Yes, they won the World Series, but they're either going to have to give a truckload of money to Arrieta or trade some of that position player depth for... you guess it, pitching. Like what just happened today. Soler for Wade Davis. It goes both ways dude. The Sox can trade pitching for position players in the future, as well as sign big time position player free agents.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
We're probably picking what top 5? top 10 next year? That sounds like position player time for me.

#11, then Top 3 in 2018, Top 5-8 in 2019...ballpark guesses

If Moncada and Giolito both play like capable, we'll improve in a hurry. Let's not forget KC is in decline, Twins are foundering and Detroit is also on the back end of their run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)

What did the half billion that they do, do? What exactly did the Sox do, other then consistently suck the past few years? Yes the Cubs spent some money, but they also whiffed on quite a bit of that money. What exactly was your proposition...continue to half ass it? This deal was a trade of one player (who was very good, but probably someone who was overrated by advanced stats), for three guys who all have potential to be above average major leaguers...the exact time of quantity deal you had been looking for (albeit this focused on pitching talent...but you can't ignore value where value is...especially when a rebuild takes time). Lots of other parts to still dangle and continue to add significant talent / depth to the entire organization.