Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
He's good enough that he was drafted in the 1st round when the Nats knew he needed the surgery.

Nice. Thank u for the info. That gives me added hope.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
They aren't the right ones. Of all of the top positional players out there, we have managed to get 1 in dealing our two top pieces. One. We got a secondary piece in Basabe. Instead we took a freaking minor league reliever as the last piece in the Sale deal. Take Robles instead of Lopez or Giolito. Get another position player from Boston instead of Diaz. If it doesn't work with them, look at Atlanta or LAD to get the players you need instead.

We have spent how long with a team that can't hit or field. Why haven't we learned that lesson?

Another winner. Defense and pitching wins pennants. Speed doesn't hurt.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
You're as clueless as the people who looked at the Cubs fan five years ago and thought "WHY DIDN'T THE CUBS SIGN PUJOLS?!"

This thread will be hilarious to look back on in three or four seasons.

Cubs fans eat this prospect list stuff up. It is now the bible because of it. Apparently the BA list is even more important than actual roster make up.

Well I will say it is clear that no player, not even Sale and probably not Trout, would see a team clear out their top 6-7 guys for 1 player. Sox fans undervalued how much it meant for teams to add their top prospect, more so if prospect was a top 30 guy.

I expected more 18-19 year old wild cards but the top talent return has been as good as I imagined.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
Cubs fans eat this prospect list stuff up. It is now the bible because of it. Apparently the BA list is even more important than actual roster make up.

Well it did lead to a 4 year World Series window and 1 World Series already.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Rizzo seemed pretty hellbent on cashing in on Giolito this week.

I guess when you are rebuilding you probably just go for best package and not focus too much on position, but one thing I agree with ss2k5 on, is I would prefer them acquiring high end position players. Worry about the pitchers later when you are ready.

For Sale? That's a disaster. For Eaton along with Lopez? That's great optionality.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Great great post. Total overhype. Sale was and is a true ace. Q is close to ace. Rodon has gained valuable experience and looks pretty stellar. These Nats guys are FAR from sure bets.

How has Giolito looked since he had Tommy John? Is he still a top pitcher prospect or not??

He's healthy. I think biggest things for him are working on his mechanics to make them more reliably repeatable and perhaps work on a cutter/2-seamer to offset his straight-as-an-arrow 4 seam. I don't think his stuff is as electric to watch as a Lopez or Kopech with his 4seam averaging about about 95mph, but he's just a damn good pitcher who can consistently miss bats and/or draw weak contact (if that makes sense).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
Well it did lead to a 4 year World Series window and 1 World Series already.

And they did it by loading up on position players. Bryant, Schwarber, Soler, Russell, Baez, etc. Notice a theme there? Then they spent money to get established pitching.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
A lot more than I will enjoy the next two or three years.

So you would rather just be terrible perennially than have two or three bad years in the interest of rebuilding.

You deserve the last decade of baseball. You're not suffering. I get called a Cubs fan all the time because I was SO PUSHING for the Sox to at least attempt something close to what the Cubs did. It's not going to be the same and it's not going to be easy, but it was damn time now.

I'm done ripping the White Sox. They're doing the right thing. I suggest you go cheer for San Diego, because they're the only team still following the 2016 White Sox "winning formula"

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
So you would rather just be terrible perennially than have two or three bad years in the interest of rebuilding.

You deserve the last decade of baseball. You're not suffering. I get called a Cubs fan all the time because I was SO PUSHING for the Sox to at least attempt something close to what the Cubs did. It's not going to be the same and it's not going to be easy, but it was damn time now.

I'm done ripping the White Sox. They're doing the right thing. I suggest you go cheer for San Diego, because they're the only team still following the 2016 White Sox "winning formula"

No, I'd rather them learn their f***ing lesson versus doing the same damn crap that just failed. It isn't about the BA top 25. It is about the entire roster. They are too stupid to learn that lesson apparently.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't care about the major league team in 2017. If you do, well, that's unfortunate, but I've had enough middling garbage baseball the last decade to fill me up for awhile.

You haven't seen garbage til u see our "rebuilding" team this year. Surprised the Sox are willing to risk crowds of 10,000 all summer with a total rebuild.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
So you would rather watch last year's team fail again?

Deadpool ... our manager was Robin Ventura for gosh sakes. We'll never know what type of team we might have had with Francona, who was available at one point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)

Amen, brother. Just because I am despised on here doesn't mean my backing of southsider is a kiss of death. IMO he speaks realism. I think southsider wants these deals to succeed, he's just skeptical, VERY skeptical, maybe even mad as he should be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)

Its been two trades for f***s sake

Its one thing to be critical, its another thing entirely to be claiming colossal failure at this point.

More trades will be made, high end draft picks selected. Very baffling coming from you of all people.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
No, I'd rather them learn their f***ing lesson versus doing the same damn crap that just failed. It isn't about the BA top 25. It is about the entire roster. They are too stupid to learn that lesson apparently.

This isn't the crap that has failed for years though?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Deadpool ... our manager was Robin Ventura for gosh sakes. We'll never know what type of team we might have had with Francona, who was available at one point.

How many wins do you think a manager is worth? Hint: It's not many.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:36 AM)
He's healthy. I think biggest things for him are working on his mechanics to make them more reliably repeatable and perhaps work on a cutter/2-seamer to offset his straight-as-an-arrow 4 seam. I don't think his stuff is as electric to watch as a Lopez or Kopech with his 4seam averaging about about 95mph, but he's just a damn good pitcher who can consistently miss bats and/or draw weak contact (if that makes sense).

Sounds good on Giolito. Thanx for info. Why did Lopez only cost the Nats $17,000 to acquire? Sounds like he may not be a sure bet.