Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
We did get the #1 MLB prospect in return for Sale. Also a hard throwing righty with good promise. The next deal brought us the #1 MLB pitching prospect. Hahn isn't done. Stop the craziness.

They got the best position prospect in the country and he plays 3b and 2b. The other prospect is a potential ace top of the rotation guy.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
I kind of agree, but it's also very early in the rebuild and the Sox have two premium chips in Quintana and Jones. A lot could still be coming.

I think the whole thing with the Cubs strategy with hitters is young hitters are far more projectable . The top rated pitchers have a higher bust rate. At least that was in a Grantland article I read.

This is outstanding. Selling high on Eaton is so smart the more I think about it. White Sox could have a top 5 system or so after 2 deals. Still have other guys to trade. You can't just try to fill spots during a rebuild. You have to acquire the most talent available. #3, #37, and Nats 2016 1st rounder. Awesome deal. Awesome day.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
This is outstanding. Selling high on Eaton is so smart the more I think about it. White Sox could have a top 5 system or so after 2 deals. Still have other guys to trade. You can't just try to fill spots during a rebuild. You have to acquire the most talent available. #3, #37, and Nats 2016 1st rounder. Awesome deal. Awesome day.

Hahn is gona hoard prospects like a squirrel burying its nuts.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
His fastball was topping out in the high 80's when he signed at age 18. He can now reach triple digits and sustainable high 90's.

Although in the second half of this season, Giolito's FB was 92-96 and he got pounded with that pitch (at the MLB level, at least). Before that, yeah...upper 90's. Interestingly, he was quite effective with the rest of his off-speed repertoire, which is the key to any "stuff" pitcher moving from thrower to pitcher.

Lopez actually passed Giolito in the eyes of many observers and throws almost as hard.

Hopefully Cooper can figure out a way to smooth out Giolito and Spencer Adams, who almost becomes forgotten now after being one of the few gems of the system a year ago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
His fastball was topping out in the high 80's when he signed at age 18. He can now reach triple digits and sustainable high 90's.

Nice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:59 AM)
They don't have to worry about fielding an entire roster for over a year. Lots of time to trade and draft. So far these are two amazing deals for a rebuild.

Amazing? Nothing the Sox do can be called amazing IMO. I want proof of it. These haven't been "amazing" deals IMO.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
You keep complaining about this, but the bottom line is no championship caliber team has ever been built JUST through a rebuild or JUST by drafting well or JUST by making good trades and getting good value for your players or JUST through free agency. It takes a combination of all of it to get the job done. So they don't get the hitters now? Okay, draft hitters. Buy hitters. When you're done with the rebuild process, take some of the surplus value you've built on your farm and trade for hitters. We know that JR is much more likely to pony up for a hitter than a pitcher, and you laughed earlier when I said get Harper and Machado, but he signed Belle to the biggest contract at the time and he tried to sign ARod to the biggest contract at that time.

It just doesn't make sense that you're so dead set on getting hitters rather than seeing that the Sox are actually doing it the right way for once. They're rebuilding, they need to get the most value they can, position be damned. They got 2 guys who could be TOR starters for Eaton, and all of MLB thinks Rizzo got fleeced. I even understand your position to an extent, the Sox don't have the best track record developing position players (though Semien and Anderson recently provide good counterexamples to that), but value is more important right now. There was no way the Sox would've gotten better value for Eaton than what the Nats gave up. I think you're rushing to judgement here instead of giving the whole thing time to play out.

Can you imagine it if the Sox with a minuscule payroll decided to go balls to the wall and sign Bryce Harper? Almost a zero chance of it actually happening, but the payroll commitments will be so small at the time, I really expect the Sox will be in on him to some degree.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Nice.

Amazing? Nothing the Sox do can be called amazing IMO. I want proof of it. These haven't been "amazing" deals IMO.

If nothing else, if these pitchers turn out well, the Sox could be looking at a rotation similar to the Mets, and they were able to get to the big series behind that rotation. I might be exaggerating the potential of the future rotation, but it is never a bad idea to

1) Take the best deal on the table

and

2)Acquire pitching

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:17 PM)
Can you imagine it if the Sox with a minuscule payroll decided to go balls to the wall and sign Bryce Harper? Almost a zero chance of it actually happening, but the payroll commitments will be so small at the time, I really expect the Sox will be in on him to some degree.

Sox haven't pulled trigger but seemed to be in big ticket items like that. Recently Tanaka, but prior to that Alex Rodriguez in the texas deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Sox haven't pulled trigger but seemed to be in big ticket items like that. Recently Tanaka, but prior to that Alex Rodriguez in the texas deal.

If their offer is competitive, with a successful rebuild they could really sell Bryce on helping get this team to the World Series. Ah, I love dreaming sometimes...

It appears the Nats asked Giolito to make mechanical changes and he did not respond well. We'll see what Cooper thinks. You know the Sox don't acquire any pitcher without quite a bit of his input. He knows a lot about Giolito already. I have some problems with Cooper's influence IN GAME but as far as teaching guys how to pitch he's as good as it comes and giving him all this clay is exciting.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
If their offer is competitive, with a successful rebuild they could really sell Bryce on helping get this team to the World Series. Ah, I love dreaming sometimes...

Harper is wonderful, but Machado is poetry to me. I always wanted Beltre and never got him, to get Machado would be such a treat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)

Harper is coming off by far his worst season. We'll see what his true talent is. If it's 5 WAR and not 8 then forget it.

Just got out of work. Wow. SS2K5 sure s***ted up this thread huh? You absolutely take the best package of talent you can get when you are rebuilding. Worrying about not acquiring position prospects in the first freaking off-season of a multi-year rebuild is asinine.

Anyhow, this is an amazing return. Huge overpay for Eaton. I might be more excited for Lopez than Giolito at this point. Speaking of Giolito, if there's anyone that straighten him out, it's the White Sox. Also was a big fan of Dunning in college. High floor on him. Could be a middle of the rotation arm in not too long. I think Hahn extracted more value in this trade than in the Sale deal.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
If nothing else, if these pitchers turn out well, the Sox could be looking at a rotation similar to the Mets, and they were able to get to the big series behind that rotation. I might be exaggerating the potential of the future rotation, but it is never a bad idea to

1) Take the best deal on the table

and

2)Acquire pitching

For all the talk aobut how the white sox current team was great at pitching, it really was paper thin. Our minors could not find us a competent 4 or 5, and was not even filling warm bodies into our bullpen (they were COLD bodies).

We needed depth all over. I had completely become empty with this org. no money to substantially improve. Now I can see how we can improve, and we will once again have the money to make the jump in the next one. Honestly, for as crappy as we have been last few years, you learn how much drafts can be. Had we selected Corey Seager instead of Hawkins in 2012, we would not be selling. We'd have the following:

Melky-Anderson-Eaton outfield

Frazier-Seager-Saladino-Abreu

Chris Carter DH

Weiters? C

That may be enough to get to playoffs.

So we need to freakin hit on EVERYTHING from now on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)

You have multiple posts in here so far saying you know nothing about these prospects, your opinion is meaningless in regards to these trades based off that alone. You don't even know anything about what we got so how can you have an opinion one way or the other?..

You wont find anyone not named SS2K5 who doesn't think the Sox KILLED IT with the Eaton trade. The guys on MLB network are floored the Nats gave up so much. Just got a ESPN push notification "Jim Bowden says Adam Eaton deal "Was a very lopsided trade" in favor of Chicago; Praises Lucas Giolito"

The Sox have the #1 overall prospect (Position Player) and the #3 overall prospect (Starting Pitcher).. Unbelievable there is a single complaint out of anyone at this point in time.. TWO TRADES IN, f***

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
For all the talk aobut how the white sox current team was great at pitching, it really was paper thin. Our minors could not find us a competent 4 or 5, and was not even filling warm bodies into our bullpen (they were COLD bodies).

We needed depth all over. I had completely become empty with this org. no money to substantially improve. Now I can see how we can improve, and we will once again have the money to make the jump in the next one. Honestly, for as crappy as we have been last few years, you learn how much drafts can be. Had we selected Corey Seager instead of Hawkins in 2012, we would not be selling. We'd have the following:

Melky-Anderson-Eaton outfield

Frazier-Seager-Saladino-Abreu

Chris Carter DH

Weiters? C

That may be enough to get to playoffs.

So we need to freakin hit on EVERYTHING from now on.

I liked the 2016 draft, especially from position player standpoint. The Sox targeted baseball players who know how to get on base, and it paid off, as Collins, Call, and Fisher all look to be decent prospects or better, and Schnurbusch might be a welcome out of nowhere surprise. Hopefully this strategy continues in the draft.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (TRU @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
You have multiple posts in here so far saying you know nothing about these prospects, your opinion is meaningless in regards to these trades based off that alone. You don't even know anything about what we got so how can you have an opinion one way or the other?..

You wont find anyone not named SS2K5 who doesn't think the Sox KILLED IT with the Eaton trade. The guys on MLB network are floored the Nats gave up so much. Just got a ESPN push notification "Jim Bowden says Adam Eaton deal "Was a very lopsided trade" in favor of Chicago; Praises Lucas Giolito"

The Sox have the #1 overall prospect (Position Player) and the #3 overall prospect (Starting Pitcher).. Unbelievable there is a single complaint out of anyone at this point in time.. TWO TRADES IN, f***

And my guess is Quintana - who has value between Sale and Eaton, Frazier, Jones, Jennings, Robertson and Melky are all gone soon.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:34 PM)
I liked the 2016 draft, especially from position player standpoint. The Sox targeted baseball players who know how to get on base. Hopefully this strategy continues in the draft.

Right, I hope so. I liked 14 draft too though.

Jacob Larsen @jakelarsen

@CSNHayes @BaseballAmerica @jimcallisMLB The return on Eaton leaves me speechless.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 1m1 minute ago

Jim Callis Retweeted Jacob Larsen

Me too.

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt 49s49 seconds ago

@jimcallisMLB @jakelarsen I wasn’t speechless. My reaction involved some very loud, profane expressions of incredulity.

Edited by DirtySox