Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

I haven't been active much on the boards lately but I have to say these trades are getting me excited again. I feel like I am playing MLB The Show making these trades. Value-wise based on what the gave up you have to say the got more for Eaton, but only because it would be impossible to get enough value for Sale.

Keep it going RH! I am so glad they finally picked a lane and going with it.

Lets go you White Sox!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
The Law take was that the nats foolishly messed with Giolito's mechanics; Lopez is a high end reliever; and Dunning has light mileage on his arm, has 3 pitches, and could start in the chicago by September.

Lopez has started at every level, why convert him now?

Absolute love the trade. High ceiling pitchers that our system lacked. I think we will see the 2015 Giolito and Cooper will have him go back to his old mechanics and add a cutter to his arsenal. I love Dunning Throws three plus pitches. Needs at least 2 years of development, but has a chance to be a #3 SP. My thought on Lopez is a reliever, but a dam good one. I think Lopez tiny stature and lack of breaking ball will put him in the bullpen. With a great chance to being high leverage RP in the late innings.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
Pitchers pegged as dope bullpen pitchers not the disappointment it once was.

I get that, but a starter is still more valuable every time, and getting 2 TOR starters out of that deal would really kickstart things in the right direction.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
The Law take was that the nats foolishly messed with Giolito's mechanics; Lopez is a high end reliever; and Dunning has light mileage on his arm, has 3 pitches, and could start in the chicago by September.

If Giolito's mechanics are what people think is the issue, no better place than the Sox.

They'll give Lopez every shot to start.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 37s38 seconds ago

#Pirates believed Tues nite were on brink of dealing McCutchen to #Nationals for Giolito and Dunning

That would have been a dumber move.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)

Yeah there are a few articles out there about his mechanics last year. Link

Obviously we don't know right now, but it seems like he's coming into a good situation.

I am absolutely amazed with the Eaton return. We all knew here how valuable Eaton is a to a team (we've had the 6 WAR thing drilled into our heads now). Therefore, I was expecting a good return and this is the perfect deal to be made. I got to be honest, I'm not sure what the Nationals were doing with this trade, but this is the type of trade that had to be made if someone wanted Eaton. I really thought we'd be stuck with Eaton for the year, but this is great.

Off to an amazing start! I am really excited about the W'sox. They needed to make these moves to keep me as a 'fan' of the organization, and they did. Now keep it going and I will follow this organization for a few years for sure.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
I get that, but a starter is still more valuable every time, and getting 2 TOR starters out of that deal would really kickstart things in the right direction.

Not advocating moving him, just saying that's isn't the threat it once was.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
So Lopez and Giolito are already ready for the big leagues as well as Moncada. So are we contenders already? It's not a conventional rebuild if all 3 guys are in the majors next season.

No one we acquired is likely to be on the Opening Day roster unless they have a lights out spring. The plan is for all 7 of them to be in the minors. Gio, Lopez, Moncada could all be called up by early summer.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
Absolute love the trade. High ceiling pitchers that our system lacked. I think we will see the 2015 Giolito and Cooper will have him go back to his old mechanics and add a cutter to his arsenal. I love Dunning Throws three plus pitches. Needs at least 2 years of development, but has a chance to be a #3 SP. My thought on Lopez is a reliever, but a dam good one. I think Lopez tiny stature and lack of breaking ball will put him in the bullpen. With a great chance to being high leverage RP in the late innings.

Lopez has an outstanding curve and glimpses of a plus-change. He'll definitely be a starter, imo. He's 6' 185...not talking about a tiny guy here.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
I actually like this deal more than the Sale trade. Very happy we got Lopez. Big fan of his. Giolito was an obvious get for Eaton but didn't think we'd get BOTH of them. Dunning is just icing on the cake.

I honestly think it's easier to win an Eaton trade than Sale. So hard precedence wise. Easier to close the gap between your player and the elite return.