Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:12 PM)
What blowback do you mean? The Nationals for giving up a monster haul?

The media and Nats fans have been absolutely killing the deal from the Nats perspective. People in general don't like giving up top end prospects for guys they don't perceive as star players.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:12 PM)
What blowback do you mean? The Nationals for giving up a monster haul?

I think much of the board (including me) have been watching MLB Network and it was brutal to the Nats. Their saving grace was that Nats may sign Chapman with savings and obviously that's not true.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Eaton is a quality player on a very reasonable long term contract, it's like he was our secret or something.

Now the fact that this is what they would've given us for Sale plus another guy... well, that's why I cracked the joke

To be fair, the advanced analytics folks (Sickels, Fangraphs) seem to think the return was high, but not quite as terrible as the general industry chatter.

I think the media blowback is why we will see things take a bit longer for Q. Everyone will be reanalyzing the market, turning more stones...but at the end of the day, Q is a unique asset and one who is highly valued and someone will pay the price, which should be somewhere in between what Sale & Eaton got (and I'm okay if it is what Eaton got).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
I think the media blowback is why we will see things take a bit longer for Q. Everyone will be reanalyzing the market, turning more stones...but at the end of the day, Q is a unique asset and one who is highly valued and someone will pay the price, which should be somewhere in between what Sale & Eaton got (and I'm okay if it is what Eaton got).

Yeah, I think this is pretty reasonable. It'll test our patience, but in the long term, I'm quite happy Rick is such a stubborn bastard.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Honestly, I don't think GMs really give a damn what the media or fans say about who won the trade. They made the trade because they trust their own scouts and analytics and personnel. They should trust their guys more than they trust Twitter.

Yeah, but it was also a lot of their peers. Shelby Miller 2.0 was mentioned.

No one likes to be mocked like that by your peers.

Shocked anyone doesn't like this trade. This is a great return. You were never going to get a good return on Sale, but this is a really good return on Eaton and I think Giolito is a bit overrated. Lopez and Dunning are solid gets. To get 3 prospects that will slide into the top 10 of the system and 2 that are near MLB ready for Adam Eaton? Yes.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I love Nate and I think he's awesome......but I don't think he has the trade value that we want to think he does.

FWIW Dave Cameron thinks Jones should net a return similar to what Ken Giles got last year.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
Honestly, I don't think GMs really give a damn what the media or fans say about who won the trade. They made the trade because they trust their own scouts and analytics and personnel. They should trust their guys more than they trust Twitter.

Right, this one is on the Nationals' FO, not Hanh or KW. The general consensus is the Red Sox got fair value if not gotten the better end of the Sale deal, so this trade did not set a new precedent here.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
FWIW Dave Cameron thinks Jones should net a return similar to what Ken Giles got last year.

I agree with Cameron, I've been saying the same thing for weeks. Most likely nobody elite, but should be able to get some nice talent for sure.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:34 AM)
I agree with Cameron, I've been saying the same thing for weeks. Most likely nobody elite, but should be able to get some nice talent for sure.

Jones for two top 100 prospects would still be pretty sweet.

The Ken Giles return would be like Willie Calhoun and Gavin Lux from the Dodgers.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:34 PM)

There is zero reason to trade him. Particularly for "nobody elite." Sox have him through 2021. They'll make him the closer, build up meaningless save stat, and trade for someone(s) elite some time in the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:07 AM)
Jones for two top 100 prospects would still be pretty sweet.

The Ken Giles return would be like Willie Calhoun and Gavin Lux from the Dodgers.

I think its possible to pair him up with Frazier and get Bellinger, Barnes and Lux

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Rosenthal was just talking about how valuable Eaton's contract actually is to a team like Washington that doesn't go absolutely nuts with payroll. We've said it all along that good players on contracts like that should net a good haul of prospects, and it rung true in this instance.

Exactly. And credit Hahn for constructing the contract. Washington got an outfielder who put up 6 WAR last year for 5 years and $35 million dollars. As Heyward proved, he'd get more than $150 million contract on the open market.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)

Sure. And though meatheads will be clamoring, there is no reason to trade him any time in the next 2 years for anything less than something huge.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 02:05 AM)
I think its possible to pair him up with Frazier and get Bellinger, Barnes and Lux

If he's paired with Frazier, getting Bellinger and Lux would be awesome. I'd target someone like Will Smith, assuming players like Diaz and Calhoun would be immediately unavailable.