Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
Shocked anyone doesn't like this trade. This is a great return. You were never going to get a good return on Sale, but this is a really good return on Eaton and I think Giolito is a bit overrated. Lopez and Dunning are solid gets. To get 3 prospects that will slide into the top 10 of the system and 2 that are near MLB ready for Adam Eaton? Yes.

Why were you never going to "get a good return" on Sale? He's the best pitcher in the league. If that's the case they should have traded him before the deadline last year to a team that needed him to win it all. Danman ... what's up with that? You can't get a good return on the best pitcher in the league?

And again, Robertson isn't drawing interest? He's another guy they could have traded during the season last year. The Sox knew they had no chance of the playoffs. And they could have traded Abreu and Frazier as well. Now the interest is low?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
Hostetler says they're going to tweak the angle he's throwing from to improve fastball command and movement.

Did he say if it was to raise or lower the angle? I would not lower the arm angle of a guy that had a UCL replacement already. That's asking for injury.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
He didn't specify. Said they've all watched tape on him and threw out their ideas and tweaking his mechanics to get angle is something they could do.

He does have a little too much of drop and drive for me. Hopefully the angle they are thinking is staying taller. I know Cooper likes that in general.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
Too early to create April 6 minor league game thread? Giolito to face Norfolk with Moncada batting 2nd. I already have a friend planning on going to first W-Salem road series of the year if Kopech starts.

I'm probably gonna head out to spring training!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)
He does have a little too much of drop and drive for me. Hopefully the angle they are thinking is staying taller. I know Cooper likes that in general.

I was just going to say, the Cooper mantra is to work tall, drive downhill, and don't overstride.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h

Through the White Sox, @79JoseAbreu, has commented on the acquisition of Yoan Moncada.

Abreu: "I am very happy about the White Sox acquisition of Yoan Moncada. I’m proud because I played with him in Cienfuegos...

More Abreu: "I was his captain, and now we are going to play together again. He is a very talented player...More Abreu: "and it will be an honor to work with, guide and support him”. One more, Abreu: “(Moncada) is going to make a huge impact in the White Sox organization and both the fans and the team will be thankful”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
    Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h

Through the White Sox, @79JoseAbreu, has commented on the acquisition of Yoan Moncada.

Abreu: "I am very happy about the White Sox acquisition of Yoan Moncada. I’m proud because I played with him in Cienfuegos...

More Abreu: "I was his captain, and now we are going to play together again. He is a very talented player...More Abreu: "and it will be an honor to work with, guide and support him”. One more, Abreu: “(Moncada) is going to make a huge impact in the White Sox organization and both the fans and the team will be thankful”

This quote alone makes me think Abreu is staying.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Gotta keep someone to have a few fans show up to the park every night.

Yep, and Abreu is under team control for three more years, but he's year-to-year now that he opted out of his contract and into arbitration. That's about as low-risk as you're going to get for somebody with Abreu's offensive output. So it totally makes sense to keep Abreu around until his skills diminish or the Sox stumble upon a better long-term option for 1B.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Yep, and Abreu is under team control for three more years, but he's year-to-year now that he opted out of his contract and into arbitration. That's about as low-risk as you're going to get for somebody with Abreu's offensive output. So it totally makes sense to keep Abreu around until his skills diminish or the Sox stumble upon a better long-term option for 1B.

Unless the return for him is excellent then I would keep him and see if he can recoup some value

He could be one of the best bats available at the deadline for a contender

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
@pgammo

GM respected for scouting and highly asture in analytics today said, "I think Adam Eaton is one of the 15 best players in the game."

He might have one of the 15 best contracts in the game. No where near a top 15 player in the game. And he's already peaked.

Edited by soxforlife05

@pgammo

GM respected for scouting and highly asture in analytics today said, "I think Adam Eaton is one of the 15 best players in the game."

I don't agree, but still interesting.

Top 15 position player as long as you have him in RF*

@pgammo

I don't agree, but still interesting.

If you look at positional players I think it's fair to say he had one of the top 15 seasons last year. That said, I think he had the best season he's going to have and while I think he's pretty damn great, I don't think I'd call him a top 15 player either.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
He might do better in NL.

I wouldn't doubt it. Only 28 and in his prime. As long as he's in RF, it's not THAT much of a stretch to say since his value is mostly with his glove... but he won't be in RF.

Edited by SoxAce

He gets on base but other than that he's a pretty unremarkable offensive player. I like Eaton and I think he'll do well in Washington, but he's been overrated by WAR. He didn't even have the highest OPS amongst Sox outfielders and he's never lived up to what his run game was advertised as.

He's really more like Stephen Piscotty, Ender Inciarte, Logan Forsythe or Kole Calhoun than he is the absolute cream of the MLB crop. Those comps are pretty decent players though (no way top 15) and with Eaton's contract the Nationals will not be upset with him, but they aren't getting another 6.0 fWAR season on the backs of some pretty ridiculous throws from RF.