Should the White Sox Slow Down on the Rebuilding Trades?

Thomas_Ventura_Roberts

I love the first 2 rebuilding trades and the 7 prospects that we got back for Sale and Eaton; however, even in a re-build, how many prospects do we need to change the general course of the club. Along with some of our own under the radar prospects (including Latin American youngsters) as well as some of our better known prospects, do we already have enough of a core group of young players to go forward? In saying slow down on the re-build, I am presuming that we will still get a few more young players when we presumably will trade Robertson, Frazier, and Cabrera. In short, unless someone really is ready to give us an outstanding package of players, should we leave Abreu and Quintana alone?

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
I love the first 2 rebuilding trades and the 7 prospects that we got back for Sale and Eaton; however, even in a re-build, how many prospects do we need to change the general course of the club. Along with some of our own under the radar prospects (including Latin American youngsters) as well as some of our better known prospects, do we already have enough of a core group of young players to go forward? In saying slow down on the re-build, I am presuming that we will still get a few more young players when we presumably will trade Robertson, Frazier, and Cabrera. In short, unless someone really is ready to give us an outstanding package of players, should we leave Abreu and Quintana alone?

If you get the package of players you want for Q or Abreu, they should be traded.

I think Q, Nate Jones and David Robertson get dealt this offseason for sure. Possibly Frazier as well. All these guys should get acceptable offers.

Abreu is going to stay on the team and if he has a great first half, get dealt at the deadline or in June. I don't think the offers we want for Abreu will be there until next season.

I say don't slow down. Keep selling. Tank 2 years get a top 5 pick and keep building that farm.

Edited by South Sider

Frazier, Jones and Robertson absolutely have to be moved now. Maybe if Sox are getting low balled you wait until the deadline when teams are more compelled to acquire 1-2 WAR types but there is no point keeping any of those guys around given their age and roles on the club.

Q, if his value is through the roof because he's the only good pitcher left on the market, yea move him, but he could also be a big part of the next playoff team if things go well.

Jose should probably be kept to see if he can rebuild some value.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
So far they've only traded away the clubhouse troublemakers. There's still some chance this isn't a full rebuild but rather a start of a culture makeover.

It's full rebuild. Hahn hasn't sold it any other way in his interviews and other GMs / reporters are basically saying nothing is nailed down on the South Side.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Why slow things down? Let's get all these prospects in our system and getting to know each other and playing (and hopefully winning) together. Why delay the inevitable? We have pieces that are hot to sell now. And popular acclaim has us making great or fair deals so far. We have the type of assets to move and get us rebuilt quicker than any other team has ever dreamt of. Not to mention Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie expire after '17 - they gotta go. And Robertson only has 2 years left.

I understand the reason for the rebuild and I think you trade whomever if it is a quality return. My concern is more if these prospects will be prepped and directed in the best manner possible to reach their potential and make the majors. My concern is if the major league coaching staff is up to the task of getting the best out of these players once they make the club. It was just 2-3 years ago we looked like a very talented, young cost controlled group and saw very weak results. I think our coaching staff did a very poor job of getting the best out of the group of men they had available. Thoughts?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
No it's full rebuild time. no half ass effort go ALL the way!

Quintana is going to be extraordinarily expensive if he gets dealt. His cheap four years of control will mean at least two elite prospects go back to the sox plus more

QUOTE (HBaines03 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
I understand the reason for the rebuild and I think you trade whomever if it is a quality return. My concern is more if these prospects will be prepped and directed in the best manner possible to reach their potential and make the majors. My concern is if the major league coaching staff is up to the task of getting the best out of these players once they make the club. It was just 2-3 years ago we looked like a very talented, young cost controlled group and saw very weak results. I think our coaching staff did a very poor job of getting the best out of the group of men they had available. Thoughts?

Ventura was an awful manager. Renteria has been lauded many times for how good he is at working with young players.

Epstein selected renteria to be the manager to guide the cubs rebuild, I have faith that he will be an improvement.

Trades will only get us so far. We need to draft really well, scout well, sign the right free agents, etc. To keep this rebuild on track

I have heard Renteria supposedly works well with young players. An upgrade from RV. I just wish Renteria had been able to pick his own coaching staff.

Hahn has been focused on getting these guys on team friendly contracts for what seems to be the entirety of his tenure as GM and they're paying off. Quintana, Sale, Eaton... Hahn put those contracts together so he could either build a contender with excess funds or move them during this off season, when it's slim pickings on the free agent market.

No, do not slow down. Keep moving MLB pieces with the intention of bringing a group of these guys together on the big club in 2019 or 2020.

You don't hang on to a pitcher of Q's caliber during a rebuild. The injury risk is too high. You cash in for several players that will help during the rebuild. There's not point in having a very good pitcher on a garbage team when the franchise in a clear rebuild.

Edited by TaylorStSox

When did we look very talented?

2012? 2014 the first month with Abreu and Avi Garcia?

We all know the story with Viciedo and Beckham. I'm just not sure what other "talented" players we can point to (internally developed) unless you want to go with Semien and Thompson.

Looking back on everything, the Danks injury played a pretty large part in the downfall of a franchise that simply can't afford to carry more than one or two bad contracts. The string of bad to terrible free agent signings. Not getting anything back for guys like Crain, Floyd, DeAza, Alexei Ramirez, etc., when they had opportunities to sell them. The "best" pitcher developed after the Quintana discovery in 2012 (along with Nate Jones)...probably you're talking Hector Santiago and Erik Johnson. The cupboard has been completely barren, other than Tim Anderson/Rodon and this recent draft.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
You don't hang on to a pitcher of Q's caliber during a rebuild. The injury risk is too high. You cash in for several players that will help during the rebuild. There's not point in having a very good pitcher on a garbage team when the franchise in a clear rebuild.

That depends how long the rebuild is. If it's a two-year rebuild and Q is under contract through 2020, then you consider keeping Q.

Up until today, I thought that was the plan. But in dealing Eaton, the Sox appear to be starting from scratch. So as much as I'd hate to see Q go, you definitely deal him if you can get the right package in return.

Q has to be the right deal and bring back a premium prospect (top 25)+ another top 100 and 2 high upside young guys. At least.

Everybody else? Fair game.

Melky, Frazier, and Robertson all must go.

And with the value of relievers it seems like Jones should also be traded.

Abreu is a tough call...not sure what his market is honestly. Wouldn't be too stubborn on trading him, but also not in a huge rush and it would take a pretty nice package of prospects.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
Market conditions are in the favor of sellers when it comes to pitching. Not a lot of quality starting pitching out there in FA and not a lot that are on the block. This is the time to strike.

THIS! The FA P market, especially SP, is pitiful this season...Hahn should take as much advantage of this market as he possibly can.

That leaves Melky, Frazier, and Abreu as position players, none of which had great seasons last year. I think Melky should be dumped now for whatever you can get. Deal Frazier now because I don't feel he's going to improve much over last season's numbers. Jose I'd go either way....he really struggled first half of last season but finished strong which could lead rival GMs to believe that first half was just an aberration or you hang onto him and hope and pray that he doesn't repeat that first half this season, diminishing his value at the deadline.