Filling The Gaps

hogan873

I realize the fire sale isn't over. Quintana could very well be traded, Robertson SHOULD be traded, maybe even Abreau and/or Frazier could go. As it stands now, the Sox are probably in need of an outfielder, a catcher, and a starting pitcher. They may eventually need some infield and relief pitching help.

So, what do we see the Sox doing? Signing a few veterans to merely be stopgaps or signing some players that could build some value and be traded at the deadline? I imagine many of the free agents out there would like to play for a contender, but not all of them will be able to.

For outfielders, I could see a guy like Coco Crisp, Drew Stubbs, or Jeff Francoeur being a stopgap. There aren't a lot of options at catcher, but on a rebuilding team who cares? Hanigan, Avila, Suzuki, Saltalamacchia, Soto...these guys are possibilities. And as far as starting pitching, we've heard Holland's name. I've also seen someone suggest Fister.

What are your thoughts? Who could you see the Sox signing to be part of year one of our rebuild?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:16 AM)
I realize the fire sale isn't over. Quintana could very well be traded, Robertson SHOULD be traded, maybe even Abreau and/or Frazier could go. As it stands now, the Sox are probably in need of an outfielder, a catcher, and a starting pitcher. They may eventually need some infield and relief pitching help.

So, what do we see the Sox doing? Signing a few veterans to merely be stopgaps or signing some players that could build some value and be traded at the deadline? I imagine many of the free agents out there would like to play for a contender, but not all of them will be able to.

For outfielders, I could see a guy like Coco Crisp, Drew Stubbs, or Jeff Francoeur being a stopgap. There aren't a lot of options at catcher, but on a rebuilding team who cares? Hanigan, Avila, Suzuki, Saltalamacchia, Soto...these guys are possibilities. And as far as starting pitching, we've heard Holland's name. I've also seen someone suggest Fister.

What are your thoughts? Who could you see the Sox signing to be part of year one of our rebuild?

I posted this in the other thread, but Rasmus would be a good buy-low one year gamble.

I see the 2017 White Sox team with one of the worse offenses in MLB. Runs are going to be scarce this year. If they trade Frazier + Abreu things will only get worse. The team has already made 2 trades neither of which has improved the team offensively for the 2017 season. The 2016 team scored 3 or less runs in half their games. Does anybody think it will be better in 2017? I certainly don't see the team signing any free agents like EE from Toronto. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2017 payroll half of what it was in 2016.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
I see the 2017 White Sox team with one of the worse offenses in MLB. Runs are going to be scarce this year. If they trade Frazier + Abreu things will only get worse. The team has already made 2 trades neither of which has improved the team offensively for the 2017 season. The 2016 team scored 3 or less runs in half their games. Does anybody think it will be better in 2017? I certainly don't see the team signing any free agents like EE from Toronto. I wouldn't be surprised to see thee 2017 payroll half of what it was in 2016.

I don't think anyone really cares about the 2017 offense because this team won't contend until 2019 at the earliest. 2017 should be viewed as a tanking year for Seth Beer.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I don't think anyone really cares about the 2017 offense because this team won't contend until 2019 at the earliest. 2017 should be viewed as a tanking year for Seth Beer.

When is Beer eligible to be drafted? Sign me up for tanking

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm probably overreacting, but I feel like if Hahn deals Quintana and Abreu OR Frazier, this team may not win 55 games.

It depends on how many other teams are doing the same thing. Other than Anderson, most of the Sox better prospects will be in the minors, so it's going to be really ugly and uninteresting.

But since I already have my deposit down, there are worse ways to spend a summer afternoon than watching baseball, even if it is bad.

As far as I'm concerned, 2017 is a lost year in terms of team competitiveness. Therefore, try out some guys who might have a shot at being something later, even if a small one.

For the outfield, I think you need to get rid of Avi. But I have no problem with guys like Tilson, Coats and Liriano getting playing time (along with Melky of course if he's still here, which he shouldn't be). That's three guys who can play competent defense, and all have a non-zero chance of hitting enough to show that can at least be a future 4th OF and maybe, maybe, more. So give them a look. There's no 2017 playoff run to harm, and you might find something that ends up being helpful for 2018 and 2019.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I'm probably overreacting, but I feel like if Hahn deals Quintana and Abreu OR Frazier, this team may not win 55 games.

Yup. And that's fine for a rebuild. Acquiring a top 3ish draft pick and the pool size that comes with it will help immensely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
As far as I'm concerned, 2017 is a lost year in terms of team competitiveness. Therefore, try out some guys who might have a shot at being something later, even if a small one.

For the outfield, I think you need to get rid of Avi. But I have no problem with guys like Tilson, Coats and Liriano getting playing time (along with Melky of course if he's still here, which he shouldn't be). That's three guys who can play competent defense, and all have a non-zero chance of hitting enough to show that can at least be a future 4th OF and maybe, maybe, more. So give them a look. There's no 2017 playoff run to harm, and you might find something that ends up being helpful for 2018 and 2019.

Avi is our David Ross. I can't wait for everyone to be crying at his World Series speech.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
For the outfield, I think you need to get rid of Avi. But I have no problem with guys like Tilson, Coats and Liriano getting playing time (along with Melky of course if he's still here, which he shouldn't be). That's three guys who can play competent defense

That's what I want to see. Help out this pitching staff this season the young guys and the vets. Hell, I'll throw out Carlos Sanchez' name too. Sure he might hit .200, but he is excellent defensively at 2B. Get a catcher who is at least average back there and a solid pitch framer, outfielders who aren't Avi bad out there, etc. :)

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)

I'd rather win 55 games with hope for the future instead of winning 76 games and stuck in limbo.

I feel good about being a White Sox fan again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)

Avi Garcia sounds to me like the rest of that paragraph except for the competent defense part. Might find something that winds up being helpful with the bat.