Rick Hahn on ESPN 1000

Donaldo

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Can't really listen at the moment. Can anyone provide quick notes on anything worth noting?

Much obliged.

Last time I promised to do this the site went down :lol:

I may listen tonight and will post notes. Good thing to listen to while doing dishes

He said a bunch of poop. Also said he'd like to do 4 or 5 more deals, that he had some youth volleyball games this weekend so anything happening likely won't occur until next week, went on to say - but ya never know. Talked about the necessity to add a lot more prospect depth - citing that things won't likely pan out with all the guys they acquired. Specifically touched on Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, and Quintana.

It's worth a couple listens.

Edited by hi8is

Some tidbits for anyone interested:

- Rick said this is a long process, and that everyone in the organization are aware this is at the beginning.

- They are trying to figure out what is the next step is in the process.

- Acknowledged that the team tried to plug holes last few years, but unfortunate it didn't work.

- These trades put the Sox in a more secure spot than prior offseasons.

- These trades are not about trying to patch holes.

- They are looking for a high volume of impact guys, and said it is a necessity for long term success.

- The idea of a rebuild had been talked about with KW and JR in 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, & 2015 offseasons but decided now was the opportune time to actually go through with it.

- He's eager to get things right and ready to do more moves, however pace needs to be dictated by the market.

- Giolito struggled in debut, but said it is not shocking because he's young. Said the Sox, unlike the Nats, have luxury to be patient with his development and allow him to go to Triple-A.

- They asked is Hahn felt guilty in Eaton trade and fleecing the Sox did to the Nationals, hahaha! Hahn was professional and sidestepped question mentioning the only guilt was towards Eaton himself because of the circumstances he was being moved. Said he talked to Adam and said it was not the intention to signing him to a long-term deal only to move him.

- On if ever dealing with Cubs, Hahn said it is foolish to take option off the table, especially when the team is in another league.

- On trading Q, it depends on what the market value is for him.

- He realizes that all 7 prospects received will not all hit their ceilings, looking to build a core which is why it is important to keep adding.

- Hahn said it's nice to see the Sox logo next to the top prospect rankings.

- Again said his wish is to keep rolling and do "another one" today, but cannot force this.

- Moving guys could go into the season and next offseason. Again, depends on what the market dictates.

I would say judging by what was said, I would be absolutely shocked if the Sox don't make another move. It did not seem like Hahn views Quintana as a long-term piece towards the rebuild either. I think it's almost a guarantee he gets moved before the season starts. Pretty good listen though, don't let my notes stop anyone from taking 14 minutes to hear it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
Yeah, most interesting stuff was giolito but it also reinforced for me buckets line that deals getting done soon depends on other GMs not Hanna willingness to continue rebuild

We need Jansen and Turner to sign soon. Looks like Jansen got married this weekend and Turner was there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
Yeah, most interesting stuff was giolito but it also reinforced for me buckets line that deals getting done soon depends on other GMs not Hanna willingness to continue rebuild

Makes me think there are plenty of offers out there to other teams, and it really comes down to if they want to move forward or not.

I'm with you guys, get Jansen signed already. Sounds as though there could be enough interest in Robertson though I dont expect the moon in return.

Still think someone meets Hahn half way to get a deal done for Q. Teams know there isn't much out there.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
Some tidbits for anyone interested:

- Rick said this is a long process, and that everyone in the organization are aware this is at the beginning.

- They are trying to figure out what is the next step is in the process.

- Acknowledged that the team tried to plug holes last few years, but unfortunate it didn't work.

- These trades put the Sox in a more secure spot than prior offseasons.

- These trades are not about trying to patch holes.

- They are looking for a high volume of impact guys, and said it is a necessity for long term success.

- The idea of a rebuild had been talked about with KW and JR in 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, & 2015 offseasons but decided now was the opportune time to actually go through with it.

- He's eager to get things right and ready to do more moves, however pace needs to be dictated by the market.

- Giolito struggled in debut, but said it is not shocking because he's young. Said the Sox, unlike the Nats, have luxury to be patient with his development and allow him to go to Triple-A.

- They asked is Hahn felt guilty in Eaton trade and fleecing the Sox did to the Nationals, hahaha! Hahn was professional and sidestepped question mentioning the only guilt was towards Eaton himself because of the circumstances he was being moved. Said he talked to Adam and said it was not the intention to signing him to a long-term deal only to move him.

- On if ever dealing with Cubs, Hahn said it is foolish to take option off the table, especially when the team is in another league.

- On trading Q, it depends on what the market value is for him.

- He realizes that all 7 prospects received will not all hit their ceilings, looking to build a core which is why it is important to keep adding.

- Hahn said it's nice to see the Sox logo next to the top prospect rankings.

- Again said his wish is to keep rolling and do "another one" today, but cannot force this.

- Moving guys could go into the season and next offseason. Again, depends on what the market dictates.

I would say judging by what was said, I would be absolutely shocked if the Sox don't make another move. It did not seem like Hahn views Quintana as a long-term piece towards the rebuild either. I think it's almost a guarantee he gets moved before the season starts. Pretty good listen though, don't let my notes stop anyone from taking 14 minutes to hear it.

Thank you!

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
It's awful, but using the term increases the chances of getting laid. There's really no choice

I still don't understand it :D

Edit: Google "bae meaning"

"Bae," Urban Dictionary says, is an acronym that stands for "before anyone else," or a shortened version of baby or babe, another word for sweetie, and, mostly unrelated, poop in Danish.

Ok, so now I get it. The terms redeemed itself... and no, I didn't add the bolder part. Bae is the s***.

Edited by hi8is