Trade/FA Predictions for Rest of Off Season

GGajewski18

I couldn't find the old thread where we made the predictions for the off season. Now that things have died down a bit, and Sale and Eaton being traded.

Who else do you think will be traded? Where are those players going? What free agent signings do the Sox make to fill the MLB holes?

SP Jose Quintana and RP Dan Jennings to the Rockies for SS Brendan Rodgers, SP Riley Pint, OF Raimel Tapia, and 3B Tyler Nelvin

RP David Robertson to the Nationals for C Pedro Severino and OF Juan Soto

3B Todd Frazier to the Cardinals (miss out on Justin Turner) for 3B Jhonny Peralta (potential flip at the deadline, 1 year remaining), C Carson Kelly, and SP Dakota Hudson

OF Melky Cabrera and 2B/3B Brett Lawrie go at the deadline

FA Signings:

SP Derek Holland 1 year/3 million

SP Jhoulys Chacin 1 year/6 million

SP Tom Milone Minor League contract

RP Drew Storen 1 year/5 million

RP Brian Matusz 1 year/2 million

OF Colby Rasmus 1 year/8 million

Thoughts? And your ideas?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
I couldn't find the old thread where we made the predictions for the off season. Now that things have died down a bit, and Sale and Eaton being traded.

Who else do you think will be traded? Where are those players going? What free agent signings do the Sox make to fill the MLB holes?

SP Jose Quintana and RP Dan Jennings to the Rockies for SS Brendan Rodgers, SP Riley Pint, OF Raimel Tapia, and 3B Tyler Nelvin

3B Todd Frazier to the Cardinals (miss out on Justin Turner) for 3B Jhonny Peralta (potential flip at the deadline, 1 year remaining), C Carson Kelly, and SP Dakota Hudson

FA Signings:

If all this poop when down - I'd be a very happy man.

Q to Houston for Martes/Tucker/Reed/Stubbs

Sox sign

Rasmus

Holland

By the All Star break the Sox lineup looks like this

Cf Tilson

SS Anderson

1B Abreu

3B Frazier

LF Melky

DH Reed

2B Moncada

RF Rasmus

C Who the hell knows probably Smith

Ps (no order)

P Rodon

P Fulmer

P Giolito

P Reynaldo Lopez

P Holland

CL Robertson

Set up Burdi

Late inning Jones

Edited by Moncada

What's the asking price for Pedro Alvarez right now, or did he already sign?

Wonder if there's any interest in a Chris Carter reunion? Lefties, generally, have more value from a hitting perspective.

I don't know if they can "time" it to sell high on Robertson in June/July and then give the closer's job to Jones and have him increase his value the 2nd half of the season or into next early next year as Burdi perhaps works into that position (depending on how the starting experiment goes) by mid-season 2018.

Guess it depends on how strongly they believe in Jones' ability as a closer...if they can leverage that for even a higher return or if he's better suited to his 7th/8th inning set-up role.

Then you also have to consider the "value" of shaving $6-8 million more off the remaining money owed to Robertson by trading him now.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd go $5-7 million for a Carter or Alvarez, but would rather spend that money on someone like Rasmus that could competently play the field.

Would also like to firm up that outfield by making sure Cabrera and Avi Garcia don't undermine the confidence of the young pitching staff too much. Not sure they would consider Austin Jackson again, but someone similar.

With Tilson, we just don't know much about where his hamstring injury is right now...whether it's going to be fine or he'll lose a step or two, which would dent his value to the Sox defensively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
I'd go $5-7 million for a Carter or Alvarez, but would rather spend that money on someone like Rasmus that could competently play the field.

Would also like to firm up that outfield by making sure Cabrera and Avi Garcia don't undermine the confidence of the young pitching staff too much. Not sure they would consider Austin Jackson again, but someone similar.

With Tilson, we just don't know much about where his hamstring injury is right now...whether it's going to be fine or he'll lose a step or two, which would dent his value to the Sox defensively.

I don't see why Alvarez and Rasmus both wouldn't be options on 1 year deals. That's basically the same amount of money we just traded away.

I love the idea of signing Mr Handsome, Colby Rasmus. He seems like a good bet to bounce back and have a decent year. He'll never strike out less than ~30% but he can field and has some power. Good candidate to flip. He might not want to play for Nadir Sox though.

I think Q does end up going to Houston, although I could see the Cardinals being strong bidders. I think once Turner signs with the Dodgers, Dombrowski and Hahn hook up again to send Frazier to Boston.

Robertson goes to the Nats I think. Not sure what his market looks like.

CF Tilson

RF Coats/Avi

LF Rasmus

DH Melky

1B Abreu

3B Lawrie

SS Anderson

2B C. Sanchez

C Hanigan or trade

IF Saladino

OF May or Engel

C Narvaez

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields

Covey

Holland or trade

Jones

Jennings

Putnam

Petricka

Brian Clark

Ynoa

Minaya/Kahnle

That should be good for 60 wins or so, accounting for any deadline moves.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 07:58 PM)
I love the idea of signing Mr Handsome, Colby Rasmus. He seems like a good bet to bounce back and have a decent year. He'll never strike out less than ~30% but he can field and has some power. Good candidate to flip. He might not want to play for Nadir Sox though.

I think Q does end up going to Houston, although I could see the Cardinals being strong bidders. I think once Turner signs with the Dodgers, Dombrowski and Hahn hook up again to send Frazier to Boston.

CF Tilson

RF Coats/Avi

LF Rasmus

DH Melky

1B Abreu

3B Lawrie

SS Anderson

2B C. Sanchez

C Hanigan or trade

IF Saladino

OF May or Engel

C Narvaez

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields

Covey

Holland or trade

Jones

Jennings

Putnam

Petricka

Brian Clark

Ynoa

Minaya/Kahnle

It's pretty awesome when a 102 loss season sounds amazing. I really wouldn't mind it if we were the worst team in baseball for 2017 and 2018. Doubtful thou.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 09:58 PM)

CF Tilson

RF Coats/Avi

LF Rasmus

DH Melky

1B Abreu

3B Lawrie

SS Anderson

2B C. Sanchez

C Hanigan or trade

IF Saladino

OF May or Engel

C Narvaez

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields

Covey

Holland or trade

Jones

Jennings

Putnam

Petricka

Brian Clark

Ynoa

Minaya/Kahnle

I think you mean Holland as a reliever, if Robertson is gone?

I like anderson, but think we can get a higher ceiling ss like rosario from the mets. Here is what I would like to do assuming houston keeps hoarding and the pirates wont give up glasnow or meadows.

Anderson, Frazier to NYM for Rosario, nimmo, wright ( frees up a lot of money for them)

Abreu, Jones to COL for Rodgers, pint, fliers

Quintana, Robertson to LAD for Bellinger, DeLeon, Verdugo, Calhoun

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
I like anderson, but think we can get a higher ceiling ss like rosario from the mets. Here is what I would like to do assuming houston keeps hoarding and the pirates wont give up glasnow or meadows.

Anderson, Frazier to NYM for Rosario, nimmo, wright ( frees up a lot of money for them)

Abreu, Jones to COL for Rodgers, pint, fliers

Quintana, Robertson to LAD for Bellinger, DeLeon, Verdugo, Calhoun

Oh come on

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:54 AM)

FA Signings:

Why would we keep Melky and Lawrie if all those deals go down? There'd be no reason to play either of them as our team would win about 50 games max. I mean we'd just dump them for scraps rather than play them after all the trades you suggest go down to go with the trade we already made.

I actually think that things may slow down for the Sox. Obviously they can trade Q whenever but only when they feel the return is right. I think that guys like Frazier/Robertson/Melky will be dealt in time but quite possibly not until the trade deadline and that might be the best time to trade these guys to get the best value. It's not like teams forgot that Frazier and Robertson didn't have the best of years last year so their value might be down now and with no real expectations for the big league club this year, the Sox might as well let them try and rebuild some value.

No matter what we trade Quintana for, it will end up being considered by fans and ESPN/MLB Network as just as big of a steal as the Adam Eaton trade was.

I say this because Q and Eaton are underrated players due to playing for the lowly White Sox. People think of them as average players. So when we end up getting someone's top prospects again, people will flip their lids thinking we got all that for a "solid #3 starter".

Just you watch.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
No matter what we trade Quintana for, it will end up being considered by fans and ESPN/MLB Network as just as big of a steal as the Adam Eaton trade was.

I say this because Q and Eaton are underrated players due to playing for the lowly White Sox. People think of them as average players. So when we end up getting someone's top prospects again, people will flip their lids thinking we got all that for a "solid #3 starter".

Just you watch.

Bring it on

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
Melky & MiGo to the Mariners for Luiz Gohara & Brayan Hernandez

Gonzalez quietly threw a pretty decent 135 innings for the White Sox in 2016 with a very respectable 3.71 FIP

By no means is he a part of the future, right now he is penciled in for a rotation spot and him and Melky combined should be able to do a bit better than Gohara and Hernandez

with turner likely going back to the dodgers Frazier's market appears to be the cards, mets and rockies. I doubt the dodgers want to push much further past the 220m that Olney is reporting. Jansen is likely to get an AAV of 15-17mil Robertson + Jones and Lawrie as a throw in to play 2B could go a long way in securing the back end of their pen and not pushing them to much further into the tax, especially if the sox pick up some money on Robertson to bring back an even nicer package.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Gonzalez quietly threw a pretty decent 135 innings for the White Sox in 2016 with a very respectable 3.71 FIP

By no means is he a part of the future, right now he is penciled in for a rotation spot and him and Melky combined should be able to do a bit better than Gohara and Hernandez

I agree Gonzalez was a pleasant surprise putting up 2.7 fWAR last year he has some surplus value but melky is likely being overpaid slightly so unless the sox pay some or most of his salary (which they should do regardless since its dead money on a non contending team) i don't think we're able to land the likes of O'Neill.

Gohara and Hernandez would be solid gets, interesting lottery tickets with a lot of upside that are very young and have already made the transition to playing in the states. They both also line up with the sox time line of '19/20