Could you root for Sox losses

Princess Dye

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't root for losses in baseball because the draft is too unusual. The picks rarely pan out so I'd rather compete for a wild card.

Meh. The worse you are the more money you are allowed to spend in the draft. You want to pick as high in each round as possible if you're bad so you can get a larger bonus pool.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Meh. The worse you are the more money you are allowed to spend in the draft. You want to pick as high in each round as possible if you're bad so you can get a larger bonus pool.

But the more the first pick costs you, so it really isn't the windfall most make it if you are drafting best available.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I don't want to see this team losing for years just to get a high draft choice. How many of those high draft choices turn out to be good? (Remember Jared Mitchell?) I've been told by numerous people that JR hates losing. It'll be curious to see how he reacts if this team keeps losing for years. I still think the team is going to be sold within 3 years. By that time this team won't have any big contracts on the books. It's a lot easier to sell a team if it doesn't have any big contracts to payout.

Lol - probably the way he's learned to "react" and cope in 31 of his last 36 years as Lord of the Manor over there at 35th & Shields.

:P

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
I don't care how many wins they get as long as our supposed building-block players are performing well.

This is sig worthy. Well said, in few words. I want the future guys to do well, the guys they are just trotting out there with no future I hope they suck as much as possible. This is a true throwaway year except development wise.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

That has also been tighten up in this CBA. The first pick slot is worth about $2 million less than it was.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
This is sig worthy. Well said, in few words. I want the future guys to do well, the guys they are just trotting out there with no future I hope they suck as much as possible. This is a true throwaway year except development wise.

So we can't flip them for anything? Seems like there's a decent chance Frazier and Abreu will both be here and I would say neither really has a future here. Lawrie and Robertson may still even be here.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
So we can't flip them for anything? Seems like there's a decent chance Frazier and Abreu will both be here and I would say neither really has a future here. Lawrie and Robertson may still even be here.

I'm talking someone like Matt Davidson hitting 190 in July with 15 errors. Obviously proven MLB talent like Jose and Todd I'll be rooting for to maximize their trade value. I mean I'll root for Matt too if he's crushing it but the Sox have quite a few replacement level options to trot out this year that are no longer prospects they are just guys. Actually, is Shuck still on the roster? He'd be a perfect CF.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm talking someone like Matt Davidson hitting 190 in July with 15 errors. Obviously proven MLB talent like Jose and Todd I'll be rooting for to maximize their trade value. I mean I'll root for Matt too if he's crushing it but the Sox have quite a few replacement level options to trot out this year that are no longer prospects they are just guys. Actually, is Shuck still on the roster? He'd be a perfect CF.

I don't think he is but Shuck in center and Garcia in right would lead to a lot of extra bases for the opponent. Actually, Melky in left would make us a terrible outfield all around in that case haha

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't think he is but Shuck in center and Garcia in right would lead to a lot of extra bases for the opponent. Actually, Melky in left would make us a terrible outfield all around in that case haha

Melky / Shuck / Garcia might be the worst defensive outfield in the majors

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
If Shuck plays any games in Chicago this year when the Sox have Tilson/May/Engel I will be livid. There is negative value in playing that guy. Someone told me he was a Robin guy last year in ST. Could be a Renteria guy too, but we need young players out there even if it's just to confirm they're not of MLB quality.

Yah, I kind of hope Engel is the guy they play in CF if Tilson isn't ready yet.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
If Shuck plays any games in Chicago this year when the Sox have Tilson/May/Engel I will be livid. There is negative value in playing that guy. Someone told me he was a Robin guy last year in ST. Could be a Renteria guy too, but we need young players out there even if it's just to confirm they're not of MLB quality.

true.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)

I'm not saying "Shuck" is that guy, but there absolutely can be a value in having those more role model type veterans around to help in the development phase. I have no idea how Shuck went about his business, but you absolutely want some guys that the young players can look up to as role models as to what it takes to succeed and excel at the big league level. I think that is critical. Coaches can only do so much. Some might say its a bunch of BS, but there is a big difference in the work ethics of various players and even just the focus / preparation and even mental aspects of the game. The mental tole from the long season, including the various struggles, is far greater in baseball then any other sport and having those quality vets who have been there and battled through it is huge.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance Tilson is a part of the CF picture. I'm not sure why but whatever.

They had brought him up immediately and were making him a starter. As long as there are no residual effects from the tear, I have to imagine he is the starting CF on opening day.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Maybe because the season hasn't even started yet and we have no idea what this team will look like. Rooting for this team to win 55 games means guys like Rodon and Anderson - and later in the year Moncada, Fulmer, Giolito and Lopez - did not develop like we had hoped. Trust me, if the Sox continue to trade off pieces, they'll be lucky to win 70 games - but we also need our young players to develop. If some of these guys come up and produce well and cause hte Sox to finish with the 7th worst record instead of the 3rd - so what.

Who says you can't win 55 games and not develop young talent? If all it takes to be a good team is a couple of guys performing well the Sox franchise wouldn't have been a s*** show for a decade. I want the 3rd pick, not the 7th.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
That's not necessarily how I remember it. Jon Gray was looked at as the first pick for a long while and Bryant was considered the safest player in the draft. I think if you change the first three picking teams that year you'd see a variety of outcomes. In essence, that draft was more of a preference thing rather than a slam dunk Bryce Harper type 1-1. I know I preferred both Gray and Bryant to Appel just because of the disparity in upside.

Re-read my post as well as the post I was replying to raBBit :)

You basically said the same thing I said except a different way. I said Appel WASN'T a slam dunk to go 1:1 (whereas Strasburg and Harper we're slam dunk 1:1 types).

I feel much like the original poster. I root for the Bears to lose but I can't do that with the Sox. Not from game to game but when they lose I'm ok with it, sort of. I realize how the Cubs did it, being really, really bad for numerous years....f*** them.