Clarification on Service Time

Dunt

Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I was hoping to gain some clarity on the service times of Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer. Baseball reference has all 3 hitting free agency in 2023, is this accounting for them likely spending most of 2017 in the minors or would they gain extra control if they stayed down there until, say, September? I know Moncada's clock hasn't started yet since he was a September call up, but for these other guys, it would almost make more sense to leave them in the minors all season if it means more control, no?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
Apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I was hoping to gain some clarity on the service times of Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer. Baseball reference has all 3 hitting free agency in 2023, is this accounting for them likely spending most of 2017 in the minors or would they gain extra control if they stayed down there until, say, September? I know Moncada's clock hasn't started yet since he was a September call up, but for these other guys, it would almost make more sense to leave them in the minors all season if it means more control, no?

Yeah depending on when they call them up this year, I believe they would have them for the remainder of this year plus 6 more.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)

None of them will come up until around June. Their first year won't be until the 2017-2018 season. They will eligible for FA after 2022-2023 season. Think of it as part of this season and then 6 more years after.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
None of them will come up until around June. Their first year won't be until the 2017-2018 season. They will eligible for FA after 2022-2023 season. Think of it as part of this season and then 6 more years after.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if their service time from last year effectively started each of their clocks. Thank you.

Service time is service time. It doesn't matter if it's a September call up or not. A player hits free agency after 6 full seasons of service time. 1 full season is considered 172 days of service time. The season is roughly 183 days but a player is only allowed to accrue 172 service days per season. Moncada, Lopez and Giolito clocks have all essentially started but you don't accrue service time if you are in the minors.

Current service time-

Moncada - 31 days

Giolito - 39 days

Lopez - 44 days

Baseball reference lists all 3 as being free agency eligible after 2022 but that is going on the assumption that since they have already been in the Majors that they will be in the Majors at the start of the year. For the Sox to change that free agency date until after the 2023 season they would need to wait until it was late enough in the year that none of them have accrued a total of 172 service days before the end of this season.

Date on which they can be called up to give the Sox a "7th year" and move the free agency date until after 2023-

Moncada - May 14

Giolito - May 22

Lopez - May 27

I think all 3 will be called up shortly after those dates hit so long as they are playing well and the Sox feel they are ready. No point in letting them stay down in the minors dominating when they could get valuable Major League experience.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Service time is service time. It doesn't matter if it's a September call up or not. A player hits free agency after 6 full seasons of service time. 1 full season is considered 172 days of service time. The season is roughly 183 days but a player is only allowed to accrue 172 service days per season. Moncada, Lopez and Giolito clocks have all essentially started but you don't accrue service time if you are in the minors.

Current service time-

Moncada - 31 days

Giolito - 39 days

Lopez - 44 days

Baseball reference lists all 3 as being free agency eligible after 2022 but that is going on the assumption that since they have already been in the Majors that they will be in the Majors at the start of the year. For the Sox to change that free agency date until after the 2023 season they would need to wait until it was late enough in the year that none of them have accrued a total of 172 service days before the end of this season.

Date on which they can be called up to give the Sox a "7th year" and move the free agency date until after 2023-

Moncada - May 14

Giolito - May 22

Lopez - May 27

I think all 3 will be called up shortly after those dates hit so long as they are playing well and the Sox feel they are ready. No point in letting them stay down in the minors dominating when they could get valuable Major League experience.

This post is beautiful and one that should be pinned to the top.

Current service time-

Moncada - 31 days

Giolito - 39 days

Lopez - 44 days

Moncada - May 14

Giolito - May 22

Lopez - May 27

This is a great primer on service time.

Current service time-

Moncada - 31 days

Giolito - 39 days

Lopez - 44 days

Moncada - May 14

Giolito - May 22

Lopez - May 27

Thank you very much man, this is exactly what I was looking for!