Aroldis Chapman blasts Cubs on way out over World Series use

whitesoxjr27

Aroldis Chapman insists he is healthy and strong and will be ready to go when spring training rolls around.

No thanks to Cubs manager Joe Maddon, whom Chapman criticized Friday for the way he used the flame-throwing closer in the World Series as the Cubs ended their 108-year drought, beating the Indians in seven games.

“I believed there were a couple times where maybe I shouldn’t have been put in the game and he put me in, so personally I don’t agree with the way he used me,’’ Chapman said Friday on a conference call. “But he is the manager and he had the strategy. My job is to be ready, to be ready to pitch, whatever that is, however many games it is, I need to be ready for that. I need to go in and do my job."

http://nypost.com/2016/12/16/aroldis-chapm...rld-series-use/

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I love any piece blasting Maddon and/or the Cubs, but JFC, you won the WS, what are you complaining about Chapman?

You would think a guy like that would want the ball.

No kidding. Complaining you got the ball in the world series? Is this what you want to hear after spending 5 years 86 million on a relief pitcher?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I love any piece blasting Maddon and/or the Cubs, but JFC, you won the WS, what are you complaining about Chapman?

You would think a guy like that would want the ball.

Seems like a silly thing to complain about. Wins a world series, has just over 3 months off following and just cashed in on biggest contract for a reliever ever. Everything is coming up his way lol

I'm not a Cubs fan at all, but Chapman really has no reason (or right) to complain. He just got a World Series ring and landed a huge contract. If he had sustained an injury because of Maddon's "mishandling, that would be one thing, but he didn't. Stop complaining, say thanks to the Cubs for the opportunity, and move on.

I think it's pretty rare for a baseball player to b**** and moan after winning a world series. I mean, Aroldis, you disagree with the way you were used? Most baseball fans will laugh at you cause the way you were used helped your team win a ring. Can you guys remember any player b****ing after a WS title?

Closest thing to Chicago might be George Bell b****ing during the playoffs about the way he was being used. That was not so special.

What's more important to a guy from Cuba, winning the World Series or extending his career and making more millions and helping more of his family and friends? Granted, he's rich as hell already, but the money he's making can change a lot of lives. You really think winning a championship is that important in the grand scheme of things?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
I think it's pretty rare for a baseball player to b**** and moan after winning a world series. I mean, Aroldis, you disagree with the way you were used? Most baseball fans will laugh at you cause the way you were used helped your team win a ring. Can you guys remember any player b****ing after a WS title?

Closest thing to Chicago might be George Bell b****ing during the playoffs about the way he was being used. That was not so special.

Miguel Montero.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
What's more important to a guy from Cuba, winning the World Series or extending his career and making more millions and helping more of his family and friends? Granted, he's rich as hell already, but the money he's making can change a lot of lives. You really think winning a championship is that important in the grand scheme of things?

He's complaining AFTER he's accomplished BOTH of these.

It just sounds like he's butthurt about blowing game 7 and getting bailed out by his teammates because of Maddons use of him in prior games. Grow a pair dude. You throw 100+ and it's the World Series. Don't fault a manager for doing everything he can to ensure victory. If YOU know that YOU suck, tell the manager before you blow game 7.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
He's complaining AFTER he's accomplished BOTH of these.

It doesn't really sound like he's complaining.

Doesn't matter though. Don't expect foreign players to put the same value in a world series as us. A lot of these kids grow up in hell holes. They need to make money. It's about more than championships, most of which they probably find arbitrary.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:51 AM)
Maddon managed the World Series like a video game and was lucky the Indians were so bad. Talent wise the Indians were one of the worst World Series teams in a long time.

Maddon almost cost them the Series with the way he managed a few of the games. They got very lucky they ended up winning this year. If they had lost, the pressure would have been immense over the next few years.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)

Chapman by all accounts is a big family man.

Doesn't sound to me that he's complaining as much as pointing out the obvious. Maddon didn't put the Cubs in the best position to win, got burned, and still managed to come out on top. If Cleveland had won game seven, Maddon would have gone down as one of the biggest goats in baseball history for his stupid usage of Chapman, especially in game six. Instead of Merkle's boner, we'd be discussing Maddon's bed-s***ting.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 01:51 AM)
Maddon managed the World Series like a video game and was lucky the Indians were so bad. Talent wise the Indians were one of the worst World Series teams in a long time.

I agree that Chapman probably should've kept those comments to himself, but I agree with him.

Who puts their CLOSER in the game in the 7th inning with a 5 run lead (especially when he KNEW he'd probably need him the next night)? And you wonder why he was tired in game 7.

Hendricks was on cruise control in game 7. It made zero sense to take him out of the game when he did.

If Rajai Davis would've had one more baserunner, the Indians would be World Champions.

IMO, the Cubs won it IN SPITE of Maddon.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
I agree that Chapman probably should've kept those comments to himself, but I agree with him.

Who puts their CLOSER in the game in the 7th inning with a 5 run lead (especially when he KNEW he'd probably need him the next night)? And you wonder why he was tired in game 7.

Hendricks was on cruise control in game 7. It made zero sense to take him out of the game when he did.

If Rajai Davis would've had one more baserunner, the Indians would be World Champions.

IMO, the Cubs won it IN SPITE of Maddon.

Yeah. Poor guy had to pitch 7 innings in a WS. Gets a ring and an $86 million 5 year contract so he can go buy more guns and bullets ts and fire them at his girlfriend. I feel bad for him.