**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
I thought wolverine didn't age. Is that explained?

I think it was explained in the second solo Wolverine movie. But that doesn't count anymore since that timeline was reset with "X-Men: Days of Future's Past." Even before that movie, it was riddled with inconsistencies galore. MCU 1,000,000 x > X-Men cinematic universe.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason for Logan''s aging was

Adimantium poisoning

but I could be wrong.

As far as inconsistencies, the X-Men movies have continuity problems all over the place. I've learned to accept it and just look for a good movie, film to film.

I absolutely loved this movie. Probably will see it again. Fox has something going with these Rated R movies. Makes me happy to an extent that they aren't in the MCU because we wouldn't have had Deadpool or Logan. I also can't wait for Deadpool 2 and hopefully X-Force will be Rated R too.

If it's the end of Hugh Jackman's run, what a ride even though it's sad to see him go. I remember when the first X-Men movie came out in July of 2000, my friends and I rode our bikes to the mall to see the movie, then went to the arcade next to the theatre. Haha my have times changed.

Didn't have an end credit scene if anything one hasn't seen it that plans to.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
I saw Sing Street last night. Kind of reminded me of The Committments, only with kids. Good soundtrack, you wanted to like the kids, an enjoyable flick.

I found the lead character very irritating, but some of the support characters were great.

Still not sure whether I found the film cringey or enjoyable, to be honest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/get-out-review...-155834435.html

Get Out is getting a slew of rave reviews...satire/horror mashup

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_out

132 fresh, 0 rotten

203 fresh to 1 rotten now. Naturally that comes from none other than... Armond White.

"Get Out is an attenuated comedy sketch in which serious concerns are debased."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_out

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
I found the lead character very irritating, but some of the support characters were great.

Still not sure whether I found the film cringey or enjoyable, to be honest.

I think it's underrated as hell.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 02:26 AM)
I think it's underrated as hell.

I liked the supporting character with the glasses, the ginger, and the bully that ended up coming good, but I just couldn't take to the main protagonist. Also, the brother's character was a decade too early. Possibly I'm being overly punishing because it's a hometown film.

Incidentally, my father and all my uncles went to the real Synge Street where this is set and shot.

Beauty and the Beast is an exact replica of the 1992 animation with essentially thirty minutes of added scenes, songs and characters.

Definitely worth taking the kids too because of the cinematography, but the original cartoon is still my preference...or the 1940's version.

Emma Watson, just doesn't quite fit in that role...enjoyed seeing Kevin Kline, and the whole Luke Evans/Josh Gad subplot though. Here in China, they cut the most controversial scene between them for it apparently.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 01:06 AM)
Get Out was good and worth seeing, but I think it's a bit overrated. Not some amazing film that is a "run to the theater ASAP" type film for me.

Yeah, after reading all the reviews, expected a bit more.

Obviously, the social satire/commentary part got a lot of the credit, but it's not like that movie is decidedly much better than The Purge series, for example.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
I liked the supporting character with the glasses, the ginger, and the bully that ended up coming good, but I just couldn't take to the main protagonist. Also, the brother's character was a decade too early. Possibly I'm being overly punishing because it's a hometown film.

Incidentally, my father and all my uncles went to the real Synge Street where this is set and shot.

That's cool as hell. Maybe my Americanism is clouding the holes you see. I thought it was brilliant.

Yeah, Sing Street was really good.

Of course, the main character's a bit annoying, but the supporting characters like his brother and g/f make up for that.

For someone who grew up really enjoying New Order/Joy Division and the music that came out of the UK in the 1980's, it's always fun to watch retro-feeling movies like that.

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
Just watched Arrival. I swear I heard good things about it but man was I bored through 95% of it..

I thought it was one of the best SciFi films in years. That said, it's not an action film either. I think people assume that SciFi has to be action-packed, but some of the best ones aren't (in my view anyway).

Huge Power Rangers fan. I collect the toys even today.

Just got out of the movie and I was so pleased that it was an actually competent movie. All the Rangers were great, Bill Hader was my favorite character in it. I think that its really cool that the Rangers are so diverse. They're all different races, sexualities and one of them is on the spectrum. They can only defeat the bad guy by learning empathy and embracing their differences. Trump would love it. I felt they could've done more with Elizabeth Banks, the potential was there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Beauty and the Beast is an exact replica of the 1992 animation with essentially thirty minutes of added scenes, songs and characters.

Definitely worth taking the kids too because of the cinematography, but the original cartoon is still my preference...or the 1940's version.

Emma Watson, just doesn't quite fit in that role...enjoyed seeing Kevin Kline, and the whole Luke Evans/Josh Gad subplot though. Here in China, they cut the most controversial scene between them for it apparently.

Ever since Emma Watson outed herself as a white feminist, I can't stand her at all. I will see The Circle though only because of John Boyega, Karen Gillian and Tom Hanks

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
Ever since Emma Watson outed herself as a white feminist, I can't stand her at all.

Wtf? Ok.

Did Michael Bay body shame anyone on transformers set?

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Wtf? Ok.

Did Michael Bay body shame anyone on transformers set?

I didn't hear about anything in Detroit but...

Emma Watson said this after Beyonce dropped the video for Flawless: 'As I was watching [the videos] I felt very conflicted, I felt her message felt very conflicted in the sense that on the one hand she is putting herself in a category of a feminist, but then the camera, it felt very male, such a male voyeuristic experience of her... Beyoncé using her sexuality as empowerment isn't feminism!'

She basically said Beyonce's feminism is for male consumption and now Emma Watson is doing half naked photo shoots. She also said feminism isn't a stick that should be used to beat other women, just after using feminism to beat down a woman of color.

She's a huge hypocrite and feminism to her is only done correctly when it's done by white women. I put her alongside Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift, which is somewhere in the trash. After she said that, I haven't been able to watch her in anything as I've been having a hard time separating the art from the artist.

Edited by Joshua Strong