2017 Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I processed credit cards at a hotel, VISA/MC/DIS are processed like cash but, AMEX was processed as an accounts receivable and involved a percentage loss by the business.

I've never heard of a business having to pay anything to accept VS/MC/DS before.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)
When I processed credit cards at a hotel, VISA/MC/DIS are processed like cash but, AMEX was processed as an accounts receivable and involved a percentage loss by the business.

I've never heard of a business having to pay anything to accept VS/MC/DS before.

I talked to a few small businesses and they were getting charged a % by CC companies.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
It must be a recent thing.

I know that banks are encouraging consumers to run their debit cards as credit. Maybe they do get something from the merchant.

Amex always charges a fee, some of the credit card processing companies are now charging for any cards as well as the equipment. Its why you see alot of SMB's with square.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Amex always charges a fee, some of the credit card processing companies are now charging for any cards as well as the equipment. Its why you see alot of SMB's with square.

I knew that AMEX always did. I meant the other non-AMEX cards charging a fee must be a newer thing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
I knew that AMEX always did. I meant the other non-AMEX cards charging a fee must be a newer thing.

Yeah, I believe its based on the provider as well. The credit card processing industry has gotten very expensive for businesses.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

They had been increasing rapidly, but they had been there for years. The Dodd/Frank bill of 2010 actually took some steps to control them by limiting what banks were charging in some cases and more directly allowing retailers to pass that cost along to consumers as discounts for using something else. Slightly biased link from side trying to sue the credit card industry, but the numbers below are accurate.

Swipe fees are a percentage of the transaction that banks take from retailers each time a credit card is swiped to pay for a purchase, averaging about 2 percent. Banks also took a percentage of the transaction for debit cards until October 2011, when they were capped at about 21 cents per transaction (down from an average of about 45 cents) under the Dodd-Frank Consumer Protection and Wall Street Reform Act. Before adoption of Dodd-Frank, combined credit card and debit card swipe fees had tripled over the previous decade to reach an estimated $50 billion a year.

The exact amount of a credit card swipe fee can range from about 1.5 percent for an ordinary card to 3 percent or more for premium rewards cards, and also varies according to a merchants’ card volume and other factors. The schedule of fees is set centrally by Visa and MasterCard, with all banks that issue the cards agreeing to charge the same fees.

Many retailers have cited swipe fees as their second or third highest cost behind wages and employee health benefits. With retail industry profits averaging only about 2 percent, there is no room for retailers to absorb the expense, so swipe fees are passed on to customers in the form of higher prices.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
So, if you've never seen a dam collapse, California is on the verge of having one tonight after failure of the ground beneath the dam's main spillway.

It's holding for now, but there's a bunch more rain on the way starting Wednesday night. They're rushing to shore up the spillways as much as they can ahead of that.

The main dam itself, which is the tallest in the US, is not in danger of failing. It's the spillways on the sides that have already failed in a few ways, and the major risk right now is if the emergency spillway fails. That would release a large wall of water approximately 30' high.

A diagram of the dam

spillway0212.jpg

This is the main spillway. Water should not be flowing to the right around that big rock.

170212-oroville-damage_dam_619212cebc253

This giant hole is why water is flowing around that rock

oroville-dam-spillway-jpg-1486575369.jpg

This is water spilling over the auxiliary/emergency spillway, which hadn't been used once since the dam was constructed in 1968. It's basically just a long weir that runs off uncontrolled over a dirt slope and down to the river.

dam-wide-view_wide-9bc59b7c93e747849c6bf

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Does anyone know of any decent restaurants open late in West Loop area? Doesn't have to be West Loop but preferably within a 15 minute uber. I have class til 9 and the lady and I are going to get a late night dinner but I can't find anywhere decent for the life of me. All of my searches are yielding Jim's Orginal and Four Aces. Not good.

Westend used to have good bar food.

Go anywhere on Randolph in the West Loop and you will find about 10 different great places to eat. Little Goat, Perez, AuCheval, Porkchop....

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Does anyone know of any decent restaurants open late in West Loop area? Doesn't have to be West Loop but preferably within a 15 minute uber. I have class til 9 and the lady and I are going to get a late night dinner but I can't find anywhere decent for the life of me. All of my searches are yielding Jim's Orginal and Four Aces. Not good.

The West Loop is loaded.

Take her to Little Goat Diner. That place is the best.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
The West Loop is loaded.

Take her to Little Goat Diner. That place is the best.

Thats got to be my least favorite restaurant in the area.....

Open late is pretty easy as Au Cheval and many of the bar/restaurants are open. My recent favorite is green street smoked meats. My buddy's place Crossroads has good bar food.

http://greenstreetmeats.com/food/

BBQ and especially brisket.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Thats got to be my least favorite restaurant in the area.....

Open late is pretty easy as Au Cheval and many of the bar/restaurants are open. My recent favorite is green street smoked meats. My buddy's place Crossroads has good bar food.

http://greenstreetmeats.com/food/

BBQ and especially brisket.

I've been wanting to go to green street for awhile, friends have raved about them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I've been wanting to go to green street for awhile, friends have raved about them.

I've been there a few times, IMO its nothing short of incredible, at least what I've had. I am a brisket and burnt end fanatic, and it hits both of those hard. They also have HUGE sides and a great bar.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
I've been there a few times, IMO its nothing short of incredible, at least what I've had. I am a brisket and burnt end fanatic, and it hits both of those hard. They also have HUGE sides and a great bar.

I'm gonna have to try this place out.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
Like any place in the West Loop, avoid it on the weekend, gets really crazy.

Yep. I'm a fan of late lunch or a super early dinner and then once you are done you can park at the bar. Im heading down tomorrow for just that, and I plan on getting myself a nice frito pie and some burnt ends.

https://www.facebook.com/greenstreetsmokedmeats/

You can see the bar and some of the picnic style tables here. It also has a sort of hidden entrance.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
I definitely have to try this greenstreet very soon.

Speaking of burnt ends, has anyone tried them at Real Urban BBQ? Really some of my favorite burnt ends to date.

Absolutely, I like theirs, I also like the ones at Q as well. I dont know about anyone else but I get super pissed when BBQ places dont offer them, or when their brisket sucks. Piggyback in Forest Park has good ribs, but their brisket is literally rubber. That turns me off bigly.