2017 Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
I know that at least Otto Hahn wasn't a member of the Nazi party and tried to shield people from Nazi persecution. But ultimately they still stuck around Germany doing physics for the Nazis, even if their hearts weren't fully committed to the Nazi ideology.

FWIW the "engine" they're referencing is the attempt to build a nuclear power plant. Germany didn't devote too much effort to researching how to build a bomb because their scientists made a critical early error when they calculated the cross-section of uranium. It lead them to believe that you'd need so much uranium to have a nuclear explosion that it would be so large that they 1) couldn't possibly supply enough uranium and 2) wouldn't be able to realistically transport the thing anywhere.

e: and there was almost definitely some post hoc rationalization for 1) their work under the Nazi regime 2) Germany's failure and 3) their personal failures at the physics of the matter.

That was an incredible read. I think a lot of us are going to know how they felt loving your country but knowing the people in charge arent the good people we want running it.

I deleted the Facebook app from my phone and the favorite from my browser.

I reinstalled the app less than 5 hours later and the favorite is back in my bookmarks bar.

I suck.

Edited by Steve9347

I deleted the Facebook app on my phone the first week of November, mostly because of that other baseball team in town. I did enjoy being away from it, but I quickly went back. It did make me realize how often me and my wife say to each other ,"Did you see what so-and-so posted on Facebook?"

Facebook in and of itself is not a bad thing...just change the way you use it...

I rarely use my regular Facebook page...but i am part of a closed group where I spend 95% or more of my time on Facebook and it is actually very rewarding...of course, there are no politics allowed there :)

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Has anyone ever had to deal with squirrels in their attic? If so, which company did you hire?

This sounds awful but I helped my friend and we did it great outdoors style. Tennis rackets, a pellet gun and helmets

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
I have the PowerBeats2 and they're pretty outstanding. My one con is they have only 6 hours of battery life. Looks like the 3's have twice as much.

Just don't buy direct from them. Plenty of cheaper options out there: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrom...+3&tbm=shop

Excellent.

My cheapies are dying so its time to upgrade.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Has anyone ever had to deal with squirrels in their attic? If so, which company did you hire?

Did it myself, but if you need someone to do it for you I know a guy out of Elgin(I work with his wife)

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Excellent.

My cheapies are dying so its time to upgrade.

I just picked up the powerbeats 3 last weekend. They are nice. So far the battery life has been solid, easy pairing and connecting to bluetooth, etc.

Only downside is coming from a pair of studio beats the sound is not as good. But for working out, definitely solid.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 11:08 PM)
I can't get over the fact that my student loan processor doesn't allow me to use a credit card payment. All those wasted SW miles.

I always said the same thing about my mortgages. So many potential airline miles.

Now I understand why you can't pay off loans with a credit card given this country's debt, but if I'm responsible, why not?