2017 Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Does anyone collect/recycle aluminum cans anymore? We did for a long time. We'd fill up trash bags full of them and store them in our garage. Then 2 or 3 times a year we'd take them to the recycling center that was only about 4 blocks from our house. We never got a lot of money from it (usually $20 or less) and we'd split it up between our 3 kids.

This past weekend we found out the recycling center that we usually went to had been closed. Now the closest one is across town. We went there and spend a good 30 minutes just sitting in line because of the way it's set up. There is only a single exit for vehicles so nobody can leave until the first person in line is completely done.

We've decided it's just not worth the time and effort for the little bit of money we get out of it. We'll still separate the cans out but when we fill up a bag, I'm just going to put it out with the trash. Hopefully one of the trash pickers will take them.

They're 10 cents each in Michigan.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
I hate USPS. UPS transferred a package to the post office yesterday at 5 AM and it's still sitting there. Deliver that s***!!

USPS reading Sqwerts post on top of said package.

worker-team-looking-laptop-put-cardboard

This s*** is just emotionally exhausting. I mean I'm 29 - he was 63. I realize that's not out of the ordinary or anything. He wasn't old but people die at that age as well. This is the first time I've been hit with an unexpected death close to me though, and it makes you wonder how people deal with it, especially people with even less resources, even less prepared for it. I've realized how lucky I am to have the support system I do around me, especially at work, but, you know, it still sucks. I lost my best friend and my father.

I'd give this a 0/10. Would not recommend.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
This s*** is just emotionally exhausting. I mean I'm 29 - he was 63. I realize that's not out of the ordinary or anything. He wasn't old but people die at that age as well. This is the first time I've been hit with an unexpected death close to me though, and it makes you wonder how people deal with it, especially people with even less resources, even less prepared for it. I've realized how lucky I am to have the support system I do around me, especially at work, but, you know, it still sucks. I lost my best friend and my father.

I'm here if you need to talk, etc. Prayers with you and your family.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)

I lost my mom 11 years ago last week. I was 23, she was 54 so pretty similar. You never really get over it. I remember feeling like I was thrown into the middle of the ocean and no idea what to do. Like most crappy things in life, it just becomes a new normal. Then there's the holidays or major life events where they aren't around and it sucks all over again. But you get used to that too.

Anyway, I'm sorry. It's about as crappy as life can get.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
This week I'm recovering from having about 4.5 inches wide and an inch high removed from my front right side, because I have melanoma (skin cancer). More fun!

Stage 1- means it's beyond the first layer of the skin but not into the organs. Ok, that IS actually fun news. They're also removing my left earlobe. WHEEE. I'm going to utilize my wife's fancy health insurance and see a plastic surgeon. I already started behind the 8 ball handsomeness-wise, so removing an earlobe ain't gonna help.

Anyway, fingers crossed they got the margins necessary with Monday's surgery.

The moral of the story? This was caught during a routine skin exam with a dermatologist. I have fair skin and red hair so RED ALERT, but if you have the means, go ahead and schedule one as it could save your life.

Update, the ear s*** is done. They wound up looping off a bigger chunk of my right ear than the left ear part I knew about. Wicked. Both ears reconstructed. Right ear still healing from a skin graft.

Cancer free.

This year I continued not drinking booze, got cancer cut out of me, and got promoted to Vice President. Now time to figure out how to get Trump impeached and life will be perfect!

Edited by Steve9347