2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

Really enjoying Horizon. I haven't found something that it's bad at yet. It's not especially original in the style of game or its gameplay, but it's just a little better than other games in nearly every category. Aloy's movement is a little better than Tomb Raider/Uncharted, the graphics are as good as anything, the story is better than most open-world games, the combat is a little tighter and more responsive than most games while still having depth, the missions don't drag on. Very impressed with this game so far.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, does Zelda come out tomorrow? I pre-ordered it on Amazon but it's telling me I won't get it until next Tuesday. Anyone else pre-order it?

I'm pretty excited. The reviews are all super positive. 10/10 on IGN. Sounds like everything I hated about past games (closed off world, repetitive structure) has been fixed. I hope the Wii U version is as good as the switch version.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
So, does Zelda come out tomorrow? I pre-ordered it on Amazon but it's telling me I won't get it until next Tuesday. Anyone else pre-order it?

I'm pretty excited. The reviews are all super positive. 10/10 on IGN. Sounds like everything I hated about past games (closed off world, repetitive structure) has been fixed. I hope the Wii U version is as good as the switch version.

Yes, it comes out tomorrow and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Right now it's a 98 on metacritic, which makes it one of the highest scoring games of all time. Can't wait to play this tomorrow on the Switch. As for the Wii U version, sounds like the graphics are pretty comparable, but that it doesn't run as smoothly. Shouldn't ruin the experience though.

I'm looking for game suggestions for PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn looks awesome, but it seems like the type of game that would require too many hours for me to ever complete, plus my gaming time is limited as I have a toddler. I just beat Uncharted 4 last night, and preferably looking for games similar to that.

What does Soxtalk recommend??

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm looking for game suggestions for PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn looks awesome, but it seems like the type of game that would require too many hours for me to ever complete, plus my gaming time is limited as I have a toddler.

I just beat Uncharted 4 last night, and preferably looking for games similar to that. What does Soxtalk recommend??

Resident Evil 7 is very good and won't be a time sink. The Last of Us Remastered is always a good pickup as well.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
I'm looking for game suggestions for PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn looks awesome, but it seems like the type of game that would require too many hours for me to ever complete, plus my gaming time is limited as I have a toddler.

I just beat Uncharted 4 last night, and preferably looking for games similar to that. What does Soxtalk recommend??

If you didn't play Last of Us for ps3, get it for ps4.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Resident Evil 7 is very good and won't be a time sink. The Last of Us Remastered is always a good pickup as well.

This^

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)

And this^. I've played through Last of Us at least 4 times already and play the multiplayer a lot (haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to new games as well). RE7 was a game that I beat in just under 10 hours.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)

I did play Last of Us on PS3 (and loved it), and looking forward to Last of Us 2. I haven't played Resident Evil since back on the original Playstation days. Would I be missing anything if I jump into the newer game?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
Would I be missing anything if I jump into the newer game?

No. I'm ~90% done with it and I haven't seen a single thing related to the other games* yet. It's still survival horror, but gets away from zombies, Umbrella Corporation, etc.

*RE1-4. I didn't play 5-6.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
No. I'm ~90% done with it and I haven't seen a single thing related to the other games* yet. It's still survival horror, but gets away from zombies, Umbrella Corporation, etc.

There's a few Easter Eggs in the game for sure but that's really it when it comes to the connections to the old games. Re5 was actually a really fun game. More in line with RE4 though than RE 0-3 and CVX.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Wow, you're going to be mightily impressed. I'm still playing my franchise from last year's game. I play a few games a week.

I wish the defense in The Show would play as smoothly as it did in MVP 05. Having said that, The Show is amazing and I'm with you, I need to squeeze in a few games a week in RTTS.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I wish the defense in The Show would play as smoothly as it did in MVP 05. Having said that, The Show is amazing and I'm with you, I need to squeeze in a few games a week in RTTS.

Defense and ball physics are a big thing they worked on for the new game. My biggest issue was turning double plays. If the throw to 2B was short, I wouldn't have enough time to preload a throw, so my 2B would hold the ball for half a second before throwing to 1st instead of doing it in one fluid motion because it was waiting for me to get the throw meter in the green.

Also, urgency of defenders was always an issue that has apparently been fixed as well.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Defense and ball physics are a big thing they worked on for the new game. My biggest issue was turning double plays. If the throw to 2B was short, I wouldn't have enough time to preload a throw, so my 2B would hold the ball for half a second before throwing to 1st instead of doing it in one fluid motion because it was waiting for me to get the throw meter in the green.

Also, urgency of defenders was always an issue that has apparently been fixed as well.

Thank god. Just over 3 weeks until we have it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)

4 was in my greatest games ever list. And then 5 was so s***ty I couldn't muster up the energy to play 6. I hear 7 is pretty solid.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
4 was in my greatest games ever list. And then 5 was so s***ty I couldn't muster up the energy to play 6. I hear 7 is pretty solid.

I loved 4.

7 is MUCH less action-oriented than 4. It's more of the scary, atmospheric exploration of RE 1-2.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
just sitting here waiting while my Switch Zelda bundle sits in Gamestop online purchase purgatory :/

The Switch is awesome for what it's trying to be. If you're a gamer that needs PS4 Pro level graphics, you'll definitely be disappointed, but if you're looking for home console quality experiences on the go then you'll probably be thrilled. I highly recommend getting a Pro controller for at home play.

As for Zelda, it really might be the best game in the series. I am absolutely shocked at just how good it really is. It's feels a lot more like the NES original than the LttP/Ocarina games though. And honestly, that's a good thing IMO. The series has always been great, but it was in desperation need of a re-image and damn did they deliver. Baring some major surprise (or Mario Oddessy just killing it), this should easily be 2017's GOTY.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
The Switch is awesome for what it's trying to be. If you're a gamer that needs PS4 Pro level graphics, you'll definitely be disappointed, but if you're looking for home console quality experiences on the go then you'll probably be thrilled. I highly recommend getting a Pro controller for at home play.

As for Zelda, it really might be the best game in the series. I am absolutely shocked at just how good it really is. It's feels a lot more like the NES original than the LttP/Ocarina games though. And honestly, that's a good thing IMO. The series has always been great, but it was in desperation need of a re-image and damn did they deliver. Baring some major surprise (or Mario Oddessy just killing it), this should easily be 2017's GOTY.

My bundle included a switch, pro controller, Zelda, and Zelda guide. My problem is my bank stopped and questioned the first attempt (at 4am) and they were unable to process it. I got in touch with their customer service, they ran my card, and now I haven't gotten a confirmation email or update in 3 days