2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

I'm only 3-4 hours in, basically got off the grand plateau and then stopped, but so far so good. One major complaint - the Wii U controller. Something about the a/b/x/y set up that is incredibly frustrating. I constantly jump instead of hit with my weapon. Hopefully at some point I get that down.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm only 3-4 hours in, basically got off the grand plateau and then stopped, but so far so good. One major complaint - the Wii U controller. Something about the a/b/x/y set up that is incredibly frustrating. I constantly jump instead of hit with my weapon. Hopefully at some point I get that down.

The gamepad? or the pro controller?

I really like the pro controller, when I play Xenoblade Chronicles that is what i use because the wiiU pad is annoying much in the same way as you just described

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
The gamepad? or the pro controller?

I really like the pro controller, when I play Xenoblade Chronicles that is what i use because the wiiU pad is annoying much in the same way as you just described

Yeah the gamepad. I read a tip on Kotaku that you can switch the b and x buttons and it's better. I might try that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Zelda is stunning.

And I f***ing love the pro controller

Nintendo guy gonna Nintendo guy. Enjoy the 7 games they make that actually don't suck before the system dies and they launch some weird new concept in 5 years and put out 7 games that don't suck etc. etc. I thought I'd learned my lesson with the Wii and then I got a 3DS. Same story. Here's your Mario game, here's your Zelda game, here's your Mario Kart game, now enjoy a bunch of s***ty third party games.

/s***tingonnintendoguy

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
Nintendo guy gonna Nintendo guy. Enjoy the 7 games they make that actually don't suck before the system dies and they launch some weird new concept in 5 years and put out 7 games that don't suck etc. etc. I thought I'd learned my lesson with the Wii and then I got a 3DS. Same story. Here's your Mario game, here's your Zelda game, here's your Mario Kart game, now enjoy a bunch of s***ty third party games.

/s***tingonnintendoguy

I'm usually a Nintendo hater but... I dropped $250 for a used Wii U a couple years back with the system, the classic controller, Mario Kart, the two Mario platformers, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Throw in another $50 for the last Zelda and I think that's $300 well spent.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
I'm usually a Nintendo hater but... I dropped $250 for a used Wii U a couple years back with the system, the classic controller, Mario Kart, the two Mario platformers, Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Throw in another $50 for the last Zelda and I think that's $300 well spent.

6 games. I over estimated.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
6 games. I over estimated.

Eh, about on par with my PS4 purchases. The only reason I have more PS4 games is I usually get every other version of The Show and Madden. Do Sony and Microsoft really have 6-7 must-have exclusive games? No.

edit: i'm not trying to argue Nintendo is better. I much prefer my PS4. But Nintendo is what it is at this point and I know that going in. If you got duped by the Wii or Wii U that's on you. They've been in the "we only care about our properties and don't care to compete for big name titles" corner since the Gamecube.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)

/s***tingonnintendoguy

I think this is the concept they have been building towards for quite a while, I don't think there will be a radical change any time soon. 3ds is gonna phase out because of this thing

The consoles aren't all the same, I understand Nintendo has a ton of 3rd party issues. But I go into this thread and you guys pump up No Mans Sky like it is gonna change gaming forever and one day after it is released 99 percent of the people hyping it are like "this is f***ing boring what's next". Very few times have I been that excited for a game only to s*** on it one day after I bought it

And your point about 3ds not having good 3rd party games is flat out wrong

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Personally, I'll never buy a Nintendo console again. I was a little disappointed by GameCube, but felt completely ripped off by the Wii. What a piece of trash.

Played a lot of Super Smash Bros: Melee on that thing with my friends. Well worth it.

Also, Resident Evil REmake was on that system. Amazing game. Now that I think about it, kind of weird that it was on Nintendo lol Also, 007: Nightfire multiplayer was so fun. So many good memories of that system with my friends.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Eh, about on par with my PS4 purchases. The only reason I have more PS4 games is I usually get every other version of The Show and Madden. Do Sony and Microsoft really have 6-7 must-have exclusive games? No.

edit: i'm not trying to argue Nintendo is better. I much prefer my PS4. But Nintendo is what it is at this point and I know that going in. If you got duped by the Wii or Wii U that's on you. They've been in the "we only care about our properties and don't care to compete for big name titles" corner since the Gamecube.

Last of Us and Uncharted 1-4 are must own if you have a PS4 (first 3 come in a set). And as you mentioned, The Show will always be awesome.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
I think this is the concept they have been building towards for quite a while, I don't think there will be a radical change any time soon. 3ds is gonna phase out because of this thing

The consoles aren't all the same, I understand Nintendo has a ton of 3rd party issues. But I go into this thread and you guys pump up No Mans Sky like it is gonna change gaming forever and one day after it is released 99 percent of the people hyping it are like "this is f***ing boring what's next". Very few times have I been that excited for a game only to s*** on it one day after I bought it

And your point about 3ds not having good 3rd party games is flat out wrong

I was being a hater. My experience with Nintendo the past ten years is fairly consistent. Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Land games are f***ing great. I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed a game more front to back more than I did Super Mario Galaxy. That game honestly made the Wii purchase worth it for me. But there's no longevity.

I've had my PS4 since 2014, and it's still delivering fantastic titles. I get to try something new and exciting on a monthly basis while playing top-notch sports games. The Nintendo gaming systems offer none of that. SO without those yearly sports simulation staples and fantastic third party games, they're stuck with JUST exclusives which Sony is also kicking everyone's asses in including Nintendo.

Bang for buck, the Wii was "worth it" while the PS4 has paid for itself 55 times over and is still delivering outstanding experiences non-stop.

As for No Man's Sky, I still have never experienced anything like it. The 30+ hours I spent with the game were completely new, original, and exciting for me. Once I cracked the code, I didn't see a reason to go back, but I got as much entertainment out of that as I did Super Mario 3D Land.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
I was being a hater. My experience with Nintendo the past ten years is fairly consistent. Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Land games are f***ing great. I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed a game more front to back more than I did Super Mario Galaxy. That game honestly made the Wii purchase worth it for me. But there's no longevity.

I've had my PS4 since 2014, and it's still delivering fantastic titles. I get to try something new and exciting on a monthly basis while playing top-notch sports games. The Nintendo gaming systems offer none of that. SO without those yearly sports simulation staples and fantastic third party games, they're stuck with JUST exclusives which Sony is also kicking everyone's asses in including Nintendo.

Bang for buck, the Wii was "worth it" while the PS4 has paid for itself 55 times over and is still delivering outstanding experiences non-stop.

As for No Man's Sky, I still have never experienced anything like it. The 30+ hours I spent with the game were completely new, original, and exciting for me. Once I cracked the code, I didn't see a reason to go back, but I got as much entertainment out of that as I did Super Mario 3D Land.

that comes in a few months, they are going to have a yearly subscription service like PSN and XB, supposed to be about 50 bucks a year

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
that comes in a few months, they are going to have a yearly subscription service like PSN and XB, supposed to be about 50 bucks a year

I'm not talking about s***ty free games to download. I'm talking about new awesome games.

Good God, the games coming out are just unreal. Deep, beautiful, immersive, different.

Jesus, I'm like 3% into Horizon: Zero Dawn and Ghost Recon Wildlands is about to come out. AND I'M STILL PLAYING MLB 16 AND NOW MLB 17 WILL BE OUT. And I'm still playing NBA. And I still have tons to do in Steep. And I still have Metal Gear which I never started. And I still have Batman which I never started. This doesn't include the tons of games I've already completed.

Man, we have it lucky. I'm a 34 year old with a kid and I have countless options for entertainment each night after she's in bed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm not talking about s***ty free games to download. I'm talking about new awesome games.

Good God, the games coming out are just unreal. Deep, beautiful, immersive, different.

Jesus, I'm like 3% into Horizon: Zero Dawn and Ghost Recon Wildlands is about to come out. AND I'M STILL PLAYING MLB 16 AND NOW MLB 17 WILL BE OUT. And I'm still playing NBA. And I still have tons to do in Steep. And I still have Metal Gear which I never started. And I still have Batman which I never started. This doesn't include the tons of games I've already completed.

Man, we have it lucky. I'm a 34 year old with a kid and I have countless options for entertainment each night after she's in bed.

Enjoy this time while she is unaware of what you are playing. Once she realizes that, its over.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Personally, I'll never buy a Nintendo console again. I was a little disappointed by GameCube, but felt completely ripped off by the Wii. What a piece of trash.

The GameCube was absolutely incredible. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Sunshine, Metriod Prime 1 & 2, Double Dash, Smash: Melee, MGS: Twin Snake, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Remake & 4, Pikman 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron 2, F Zero GX, the list goes on and on. The GameCube was awesome because Nintendo was still trying to compete with the competition at that time and had a very diverse library of games including a decent amount of mature titles.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
The GameCube was absolutely incredible. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Sunshine, Metriod Prime 1 & 2, Double Dash, Smash: Melee, MGS: Twin Snake, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Remake & 4, Pikman 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron 2, F Zero GX, the list goes on and on. The GameCube was awesome because Nintendo was still trying to compete with the competition at that time and had a very diverse library of games including a decent amount of mature titles.

I enjoyed Smash, Double Dash, and RE4 a lot. Super Monkey Ball 2 as well. Disliked both Zeldas, Mario Sunshine, and F Zero.

As an avid FPS player, I find the praise that Metroid Prime gets mind-boggling. How can we combine the traditionally horrible controls of a shooter on a console with a dull story, sparse action, and large amounts of walking around/back-tracking?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
I enjoyed Smash, Double Dash, and RE4 a lot. Super Monkey Ball 2 as well. Disliked both Zeldas, Mario Sunshine, and F Zero.

As an avid FPS player, I find the praise that Metroid Prime gets mind-boggling. How can we combine the traditionally horrible controls of a shooter on a console with a dull story, sparse action, and large amounts of walking around/back-tracking?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. While I'll fully admit Mario Sunshine was a letdown from 64, I really liked all the other games you disliked. Both Zelda games are great IMO, even if they aren't quite Ocarina of Time. F Zero GX is probably best racer I've ever played. And Metroid Prime wasn't trying to be a FPS, it's simply a 3D attempt at the classic metroidvania formula and Retro Studios completely pulled it off.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 02:10 AM)
And Metroid Prime wasn't trying to be a FPS, it's simply a 3D attempt at the classic metroidvania formula and Retro Studios completely pulled it off.

Right, it wasn't trying to be a shooter, but it adopted FPS mechanics for its action gameplay, and that gameplay was total garbage. I think the "classic metroidvania formula" expired in the SNES era.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
Right, it wasn't trying to be a shooter, but it adopted FPS mechanics for its action gameplay, and that gameplay was total garbage. I think the "classic metroidvania formula" expired in the SNES era.

Pretty sure you're in the vast minority here. The game has a 97 on metracritic and is universally praised by the gaming community. And the classic metroidvania formula is still incredibly popular even today. Might be mostly indie games, but there are plenty of releases each year and they are all well regarded I might add). Definitely not a dying genre in the least.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
Pretty sure you're in the vast minority here. The game has a 97 on metracritic and is universally praised by the gaming community.

Probably, but I think this (like reviews for many Nintendo franchise games) is a case of Member Berries in action.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall