2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Andromeda looks absurdly big and deep but also like a chore and maybe, kinda bad. I had planned on playing this day one but now I'll probably wait.

Yep. Sounds like it just isn't good. Bioware has seemingly lost their way. Dragon Age 2 was a mediocre game, Mass Effect 3 had a horrendous ending that took away from the series, and I found Dragon Age Inquisition to be a chore and never even completed it. I won't be picking this one up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Yep, got in a few hours last night. Amazon has a habit of doing this, probably because they have to ship 2 days before release in order for you to get it on release day so there's a possibility of the USPS delivering a day early, I imagine there are no controls once they hand it off to USPS.

It's the day before The Show comes out, AND SOXTALK HAS LIED TO ME.

You're dead to me. You're ALLLLLLLLLL dead to me.

:angry:

My first game in RTTS (carry over from years past, I'm in 2023 and a star for the Reds), and my manager calls me in to the office after the game to question me for trying to steal so often (Only took off on one pitch, it was fouled off). It was a cool interaction, but a little weird, considering I didn't even have an official attempt, my speed is 99, and I routinely steal 100 bases a year.

Anyone had to deal with the blood moon glitch in Zelda? i think the recent patch fixed it(and the frame rate issue) but my heart skipped a beat for a second when blood moon happened and I was in the middle of a dungeon

In my never-ending venture of being perpetually 1-2 years behind on video games, I’ve fairly recently started playing Batman Arkham Knight. I’ve played all the other Arkham games previously but somehow missed this one for a long time.

Being the perfectionist I am when it comes to completing games, as of last night I was up to the penultimate main storyline mission and had completed all the side quests including finding all 243 Riddler trophies. Or so I had thought…

Major spoilers to follow:

If you’ve played the game before you know that you have to defeat a number of militia checkpoints including watchtowers and landmines that are protected by drone tanks. The militia is led by The Arkham Knight aka Jason Todd.

Well I went through and took out all the checkpoints before going to the final mission with the Knight. Once he was defeated, the leadership of the militia was taken over by Deathstroke. So I played last night and defeated the militia force that was attacking GCPD. Afterwards, at least 4 more watchtowers and 2 or 3 more mines appeared on my map. Literally the same ones I had already defeated.

So much for thinking I was being pro-active. FML

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic.

Right up there with Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us for single-player console experiences.

I've beaten this game like 8 times. Never gets old. Game is beautiful. Hands down my favorite single-player experience (or at least right up there with the earlier RE games).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
Horizon: Zero Dawn is fantastic.

Right up there with Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us for single-player console experiences.

Challenging too. And, at least as I've noticed thus far, you don't lose progress upon dying. That was always my biggest fear with any game - play for 2 hours, die stupidly, and lose all your progress. Maybe I've just been saving better, but there seem to be actual worthwhile checkpoints.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Challenging too. And, at least as I've noticed thus far, you don't lose progress upon dying. That was always my biggest fear with any game - play for 2 hours, die stupidly, and lose all your progress. Maybe I've just been saving better, but there seem to be actual worthwhile checkpoints.

It quicksaves regularly and there are a lot of campfire save points. The quality of life in Horizon is amazing.

- No stamina system for running and good quick travel system

- Climbing/platformer elements are not frustrating

- Inventory management totally reasonable

- UI is great, easy to access everything, lots of shortcuts to necessary functions

- Camera always stays in a good position, icons pop up if something is charging you from an angle you can't see