2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone play OOTP? Just picked up the latest version a few days ago and decided to see how long it would take to get the Sox back to the playoffs. Ended up finally winning the division in 2021 with 93 wins, despite every free agent signing being a disaster over the years, which was eerie (Darvish/Carrasco/Nelson Cruz). Kopech/Lopez/Jordan Montgomery (traded Q for him along with Andujar who is currently the starting 3B)/Collins all made the All-Star team, Basabe is my starting RF (I've got Haseley in CF), Burdi is the closer and Adams and Clark are middle relievers. Funnily enough Covey is my #2 starter after Kopech and Giolito does well when he's healthy but he's always hurt. Moncada has led the league in SB several years in a row and I ended up drafting Seth Beer who is currently the #2 prospect (though still hasn't played a game in the majors yet).

Burger was drafted by the Nats and just hit .291/.350/.543 for them on the year.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)
Anyone play OOTP? Just picked up the latest version a few days ago and decided to see how long it would take to get the Sox back to the playoffs. Ended up finally winning the division in 2021 with 93 wins, despite every free agent signing being a disaster over the years, which was eerie (Darvish/Carrasco/Nelson Cruz). Kopech/Lopez/Jordan Montgomery (traded Q for him along with Andujar who is currently the starting 3B)/Collins all made the All-Star team, Basabe is my starting RF (I've got Haseley in CF), Burdi is the closer and Adams and Clark are middle relievers. Funnily enough Covey is my #2 starter after Kopech and Giolito does well when he's healthy but he's always hurt. Moncada has led the league in SB several years in a row and I ended up drafting Seth Beer who is currently the #2 prospect (though still hasn't played a game in the majors yet).

Burger was drafted by the Nats and just hit .291/.350/.543 for them on the year.

I love OOTP, but I really got to be the in mood to play it. I'd get it if it was like $5.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Anyone try adding external hard drive to their ps4 yet?

So I never got an answer from anyone after the countless times of me asking this. I went ahead and did it. I just went to Best Buy, told them I needed an external hard drive for my PS4, they walked me over to a section that had them, purchased one after price-matching on Amazon. All you do is plug it into your PS4, turn on your PS4, go to notifications and you will receive a prompt telling you to format the external hard drive. Do that and you are done. Easy as that.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
So I never got an answer from anyone after the countless times of me asking this. I went ahead and did it. I just went to Best Buy, told them I needed an external hard drive for my PS4, they walked me over to a section that had them, purchased one after price-matching on Amazon. All you do is plug it into your PS4, turn on your PS4, go to notifications and you will receive a prompt telling you to format the external hard drive. Do that and you are done. Easy as that.

Take the bull by the horns.nice job.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

That sounds almost too easy! Now I might as well do it. Which hard drive did you get?

• 1 month later...

This is a total "Cool story, bro" moment, but I just got MLB the Show 17 this past week and started a franchise with the Seattle Mariners. I played using a fantasy draft and included aall legends available in the game.

I got the #3 draft spot and selected Ken Griffrey Jr. from that spot. In round 2 I got Bryce Harper. Round 3 I selected Corey Seager, and Round 4 I got Carlos Correa. Round 5, George Springer. Pretty awesome draft.

I've made maybe 50+ trades and have played about 10 or so games into the regular season.

My team is the following:

C: Gary Sanchez

1b Anthony Rizzo

2b Carlos Correa

SS Corey Seager

3b Kris Bryant

OF: Bryce Harper, Ken Griffrey Jr., Mookie Betts

DH: George Springer

Bench: Yoan Moncada (primary backup infield: 2b, 3b), A. Beninteri (Primary backup OF), Will Myers (Back up 1b, back up Outfield), Kyle Schwarber (Backup Catcher, Backup OF), Luis L. (26 year old SS, super speed and defense, top 50 propsect)

SP: Noah Syndegaard, Chris Archer, Carlos Martinez, Micheal Fulmer, Danny Salazar

RP K Kela, Yimi Garcia, J. Cossart

CP: Aroldis Chapman, Micheal Wade (top 50 prospect, age 26, potential A), Rasiel Iglasias

In the minors I have Reynaldo Lopez and a bunch of other A level potential/top prospects.

Yeah, it's a 'cool story bro', but what makes it cool is that almost everybody on my team is a young guy in the game (sans 27) and almost everybody can run and field well. Additionally, not a single person on the team is in 'low morale' and only a few are unhappy with the region they play in. And that bench is so dope it keeps everybody fresh.

Just super fun. In case anyone is wondering how I did it: the MLB teams severely underestimate top prospects in the draft and then end up trading basically anything for them after... simple strategy. Load up on prospects in the early middle rounds of drafts and then load up on veteran RP pitchers and turn the prospects into absolute studs like Kris Bryant, etc. and turn the RP pitchers into serviceable young players or more A level prospects.

Edited by iWin4Ron

heh, that's no fun, the fun is gaming the system :D.

I've ran multiple simulations now and I can resign every player for the next couple of years and have a dynasty team. I'm also able to swing a trade of George Springer + 2 Top level prospects for Mike Trout after year 1 to give myself an OF of Ken Griffrey, Trout, Harper, Betts (1 DH).

Additionally, in some simulations I am able to sign Orlando Cepeda (sp) who is a legend, but in mlb the show is a young 24 year old A potential 94-99 OVR first baseman.

Pretty kick ass.

Also, it's very easy to game the rule 5 draft. Simply make sure you have room on your 40 man roster and room on your total roster and then enter the draft and simply draft 10 A level prospects then immediately package 3 of them to trade for 1 dope prospect (who doesn't need to be kept on the MLB 25 per the rule 5 draft rules). I've been able to get Bergmaan and Trea Turner rather easily doing this, amongst others.

DOPE

Edited by iWin4Ron

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 01:07 AM)
Haha lucioball is fun but gets old to me. I stick to competitive play. That way I can blame dps when we lose.

I rank higher in Comp Lucioball (Diamond) than Comp Overwatch (Plat). Therefore, Lucioball is clearly the better game.

I also enjoy blaming DPS though.

If anyone is looking for a Destiny 2 group to play with, I've got a consistent group of at least six, and probably more. We should always be able to fill out a strike/nightfall/crucible/raid team or two. Send me your PSN and I'll give you a clan invite.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
If anyone is looking for a Destiny 2 group to play with, I've got a consistent group of at least six, and probably more. We should always be able to fill out a strike/nightfall/crucible/raid team or two. Send me your PSN and I'll give you a clan invite.

I'll be back to drag you guys down, especially since I quit before TTK.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)

Hook it up. Same PSN as my SN here.