2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:13 PM)
Anyone got a working PS2 they want to sell?

I'm really craving some MVP Baseball/Madden 2005.

If you happen to have a Half-Price Books near you, check them out. I got a "fat" PS2 with all the cords and 2 controllers for like $30 just last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Maybe it's just because it's been so long, but Destiny 2 seems more fun than Destiny.

Also, I have a ways to go till I'll be super relevant in multi-player, but I did make it up to 13 last night, so I'm close.

There are two big things they did that improved progression...

1) No more grinding upgrades on your subclass and gear. I had all three subclasses maxed before I even hit 20 and weapons/armor come upgraded already.

2) Most activities (I don't think the story missions) scale to your level so you're not crushing low level stuff for no rewards while waiting for the reset to do the raid/nightfall for 95% of the time. It really helps a lot when basically anything gives you level appropriate gear (or at least until 265).

One thing that annoys me is the vertical maps and random ledges across a chasm. Why am I jumping so much? It's a FPS, not a platformer. I fail miserably in most of these sections, as my fireteam will attest.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
There are two big things they did that improved progression...

1) No more grinding upgrades on your subclass and gear. I had all three subclasses maxed before I even hit 20 and weapons/armor come upgraded already.

2) Most activities (I don't think the story missions) scale to your level so you're not crushing low level stuff for no rewards while waiting for the reset to do the raid/nightfall for 95% of the time. It really helps a lot when basically anything gives you level appropriate gear (or at least until 265).

One thing that annoys me is the vertical maps and random ledges across a chasm. Why am I jumping so much? It's a FPS, not a platformer. I fail miserably in most of these sections, as my fireteam will attest.

Its true

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
Very excited for Wolfenstein 2. Getting a AAA-caliber FPS title is absolutely huge for the system, although I'm sure if it keeps selling well next year's CoD will be on it.

Yea i am looking forward to both. That Nintendo Direct was really heavy on RPGs

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
There is a resale shop on the North Side called People Play Games that has a slim for 60, and they have both games for like 1.95 each. I may just pull the trigger, ha

I'm really into the Resident Evil series and the only games I was never able to play growing up were the Outbreak games. I keep hoping they will become available for cheap on PSN along with ability to play online but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
I pulled the trigger, and don't regret it for a second.

Starting my franchise with a 97 overall Urlacher, rookie Tillman, rookie Tommie Harris, Brigs, and just a two-headed monster of Thomas Jones-Anthony Thomas in the backfield, haha.

Maaaan, i really miss the ps2 maddens/ncaa's. Everything since that era has always felt alot clunkier.

Edited by SnB

• 3 weeks later...

For any Switch owners on here, make sure you pick up Steamworld Dig 2. It’s an incredible Metroidvania-styled indie title, but offers a lot of unique ideas & mechanics. It’s also not supposed to be super long (7 to 12 hours), making it a perfect title to fit in before Mario Odyssey arrives in two weeks.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
For any Switch owners on here, make sure you pick up Steamworld Dig 2. It’s an incredible Metroidvania-styled indie title, but offers a lot of unique ideas & mechanics. It’s also not supposed to be super long (7 to 12 hours), making it a perfect title to fit in before Mario Odyssey arrives in two weeks.

Have you played the Octopath Traveler demo? Pretty fun, looking forward to the full experience

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 14, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Have you played the Octopath Traveler demo? Pretty fun, looking forward to the full experience

I haven’t, but the game looks pretty cool and the art style is incredible. I should probably check it out, just have big a back log of games to get to right now plus Mario Odyssey right around the corner.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Just bought a Switch, with NBA 2K18 and Mario Kart. Any suggestions?

What kind of games are you into? Breath of the Wild & Mario Odyssey are no brainers if you like big single player experiences. Splatoon 2 probably isn’t for everyone, but it’s an incrediblely popular online multiplayer game and the campaign is actually really good (although pretty short). Snipperclips & Puyo Puyo Tetris are both great multiplayer games that are perfect to play with your wife/girlfriend. If you’re into sports games, FIFA is your only other option, although it’s lacking some features of the PS4/Xbox One versions. And there are a ton of great indies, with Steamworld Dig 2 & Cave Story being standouts IMO.