2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 12:36 AM)
PS4 Pro, Star Wars edition just announced. Cost is $450, comes with BF2, and has a custom Star Wars design on the unit.

But rumors are the PS4 Pro, just the system, will be $299 most places for Black Friday, so I plan to get one from Best Buy, and then sell my current PS4.

How much do you think you'd get for your current PS4?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Zelda is my suggestion.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Breath of the Wild. And wait two weeks for Mario

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
What kind of games are you into? Breath of the Wild & Mario Odyssey are no brainers if you like big single player experiences. Splatoon 2 probably isn’t for everyone, but it’s an incrediblely popular online multiplayer game and the campaign is actually really good (although pretty short). Snipperclips & Puyo Puyo Tetris are both great multiplayer games that are perfect to play with your wife/girlfriend. If you’re into sports games, FIFA is your only other option, although it’s lacking some features of the PS4/Xbox One versions. And there are a ton of great indies, with Steamworld Dig 2 & Cave Story being standouts IMO.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
ARMs is pretty fun too, a weird fighter game. The online play is really fun

Thanks. Sounds like Zelda is a must-buy, and I'll look into the others.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
How much do you think you'd get for your current PS4?

I haven't looked up prices yet, bit I figured I would list it on Facebook for $175, and then hope for $150. Hell, my parents may even take it from me for $150. Their PS3 broke last year, and they have no other blu-ray player. And their grandkids will be ready for video games in a few years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
Mario Odyssey reviews are in and it sounds like the game may be the GOAT.

I know what I’ll be doing up until Thanksgiving.

McCaffrey of IGN gave it a 10/10, masterpiece.

I think I have one friend who is in to Nintendo for whatever reason, and he said he's getting it. So I'll have to check it out at his place.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 01:18 AM)
Never been a Super Mario guy but I just bought the Switch so the GOAT game might as well warrant a purchase.

Odyssey is currently the 6th highest rated game of all-time on Metacritic while Breath of the Wild sits at 9th. So basically two all-time classics released on the system in its first seven months plus arguably the best Mario Kart ever released. Buy all three of these games and you will not be dissapointed with your Switch purchase.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit jealous seeing you guys all talking about SMO and I still haven't made the move from WiiU to the Switch. Odyssey might make me finally bend the knee.

Get on it, we need to have a Soxtalk mariokart competition

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
New Mario is $47 if youre a prime member.

Had to login to drop a big thank you to you for mentioning this. Additionally, I'm glad I even checked this thread in the first place. :lol:

Those games dont usually ever drop much in value so $47 is a killer deal with free next day shipping. I picked up a copy for myself and a buddy at 1 AM last night, logged in this morning to see that the deal is gone now. Thank you Soxbadger. :headbang

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit jealous seeing you guys all talking about SMO and I still haven't made the move from WiiU to the Switch. Odyssey might make me finally bend the knee.

I highly, highly recommend making the move to Switch. I had a Wii U and despite having some great games, I barely used it. The Switch is simply a better piece of hardware and its hybrid nature is a game-changer. Add in an incredible library of games (when you consider we’re only 7 months) and you won’t be dissapointed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
I highly, highly recommend making the move to Switch. I had a Wii U and despite having some great games, I barely used it. The Switch is simply a better piece of hardware and its hybrid nature is a game-changer. Add in an incredible library of games (when you consider we’re only 7 months) and you won’t be dissapointed.

Yea it's my #1 gaming priority this holiday season, I was looking up the list of games already available and I'm late to the show but definitely going to try and find one of the Odyssey bundles.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (South Sider @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Had to login to drop a big thank you to you for mentioning this. Additionally, I'm glad I even checked this thread in the first place. :lol:

Those games dont usually ever drop much in value so $47 is a killer deal with free next day shipping. I picked up a copy for myself and a buddy at 1 AM last night, logged in this morning to see that the deal is gone now. Thank you Soxbadger. :headbang

Of course! This thread has been really helpful and one of the main reasons I got the switch. Figured I could try and pass the savings on because $47 is what made me decide to get the game right away instead of waiting.

Also mine has been delivered so should get to check it out soon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
Well? Reviews?

Mario Odyssey? If so, the game is insanely good. I’m quickly approaching 200 moons & have just reached my 10th kingdom. I’m guessing I’m roughly 2/3 through the main story, but apparently there are roughy 900 moons in the game which is a crazy amount of content. Honestly, if I had to choose right now, I’d probably say it’s better than Breath of the Wild. It’s really just that good and represents the true successor to Mario 64.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:41 PM)
How much do you want to know? Played through it a few days ago.

It's a fun story, especially if you are even mildly interested in Star Wars. I will say if you aren't going to play multiplayer, $60 for the single player campaign isn't worth it.

Gonna see if the game is cheaper anywhere the next few days. Definitely past the days where I want to pay full price for games.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
Not sure how close you’ve followed it, but Battlefront 2 has taken a TON of heat since launch about the progesssion system and “pay2win” type development.

I honestly haven’t found that to be true, if you are good at the game the progression system is fine. I’ve really enjoyed my time on the game thus far.

I just want to play a game with a good campaign. It's the reason I didn't buy the last game: no campaign.